Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Randy's voice

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Default Re: Randy's voice

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    I was on my treadmill this afternoon. The plug for my iPod is twitchy, one speaker sometimes won't work. During "Take it Easy" it did it and Glenn's voice was gone and it was all Randy..."Standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona..." Fabulous!
    I've tried to do this, like having my headphones only plugged in halfway, but it doesn't get rid of Glenn's voice LOL I LOVE Randy's part, and only recently focused on it and noticed he sings the melody completely different!! It would sound like a different song if he was the only one you could hear!

Yep, Randy is harmonizing with Glenn.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AstraeaLunaAvani View Post
    I've tried to do this, like having my headphones only plugged in halfway, but it doesn't get rid of Glenn's voice LOL I LOVE Randy's part, and only recently focused on it and noticed he sings the melody completely different!! It would sound like a different song if he was the only one you could hear!
    ALA, Randy is not "singing the melody different" - he's singing the harmony part. Go look up what those two words mean if you don't understand the difference.

If you want to hear Randy sing the melody differently in the sense that he has a different tone although otherwise it's a pretty straightforward cover, you can listen to his solo version of "Take It Easy." That way you also won't have to go to such trouble attempting to "get rid of Glenn's voice."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    ALA, Randy is not "singing the melody different" - he's singing the harmony part. Go look up what those two words mean if you don't understand the difference.
    I know what they mean, in fact I have the words Rhythm Harmony Melody tattoed on my arm. I also just looked it up on Wikipedia and it said "a tune, voice or line", and also says " A line or part need not be a foreground melody." So technically any line anyone is singing is a melody.

If you want to hear Randy sing the melody differently in the sense that he has a different tone although otherwise it's a pretty straightforward cover, you can listen to his solo version of "Take It Easy." That way you also won't have to go to such trouble attempting to "get rid of Glenn's voice."
    It isn't that I don't want to hear Glenn's voice, I just find it interesting when I discover a line sung differently than the main one, I like to try to imagine it by itself, I do it with any song by any band, just to get a different perspective on the song. I love Glenn's voice, actually I was just going to start a thread about it or if there is one, I was going to comment on some parts where I love his voice the most.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AstraeaLunaAvani View Post
    I know what they mean, in fact I have the words Rhythm Harmony Melody tattoed on my arm. I also just looked it up on Wikipedia and it said "a tune, voice or line", and also says " A line or part need not be a foreground melody." So technically any line anyone is singing is a melody.
    I would have thought that Randy's part is a harmony. The melody is sung by the lead singer (Glenn in this case).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_harmony

To sing vocal harmony in a pop or rock context, backup singers need to be able to adjust the pitch of their notes so that they are in tune with the pitch of the lead vocalist and the band's instruments. As well, the rhythm of the backup harmony parts has to be in time with the lead singer and the rhythm section. While some bands use relatively simple harmony vocals, with long, slow-moving vocal harmony notes supporting the vocal lead during the chorus sections, other bands make the backup singers into more equal partners of the main vocalist. In more vocally-oriented bands, backup singers may have to sing complex parts which demand a vocal agility and sensitivity equal to that of the main vocal line. Usually, pop and rock bands use harmony vocals while the rest of the band is playing; however, as an effect, some rock and pop harmony vocals are done a cappella, without instrumental accompaniment. This device became widely used in the end chorus section of 1980s and 1990s-era hard rock and heavy metal ballads as well as horror punk (which cites influence from both heavy metal and doo-wop).

Here's my list:

1. Take It to the Limit
    2. Take the Devil
    3. Tryin'
    4. Certain Kind of Fool
    5. Midnight Flyer
    6. Try and Love Again
    7. Too Many Hands
    8. Is It True?
    9. Saturday Night
    10. Most of Us Are Sad

I've made a playlist on my phone with Randy's songs in this order
    When I'm honest every song in that list belongs on no. 1!

"When you got no life to lose. Well, there's nothin' left to gain"

man he can hit those high notes. LIstened to "One of These Nights" today. Man he gets up there!

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I've always loved Randy's voice!!!! When he hits those high notes, damn that just gets me all the time. Just amazing!!!!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Out on the Border

I recently had a chance to watch the Eagles documentary on Showtime. I went to the Hotel California concert at Metropolitan Stadium in Minnesota in 1978 and again in Minneapolis/ St. Paul I saw them in concert for the Long Run. I was and still am in love with the Eagles songs. Nothing through my life had more impact then the song Randy Meisner sang and wrote, Try and Love Again on Hotel California. That song is my favorite of all time - all songs and all music, In my most down moments, from age 20 to now, it has been my "go to". Thank you for "Try and love again", the most important song I ever heard...and whose message has carried me through even today. I listened to it today. Like 1978, it still gives me hope, and Randy's voice..truly amazing.
    Mary W, MPLS

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

I adore TALA too...and I was playing it in the car on the way home today as well!!
    Welcome to the Border, Mary!!