Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Pebble Beach 2007

As I turned from the bar I just automatically started to take a sip because it was up to the rim. About halfway to my mouth I realized...dude! I can't sip Glenn's drink! lol

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

True, Dreamer. But I think at that moment there is nothing more important as to get that drink for him. I would exactly do the same.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Aaaaw....I didn't mean you all were funny. Just the whole story. I would have been right there with you if I could have.

And I hope Glenn knows now what devoted fans he has and appreciates them. Hopefully he listened when he was talking to you!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke

Clay Walker is so cute (especially with the longer hair these days! ) and I like his latest country single "I Saw Mama Before She Was Mama." Check it out. It's funny and cute!
    I watched the video for this on yahoo music...it is cute and I just love the sentiment of the song. If you're a mom, especially with teenagers, you appreciate it even more.lol And you get to see Clay's beautiful smile in the video.

There's another video called "I can't sleep" that you need to watch all the way to the end. It made me gasp. Now I don't personally find Clay "hot"...tho he's good-looking enough and nice as can be. However. When I saw this video...this was someone other than the guy I've watched golf. lol It's an older one...from 04 I think, and his hair is shorter. I have to admit I like the longer hair. I love curls on guys. :P

Default The big finish!

In an effort to get this up before GEF goes to Portugal, I did a rush job on the second half! (Hope I made it!)

Soda, PLS, and Dreamer's Excellent Pebble Beach Adventure 2007 Day 3 Part 2: The END!

Success!

When we walked up to the rope with our prize, Glenn was heading down the fairway. He started to come over to us, then paused and said “The next tee box,” pointing down the green. We nodded and obediently moved down to the right position.

After he finished the hole, he came over to the rope as the other guys were finishing up and took a drink from the cup. “Ah, that’s better,” he sighed, then said conversationally, “You know, as soon as you left, I hit three on the 8th – I never do that!” PLS joked, “What you trying to say, that I’m a jinx?” I added deadpan, “I’m sure the two events are unrelated.” He laughingly reassured us, “No, no, that’s not what I meant!” A caddy shushed him, but he just ignored the guy, lol. Then PLS handed him back his $20 bill. He took it without looking at it and shoved it in his pocket, saying, “Oh, my change.” PLS clarified, “No, this is our treat.” When I reiterated “It’s on us,” PLS indicated her wet hand and joked, “It’s LITERALLY on me!” He thanked us with a smile.

Aw, too cute!

Then, a cute little girl came up – she couldn’t have been over nine. She was carrying a notebook and was looking at Glenn hopefully. As soon as he saw her, he tried to get a pick out for her, which proved to be a difficult task now that he had a drink to carry. In order to dig in his pocket for a pick with his left hand, he had his club tucked under his right arm, his ball in his right palm, and the cup sitting on top of the ball in his fingers. As it leaned more and more precariously sideways the longer he searched for a pick, PLS finally offered to hold the drink for him. He thanked her and handed it back, then was finally able to produce a pick for the little girl. She smiled adorably, took the pick, and then asked him to sign her notebook. As he took the notebook and pen to autograph it, he asked her her name. She replied, “Taylor.” He smiled and said in a sweet daddy voice, “My daughter’s name is Taylor, too!” He signed it for her, gave it back, and she went happily back to her parents with her treasure.

When a nearby guy asked him for a pick as well, Glenn said, "Sorry - these are just for kids and old ladies." Since we had gotten one earlier, PLS, Dreamer, and I were like "Um, perhaps he meant they were only for kids and CUTE ladies?!" lol

He took the drink back from PLS, took another sip, and then handed it back to her with a grin. “Maybe you better hang on to this so I don’t get in trouble.” He added that it would just be easier if he kept coming back for sips instead of carrying it himself. I half-joked, “We can take turns holding the cup in order to share the glory!” PLS and Dreamer were embarrassed by that ‘uncool fan’ statement and shot me some dirty looks, but PLS did give it to me and I proudly carried it to the next location.

You want what?!

Going from the 12th to the 13th, Glenn came over for a drink and told me that we needed to give him our addresses so he could send us some “swag” as a thank-you for all we'd gone through to get the drink. I don’t remember how I replied to this, but it was along the lines of “That would be awesome!!” After he took his sip and handed it back, I turned to Dreamer who was next to me and said “Now, it’s your turn” (meaning it was her turn to carry it). Glenn looked confused, like he thought I was offering the drink to her, and said “Yeah, feel free to share it; don’t let me drink it all.” Dreamer laughed, “I don’t think you want to offer that” and I threw in, “Don’t say that, we’ll do it!” At that point Carl the Caddy called for him to come hit because he was holding up the game, and he moved away. We felt a bit embarrassed that we kept getting Glenn in trouble!

I told Dreamer, “Stay near the rope” in case he wanted to come back, then went over to PLS and asked her if she had some paper and a pen, because GLENN FREY wanted our addresses! The only paper PLS had was our copy of the pairing sheets, with Glenn’s times highlighted. It was too late for us to be embarrassed by that kind of thing, though – I think it’s safe to say that by this point, Glenn was well aware that we were there just to see him and for no other reason! After I wrote my address, I put “Yes, Indiana” in little print by “West Lafayette, IN” line. I thought I was being funny. Later I would discover that I should have put the ZIP CODE there instead.

Fairway Fun with Glenn

Then, PLS went to get some water – our drink quest had made her super-thirsty! Dreamer wound up handing the drink back to me to carry when adding her address to the sheet. I tried to keep up with Glenn, and he came over a couple more times to drink, but the crowds were getting thicker. Once again Carl came over. I joked, “Don’t be mad at Glenn – this is our fault!” He looked affronted. “Who said I was mad at Glenn?” I replied hesitantly, “Well, he said he was getting into trouble....” then I added “He didn’t say it was you though!” He walked off and joined Glenn, and I was left to hope he didn’t tell Glenn what I’d said.

However, I think there must have been something to it, because when Glenn came over at the beginning of the 14th, he finally took back the drink and said “I’m going to take this with me now. I got yelled at.” He took the straw out and handed it to PLS. “Let’s take this out so it doesn’t look so much like alcohol.” She stuck it in her pocket.

As he teed off, he stuck the drink in the grass. He hit wide. He picked it up and carried it with him as he stepped under the rope to get to his ball out of bounds. Some guy yelled, “You’re out among the commoners now!” at Glenn as he passed by, and Glenn laughed. As he walked down to the ball’s location, someone yelled “FORE!” (Overton had hit the ball onto another FAIRWAY, the shot was so off!) Glenn simultaneously spun around and tried to duck – not such a smart move on a slope with wet grass. He slipped and almost went down, but caught himself and saved the drink without spilling a drop! He straightened up, laughing heartily at himself. PLS wanted to congratulate him on not spilling the drink no matter what – “Isn’t that some kind of man-law?” – but she wasn’t able to catch his eye.

We walked down to where the ball lay and Glenn moved into position to play. A lady was nearby and a golf marshal told her to get out of Glenn’s way. In her haste to obey, she dropped the ziplock bag she was carrying, which burst open. A bottle of Advil rolled out onto the grass. As I helped her pick it up, Glenn joked, “What kind of pills do you have in there?” The crowd got a kick out of that. Dreamer added, “You got any?” lol

After he hit, he handed me the drink again, apparently deciding he didn’t want to continue carrying it after all. As he did so, I realized I hadn’t yet given him our addresses. I hurriedly handed the sheet to him. “Oh, you want to go ahead and give that to me now?” he asked, taking it. I nodded. He stuffed it in his pocket, and then went over to talk to the Advil lady a bit.

D’oh!!

On the 15th, it was becoming harder to get to the rope because of the crowds. I tried to get up there anyway with the drink. I saw Glenn pull out the address sheet and look it over, then look up at me. He motioned towards me – I thought he wanted another drink. I was coming over carrying the drink, but instead of taking it, he held out the paper to me and said “You forgot your zip code.” (I guess he had determined/recalled at that point that I was Nancy.)

I was mortified. I grimaced. “Of course,” I said wryly. I took the paper back and fished for a pen as the crowd eyed me with curiosity (In fact, a large guy a couple people over literally shoved his way over to me to see what Glenn had given me). Without anything to balance the paper on as I wrote, I did my best to make my zip code legible by tracing it over a few times. Finally, I handed it back, blushing. “From your mentally challenged fan,” I said as he took it back. He threw back his head and laughed, then turned around to go join his team. ‘Finally,’ I thought as he walked away, ‘I made Glenn Frey laugh!’

Moving through the crowd

Leaving the 15th, we decided the next strategic drink point would be to wait for him at the bridge to the 16th, where there were not too many people – just a few autographs hounds who had taken up that position in order to be able to get an autograph from every celebrity who passed that way. Seeing them, Glenn didn’t want to stop because he was in a hurry. The rest of the team was already waiting for him since he’d had to take time to give an interview. As he hustled down the bridge, one of these guys hollered for an autograph and Glenn said “I can’t” without stopping. Then, he overheard someone in the group muttering the word “rude.” Glenn paused and turned around. “Hey, PGA asks us not to sign autographs during play.” The guy who’d asked for the signature quickly said, “Oh, that wasn’t me...” Glenn looked apologetic and smiled. “Sorry, I want to be fan-friendly, but that’s the way it is.” With that he turned again and left for the tee. We thought it was nice of him to be so polite to the rude “fans” to whom he was just one more name on an already fairly full page of signatures.

Delicious!

By the 16th hole, it was apparent that Glenn wouldn’t be able to come back to us again for a sip of his drink. The clearing weather had brought out the autograph hounds like the above people in full force, and coming back to us would have meant having to endure a barrage of people asking him for a signature. We decided it would be a crime to let good alcohol go to waste, and we killed the drink ourselves. We also kept the cup to split amongst ourselves - hey, he told us we could! (I’ll post a photo of the cup for all the fellow fanatics). Would any less be expected of such hardcores?

We moved on to watch the team finish the hole from the top of the hill. We were a good distance away, so I figured Glenn wouldn’t see is. I titled my head, sighed, and gazed at him with unabashed adoration. Then, he looked up, smiled, and waved. I straightened up and hoped my star-struck expression was not visible from that distance! We waved back and thought it was probably a “goodbye” wave, since with all the crowds it was getting harder and harder to see him.

Before the 17th, there was a space in the crowd and Glenn ran to the bathroom. Recalling the ‘Take It Easy’ girls, we didn’t want to follow him! Besides, we figured we’d gotten our “goodbye” already. Glenn continued to play well on the 17th, getting a birdie. Clay was hollering “Glenn! Glenn!” at one point in what appeared to me to be congratulations. There was undoubtedly more camaraderie that day than there had been the day before!

A wet goodbye

It was almost the end, and we moved to the 18th hole. It consisted of a long fairway close to the coast, paralleling the ocean. It was a lovely vista, but the sea breeze made it pretty cold to wait there. Little did we know just how long our wait would be. They were OUTRAGEOUSLY backed up on it. Two teams had to play through before Glenn’s team could go. We waited by that rope about 45 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!

Things were about to take a turn for the worse. As we continued to wait, I began to realize that my feet were in excruciating pain! I wanted to plop down on the grass like last year, but it was soppy mud now (I still seriously considered it – my feet hurt that bad). To make matters worse (MUCH worse), a sudden storm rolled in from the sea. By the time those guys got up to tee, we were being thrashed by driving wind and rain. We were absolutely drenched. The wind was so strong it was turning the umbrellas inside out, and it was coming at us sideways, making us have to hold our hoods in place. Even Dreamer put her coat on!

FINALLY, Glenn’s team went. As he hit, we saw that he had put on a beanie-type head wrap over his baseball cap and snapped it under his chin, apparently to keep the hat in place! Going down the fairway, he did a cute “Mary Poppins” thing with his umbrella, holding it up and pretending like the wind was carrying him away.

We started to follow him – PLS and Dreamer moving much more quickly than I did. I was limping along like a 90-year-old, my feet hurt so bad. When I finally hobbled up to the rope, I saw Glenn looking at us, shaking his head and laughing as he did his best to keep the wind and rain off of him with his trembling umbrella. Still, at that point, I imagined he couldn’t have been too surprised at our determined display of devotion, no matter what!

And so it ends.

Despite the weather, Glenn was in great spirits as he finished up under par. He shook everyone’s hands and even gave Stadler a hug. Like Glenn, the weather hadn’t dampened our spirits either.... we had had a weekend to remember forever! I’m even wondering at this point if I should return next year... I can’t imagine anything like this sequence of events ever happening again.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default The cup!

The famous cup, as requested. Ouila!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

<GASP>... IT'S THE CUP!!!! it looks kinda gross, but the only thing that matters is that Glenn drank from it and his germs are all over it
    So goodbye rodeo, it's a long funny way for a man to go...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

WOW! What a write up! I felt like I was right there the whole time!

What a fantastic time you girls had even with the horrible weather most of the time!

Have your feet recovered yet Soda?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Part 2 was even better than Part 1!!!!

and that cup!! that is a piece of history to be treasured forever :P

But seriously ladies, I am soo happy that your time at Pebble Beach was so great . THANK YOU for sharing the many interesting, funny (sometimes a little mortifying, i know ) expierences you had over the FAN-TABULOUS weekend at Pebble Beach!

Stuck on the Border

What a fantastic, wonderful story. Thank you all (and you all deserved it).