Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just the four of them?

Default Just the four of them?

This topic came up in another thread - the desire for the Eagles to perform just as a quartet, like they used to do in their earliest days (by The Long Run tour, they were being joined onstage by the likes of Joe Vitale, Jage Jackson, Vince Melamed and Phil Kenzie so they haven't been "bare bones" in quite a while).

But I just can't see it. Can you imagine them doing Hotel California as a four-piece, for instance? While it's true they could probably cut down on the backing band - is more than one keyboardist really necessary? An entire horn section? - I really don't think it's possible for them to play some of the current songs in the set as a four piece and have them sound like the original.

Even expecting Don to play drums on all the songs is a bit much, considering he is doing solo songs. For those solo numbers, he didn't even play the drum parts on the original album versions!

I do miss Glenn on the keyboards on songs like Desperado but I guess playing piano/keyboards night after night is pretty taxing.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Re: Just the four of them?

I would love nothing more than this! It would be so intimate and fresh. They have the talent, they do not need so many extra's filling every second of air time.

I would have NO issue w/an occassional "guest" on a song. Yes, HC, probably needs an extra guitar... so I wouldn't mind someone sitting in on a song or two... but just the four of them playing ICTYW or LE... OMG, swoon!!!

It would be raw, but that would make them put more passion in it. Listening to what they really sound like, w/out all the glitz and glamour... oh, my heart pines for this!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I would love it and it would be cool. I would have to say that I think having Stuart with the extra guitar would be fine.

As far as Don drumming on everything, I guess I would just want to hear Eagles songs and leave his solos to his solo concerts.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

That's true. I guess if they modified the setlist, changed arrangements and got rid of any songs they couldn't handle without help (except for the occasional "guest" appearance for a song like Hotel California), it could be done. It would take a LOT of modification though! Even when Glenn and Don play Eagles songs solo they use more than three other people.

This sounds pretty darn good to my ears. Granted, we would trade Randy for TBS and Bernie for Joe... but I think TBS and Joe could handle it.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44_rtJxPg0s[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJJMJDsGsL0[/ame]

More vocals, less instruments... ah, refreshing!

It's interesting to compare that directly with the (relatively) new versions to hear the scope of the difference:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB1_dJrSBrk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gG7P0aPEBc[/ame]

No doubt, the "newer" versions are full... but I enjoy the raw, almost "unplugged" if you will versions. I will admit, I do think another guitar is needed. I believe five members is probably ideal. Let them make Steuart, Felders official replacement and that would work!

Good topic!

I guess I'm in the minority - I like the sound of the backing musicians with them better than the sound of just the four of them. That was great then - this is great now.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Banned

Five members would be ideal, but if they were to "officially" replace Felder, I would have to go with my Ringo and George are not the Beatles and Roger and Pete are not The Who. I'd rather they just stop touring than add a fifth Eagle at this point.

The four remaining guys could handle it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm with ya, PM. Now if we could have our own little intimate Border concert, I'd love to just hear the four guys. But, to me, I love the sound the bigger band provides in the stadiums and arenas that they are playing.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016