Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Eagles and the Byrds

Out on the Border

Default Re: The Eagles and the Byrds

Another crucial influence, at least on Don, that links back through to the Byrds, is the Dillards. Don was encouraged by Rodney Dillard to get out to California and try his hand. The Dillards then have ties to The Byrds, The Burrito Bros., etc. As has been mentioned, Bernie studied banjo with Doug Dillard, we all know his role in Dillard & Clark. I'll have to find the reference to Don & R. Dillard and post it. I read it recently, but can't remember exactly where right now.

Out on the Border

Would that reference be, among one of many, from Hot Burritos: The Story of the Flying Burrito Brothers book? Excellent read.

Actually, no, I found it. It is the same author (John Einarson) The book is Desperadoes: The Roots of Country Rock. It's a source for my thesis, as is the Hot Burritos as soon as it gets in from interlibrary loan. Einarson has written quite a few books on the scene, and does quite a good job IMHO. I imagine the reference is from the same interview since it is the same author.

Stuck on the Border

This is only my opinion but I found the Desperados book disappointing. On every second page another person was quoted as saying 'that was the start of country rock right there'. I suppose everyone involved thought it was THEIR band that was first.

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

imo, country rock began with the Byrds (Hillman, Clark & Parsons specifically) and ended when Bernie quit the Eagles in 1975.

In celebration of the Byrds, here's McGuinn, Clark & Hillman from 1978 doing "Mr. Tambourine Man". love how they each take a verse:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2iICObdwb8[/ame]
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    This is only my opinion but I found the Desperados book disappointing. On every second page another person was quoted as saying 'that was the start of country rock right there'. I suppose everyone involved thought it was THEIR band that was first.
    I noticed that as well. There seems to be a debate among the various musicians about who started first, but IMO I think that is largely a response to how much credit Gram Parsons has been given in the media, especially since "alt-country" and the tribute album in the 90s. I suppose all of us probably have our own opinions on the matter. If I wanted to I could argue all the way back to Lead Belly or Hank Williams even though rock was not a genre, or I could say Elvis, or Buddy Holly, or the Everly Brothers, of whom I would argue the strongest. I don't think it matters so much though, especially since all of the groups/musicians had different angles they approached the music from. The clearest conclusion for me is that it may have been around for years, and someone may have done it first, but the Eagles brought it to public attention, and found the perfect mix of twang and loud. Just my opinion though

Interesting what you said about Gram Parsons. Bernie is quoted as saying, "You know, originally they didn’t give Gram enough credit. Now they give him too much." (source: Dave Carew)

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Interesting what you said about Gram Parsons. Bernie is quoted as saying, "You know, originally they didn’t give Gram enough credit. Now they give him too much." (source: Dave Carew)
    Very interesting indeed.

The Monkees 1966 debut album - Papa Gene's Blues, Last Train To Clarksville, and Sweet Young Thing.

Stuck on the Border

Of those songs I only know Last Train To Clarksville & it never occurred to me that it sounded 'country'. I suppose Michael Nesmith's subsequent career bears this out.