Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of the "Solo Collection"

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: Celebration of the "Solo Collection"

I bought this cd from Amazon last week, and I didn't even know that there were new songs on it! . I bought to have some of Glenn's solo songs to play over at my uncle's and elsewhere. (I love my records, but they're not portable!) Unfortunately, my main cd player just quit on me. Luckily, my bluray player plays cds and it's hooked up to some great speakers (sorry about the noise, mom lol). I thought that this cd was the best bang for my buck as for as complications of Glenn's solo work. I got it really chθap new.
    I'm waiting for the cd to come in and then I'll have to check out the new songs.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

With all of the excitement over Don Henley's new album being released soon, I nearly forgot to say that my copy of this album came in today( alongside cd copies of Strange Weather and On the Border ). My uncle managed to fix an old boombox of mine, so I have my usual listening format set back up. I'll give the new songs a listen to after I mow the grass.
    -Kim-

Banned

I'm not sure exactly what is on Solo Collection, but I reckon with that and Strange Weather you have a pretty good overview of Glenn's solo output, although neither include the Frey tracks I listen to most; Lovers Moon and Two Hearts.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what is on Solo Collection, but I reckon with that and Strange Weather you have a pretty good overview of Glenn's solo output, although neither include the Frey tracks I listen to most; Lovers Moon and Two Hearts.

1. "This Way to Happiness" (Frey, Oliver, Tempchin) – 3:26
    2. "Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed?" (Tempchin, Whitlock) – 4:05
    3. "Common Ground" (Frey, Tempchin) – 4:43
    4. "Call on Me" (Frey, Tempchin) – 4:10
    5. "The One You Love" (Frey, Tempchin) – 4:33
    6. "Sexy Girl" (Frey, Tempchin) – 3:30
    7. "Smuggler's Blues" (Frey, Tempchin) – 3:50
    8. "The Heat Is On" (Harold Faltermeyer, Keith Forsey) – 3:46
    9. "You Belong to the City" (Frey, Tempchin) – 5:52
    10. "True Love" (Frey, Tempchin) – 4:40
    11. "Soul Searchin'" (Cameron, Frey, Tempchin) – 5:35
    12. "Part of Me, Part of You" (Frey, Tempchin) – 5:57
    13. "I've Got Mine" (Frey, Tempchin) – 5:35
    14. "River of Dreams" (Frey, Tempchin) – 6:08
    15. "Rising Sun/Brave New World" (Frey, Oliver, Scheiner, Tempchin) – 7:00
    16. "Strange Weather" (live) (Frey, Tempchin, Oliver) – 5:04 (only available on the import version)

You mention Two Hearts. That is one of my three least favourite Frey songs (the other two are Sexy Girl & Better In The USA).

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    If you're talking to me, I have Glenn's first 3 albums on vinyl (No Fun Aloud, Allnighter x3, and Soul Searchin). The only album that I don't own of his is After Hours. I do eventually want to get those 3 on cd for ease of use/playing. I bought Solo collection so that I could have some of Glenn's songs to hear on the go. Strange Weather was available for a nice price on Amazon on cd, so I got it as well.
    -Kim-

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You mention Two Hearts. That is one of my three least favourite Frey songs (the other two are Sexy Girl & Better In The USA).
    It's my least favorite, but to each his/her own! I'm glad there are some who appreciate its inclusion on Soul Searchin'. Glenn must've liked it too, after all, so I try to resist completely trashing it. I adore 90% of his music so I can tolerate what I perceive to be a misstep, and again, there are others who obviously enjoy it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I made a statement about my own opinions. I said nothing about what others may or may not think about the song.

Did you think I was chastising you? Your latest post sounds like some kind of a justification of the earlier one, which is quite unnecessary in this case. I was agreeing with you, after all.

Moving on....

One thing I think is very cool about the Solo Collection is the inclusion of one of my favorite deep cuts - and one of my top 10 Frey tracks overall - "Brave New World." I don't know why he included it, but I'm thrilled he did so!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

I love the ending of Brave New World. It takes an, already great song up another notch or two. I'd have Aqua Tranquillo rather than Rising Sun to represent Glenn's short instrumentals. It's up there with the Grammy winner IMHO.

I wonder why they lobbed 30 seconds off Smuggler's Blues. It's 4:19 on The Allnighter album.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Wow...I'd never put Two Hearts as a favorite, but I do like it a lot and often give it a repeat and listen to it more than once when the CD is in.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.