Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy's voice

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Randy's voice

I've always loved Randy's voice and I've loved his vocal performance in every song I've heard him sing. If I still had to choose one "ultimate Randy song", for me it would perhaps be "Take to the devil". The instrumentation in the verses is so bare that Randy's vocal is really "naked" at the forefront. Really sends shivers down the spine. But most of all, it's a jolly darn good song!
    Last edited by chaim; 03-22-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Randy Meisner added so many great vocal harmonies to so many songs that you hear (on the radio) all the time. (That is, in addition to all of the Eagles songs you've mentioned where he sings, or alternates, the lead)! His bass playing still always has his own unmatchable style.

Out on the Border

They lost somemthing special when Randy left the band. Also, if you go listen to the album "Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band Live, you hear Randy doing backup for Rick and the two of their vocals was...wow!

Banned

Randy definitely has the touch on "Take it to the Limit". Glenn sang it at the concert tonight in Seattle and I found myself wishing it was the 70's and Randy was doing it. Although when that song came out, I think I was like 14 and pushing it with the parents to get out of school early to be dropped off at the Portland coliseum to see The Who.

I really never quite understood why they didn't let Timothy take over the Randy songs since he was taking his place in the band.
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

p47, I remember thinking the same thing back in the early 2000's when I heard Glenn do TITTL. Glenn does a fine job, but thought it a more fitting song for Timothy with his high register.

But, maybe Timothy didn't want to do Randy's songs, too. They were friends and all.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    I really never quite understood why they didn't let Timothy take over the Randy songs since he was taking his place in the band.
    This is from an interview done around the time of HFO

Schmit: I told them I can't do "Take It to the Limit."

Frey: Not because it isn't a good song but because that's sort of Randy Meisner's territory and he (Schmit) doesn't want to step on it.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Thanks WC--I was trying to find that only to come back here and see you had! I knew I had seen that somewhere. I can see why that would of been uncomfortable for Timothy. Especially since it was the 2nd time he had replaced Randy in a band.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Banned

I was on my treadmill this afternoon. The plug for my iPod is twitchy, one speaker sometimes won't work. During "Take it Easy" it did it and Glenn's voice was gone and it was all Randy..."Standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona..." Fabulous!

Hmm... I've done that with a few songs but not with Take it Easy. I'll need to try that some time. Have y'all heard Randy's version of Take it Easy?

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind