Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Phoenix, AZ 4-21-10

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Phoenix, AZ April 21, 2010

I don't think it's all about money, but that, obviously, plays a significant role. It goes back to the advice that Tim gave Felder in their last phone call after Felder's firing - "why couldn't you just sign the papers like everyone else ..." I don't think Joe or Tim agree with every decision that is made on the band's behalf, but they both accept that it is not their role in the end.

Let's face it - if it wasn't for the money that Tim made from his Eagles gig, he would likely not have had the money it took to finance the Expando project or subsequent tours. I highly doubt that this has been a money-making venture for him, but it was a wonderful creative outlet. His "Eagles" $$$ afforded him an opportunity to make this album on his own terms that he may not have otherwise had. I'm betting there are plenty of struggling musicians out there that would die for the same chance.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Here's my uninformed .02. As a long time Eagles fan and Joe fanatic, Joe's story is what i know a little more about. In the past he's called the Eagles a 2 dictator democracy and I've always figured that's a pretty good definition of how the group is run. Some of the members are more equal than others, rightly so. But you'd have to have a certain mindset (check ego@door) to be one of the lesser powered. Joe got a lot of crap from fans and some in the industry when he joined: he's a sellout, he's no longer doing it for the art but for the money, his creativity/talent/potential won't be used. I'm guessing Tim's peeps said some of the same things. Musicians are like eveyone, you make yer choices and live with the results, they must have their reasons. Joe said he was tired of being the group leader and all those decisions, he just wanted to play music.
    My only beef with the way the band has been run is that I think the big egos and the my-way-or-the-highway thinking has severely limited their musical output as an Eagles entity, and I enjoy them so much together that I resent the possible music we didn't get. But what do I know?? Maybe that friction is also part of what drives the creativity... I dunno. All that music/lyrics talent is available as individual artists during their "Vacation", but my favorite way is all of them together. That's why I'm going to what shows i can now, 'cause it ain't gonna last forever.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Border Desperado

The Eagles history is so long and with so many changes along the way... it is hard to go back and really think about what actually happened.

I've heard Joe talk about his solo situation...and if you read the Vitale Biography, it lays some stuff out. Joe is a really complex person, but also very much what you see is what you get. He is fun and quirky. But he is very smart too and very introspective in his way...

He is not a businessman, nor a leader, nor does he have a master plan, nor an ax to grind. Glenn and Don are leaders, have a plan etc. At the point that Joe joined, he was barely making it and the thought that he would (on his own) have to write the songs, pay the band, be the focus all night long etc... it was daunting and depressing and overwhelming to him.

He liked the Eagles music. (Go listen to Dan Fogelberg's Souvenirs, Joe produced that, it is very very close to being an Eagle record.) and he loves harmonies and he loves songs... His strength is as a player and as a rocker and soloist even though his heart is often in softer music. The Eagles offered safety to produce at the rate that made Joe comfortable, a regular paycheck, the freedom to support and solo his tail off and do his stint but not have to do it all night long and not have to try to headline.

his exact words. "Bein' a bandleader is tough. TOUGH."

When he does do solo stuff now, it is fun and games... he isn't feeding his family with those activities... he's just playin. Some guys are cut out for leadership stuff and some guys aren't. The smart ones find their happy spot and hunker down.

Tim is a musician. He loves to sing and write songs, but he is a bass player and harmony singer. I think like most of us, it would be fun to be the front man, but I think he knows that he is best in a more supporting role. He's always struck me as a gentle soul who just really wanted to make a living playing music and while I'm sure he has seen political crap happen in the band that he didn't like... I don't think he was in a position to do anything about it.

Felder & Bernie & Randy. The story goes that Randy could have written the song "I'm so miserable here without you, it is almost like having you here." Supposedly, happiness and contentment are just not part of his make up... that he is happy in spurts.... and that whatever he is doing, needs a complete change within a few months or weeks... he kind of believed Frey's 'all for one, one for all' spiel, but I don't know what Randy would have done had he been in leadership... I just don't see him really being happy anywhere for too long.

Bernie and Felder are the guys at work who can tell you how screwed up it is and how idiots are in charge of everything and complain in the meeting, but, if someone called them on it and said, "okay, you be in charge. they would have stammered and left the room."

I dig them all, but I don't think they had the stomach for leading nor for being led.

People who hate the Eagles usually love Joe Walsh. So, they don't know what to do other than say "he sold out." I think it is nonsense. But, I also think that most people hate the Eagles because they were hugely popular and they were/are arrogant.

I don't see it that way, but I understand their take...

That Joe Walsh live concert record is still a classic and he and that band were magic... I wish they could have made a couple of records!
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

I distinctly recall the moment that I heard that Walsh was going to join the Eagles. A friend of mine who at the time was working in a Bank in Zealand, Michigan, called me up at home and asked if I'd heard:"Joe Walsh is joining the Eagles!"

There were question marks in my mind when I heard this. I was still heavily into James Gang and Barnstorm. I think So What had just been released. I never thought about any "sell out" though I did really wonder how Joe was going to fit into the Country Rock mode used by the Eagles at the time. Then "Hotel California" was released and the questions were answered.

I don't get the objections to a band working for money. Lots of Money too. But if they are putting out good product, it's worth what it's worth to whomever is doing the buying.

I still love their music, but they have priced themselves out of me attending concerts any longer.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdubfan View Post
    My only beef with the way the band has been run is that I think the big egos and the my-way-or-the-highway thinking has severely limited their musical output as an Eagles entity, and I enjoy them so much together that I resent the possible music we didn't get. but my favorite way is all of them together.
    Very well stated jdf!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

bb, I think you are spot on.

And I remember when my husband and I heard that Joe had joined the band, too. We looked at each other with question marks in our eyes and said, this should be interesting. And it was and is!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    At the point that Joe joined, he was barely making it and the thought that he would (on his own) have to write the songs, pay the band, be the focus all night long etc... it was daunting and depressing and overwhelming to him.

He had also just lost his daughter and another marriage

He liked the Eagles music. (Go listen to Dan Fogelberg's Souvenirs, Joe produced that, it is very very close to being an Eagle record.)

his exact words. "Bein' a bandleader is tough. TOUGH."

I've had that album in about 4 different media types by now. Old Wave with Ringo is also pretty good. You're making the same point i was trying to, it wasn't his passion.

When he does do solo stuff now, it is fun and games... he isn't feeding his family with those activities... he's just playin. Some guys are cut out for leadership stuff and some guys aren't. The smart ones find their happy spot and hunker down.

Joe was lucky to find his "happy spot"

People who hate the Eagles usually love Joe Walsh. So, they don't know what to do other than say "he sold out." I think it is nonsense. But, I also think that most people hate the Eagles because they were hugely popular and they were/are arrogant.

I don't see it that way, but I understand their take...

That Joe Walsh live concert record is still a classic and he and that band were magic... I wish they could have made a couple of records!
    I wish that entire show would be released!! There's got to be more somewhere...Bill please release it!
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~