Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix, AZ 4-21-10

Default Re: Phoenix, AZ April 21, 2010

The Eagles, like fellow classic rocker Paul McCartney, continue to be an act that is as dependable as the sunrise when it comes to playing first-class concerts.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

You know I would appreciate this part.

What's everybody think about Joe dropping the helmut/hat cam during LBG? I think it had run it's course. I'm glad to see them do something for awhile and then quit. That way they don't get into a rut.

Again, I'm bummed that Glenn seems to be dropping his songs!

Can we hope?...do we even begin to cherish the thought of...NO SUITS!!!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I was at the last show of the tour for 2009 @ Cleveland, and Glenn's voice was pretty toasted, not hitting the high range very consistantly. So I'm wondering if he's being very conservative so he can last the tour a little better. Bet it's really frustrating for him. I know it is for fans.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

For the past year, people have been consistantly talking about how Glenn isn't up to par. I'm sorry, I know I'm tone deaf, buy he sounds excellent to me. Granted, I was not at the AZ show... but I'm gonna wonder if he had a cold or something... seeing as how they dropped NMCD. Remember when TBS had his accident, they had to cut one of three songs.

However, if in a month I keep hearing how Glenn is off... I'm going to have to say his voice is finally giving after all these years. Damn shame if that is to be the case, which I will hope and pray it isn't. Again, I will add... even if it is going... I'm too tone deaf to notice, because I think Glen sounds great, even in those amature youtube vids.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Lou texted me this morning just before I started work and told me I HAD to check out those pics...... I couldn't WAIT to get online!!!

AllI can say is YUMMY!!!!! Glenn looked lovely in that gorgeous fuschia shirt....... Mmmmmmmmmm. I see he has his wrist bandaged as well though. Hope its ok and not being overworked
    And the others looked pretty hot as well.

I sincerely hope that Glenn has not dropped both NMCD and Somebody permanently. I have had the priviledge of seeing both performed live and they are superb songs. While I would love to see SBR though there are others that could be dropped.

Still it seems that they are lookin' and soundin' good. So Jess, Lou and the rest of the Border party are in for a treat!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

You know, I have REALLY mixed feelings about this. I, as much as anyone, would love to see the band go on as long as it possibly can. I have always been secretly hoping that they would continue performing until their 40th anniversary year at least, even if that means scaling back the number of shows they perform. While I know some of you may disagree with me, I have never believed that this is just about money for the band.

However, I hate to see an Eagles concert turn into a sham. Even though Glenn has continuously scaled down his role in the live shows since the resumption, I was always content with him performing the customary 9 - 10 songs per show, which represented about 1/3 of the set list. But if the current trend holds, with Glenn singing only 6 lead vocals (and I am generously including How Long in this number), then it seems to me that it's not worth the current price of the tickets. I want to see an Eagles show, which to me means a fairly equal dose of Henley and Frey. Now, I know the average casual fan out there probably isn't counting how many songs each guy sings, but, again, they do want to hear mostly the Eagles songs that they love. I mean c'mon, it just seems wrong to me to go to an Eagles show and not hear Tequila Sunrise, Already Gone, or New Kid in Town (or at least one or two of them). I know they can’t play all the hits, but they need a better distribution than what they currently have. I’ve also always defended the decision to include solo songs in Eagles shows, but Glenn should include at least one of his solo songs. I’m not sure what the reasons are for this. I know both Don and Glenn have struggled with their voices at times in recent years, and that is something that they have to deal with. But, when your co-lead singer is only singing about 1/5 of the set list, then that becomes a problem for fans who are paying big bucks to see the Eagles, IMHO. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I think I would rather that they scale back the number of shows that they do, rather than seeing this continue.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

First I need to say---I LOVE JOE'S HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok--I tend to agree with Dreamer, especially about including the solo works but there has ALWAYS been one member that has NEVER sang a solo song of his in the shows and right now would be the perfect opportunity and it ticks me off that they won't at least try it for goodness sake. We've all agreed that there are a couple songs on Expando that the Eagles could do justice to. If it is Timothy's decision, then I will respect that. On that note, does anyone recall them ever saying just how they decide on the setlists?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I was surprised to see that Expando was for sale at the concert with all the Eagles "stuff". None of the other Eagles had any of their solo CDs there for sale. But then Timothys CD is the newest one out.

Stuck on the Border

Dreamer, thank you for your post. I completely agree with your sentiments (and yours, LTL).

In 2004 I was one of the very first people to see NMCD performed - but if I hadn't gone to Melbourne I would not have seen it at all.

Now since 2007 I was itching to hear it again, as well as Somebody and How Long. The way it is going I will be lucky if I get to hear How Long. Now perhaps people may understand better the problem I have with paying $500 plus for this with the only justification for it being my eagerness to hear LROOE, WITW and NMWITW. And let's not even talk about the lack of inclusion of any other Glenn leads from the album.

Dreamer says 'they need a better distribution than they have'. The current distrubution totally disadvantages Glenn's fans, as if we aren't important.

I would much rather see a song from Expando than LWKUA, a song which I have never liked.

I cannot understand the persisitence with Dirty Laundry, Walk Away & the return of ASWTDID at the expense of the far superior New Kid In Town & Tequila Sunrise.

I would prefer to see Already Gone back where it should be before the interval. I am not a fan of The Long Run. I suppose I have to apologise to Don's fans for that because I know they like to see him down the front, but I think he should play drums on Eagles songs (it's funny that he plays drums on LBG & RMW instead).

The worst thing about this is that it is Glenn who writes the setlists and it is Glenn who does this to his fans.

ETA: 6 SONGS - the same number as Joe. I am sorry, but that is pathetic.

Also he proved at the House of Blues show that he is actually capable of playing songs he has never played before (and even SINGING them) but when he goes back to the Eagles he just.... he retreats.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-23-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

AZ - thanks for that and I'm so glad that you enjoyed your first Eagles concert. I can actually still remember how excited I felt about my first show.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    On that note, does anyone recall them ever saying just how they decide on the setlists?
    And TBF - I can tell you that I would personally trade Parachute or Every Song Is You for I Don't Want To Hear Any More in the Eagles' set list any day!

And about the Eagles' set list - I would think they all have some input into it, but supposedly Glenn has the final say on what is played.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Count me among those who are VERY disappointed at Glenn's diminishing leads. I know NKIT is probably hard to sing, but Tequila Sunrise? He sounded GREAT on the video of that from Celebrity Fight Night, and that was just weeks ago.

If dropping his leads is due to vocal problems, all we can hope for is that he recovers quickly.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten