Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Honda Center, Anaheim,April 25, 2010

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Honda Center, Anaheim,April 25, 2010

Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    Well, that is a presumption, not a fact. And while I don't expect wholesale changes, I wouldn't rule out some revisions to the set list for the next leg.

Originally Posted by Freypower
    Such as?
    Neither of us have a crystal ball into the future, so I don't have any idea, but neither do you. I'm just saying that changes are possible in response to your insistence that the band never makes any changes.

Why not play both New Kid In Town and The Long Run. Some of us love both songs. And, of course, as we've said many times before, the average casual fan does not want to hear LROOE - they want to hear the hits.

Just once, I think it would be nice if the 'hits' mentality were reviewed. I know this is a minority opinion. I mention The Long Run because I don't see why nobody ever suggests that a Henley Eagles song could ever possibly be dropped, and that one is my least favourite of the songs he sings. I know it won't happen.
    There are a number of Don's songs that have been in the set lists in the past that were later dropped. I know I was particularly happy when they dropped Sunset Grill, but not so much about The Best of My Love, Victim of Love, or Wasted Time.

Well, FP, I don't follow that line of reasoning at all. If that were the case, wouldn't Glenn be inclined to showcase himself even more to prove his worthiness to the fans???

No. He doesn't seem to have any interest in 'showcasing' himself.
    So it sounds as if you are saying that Glenn doesn't think the fans want to hear his songs so he is content to wilt into the background, and let the more popular band members shine. Sorry, but I ain't buying this - Glenn just seems a bit too competitive to me.

But with regard to what PM is saying about Glenn's comments on the F1 DVD were made, I do think that he has always had the mindset ever since the resumption that Don would have the majority of the lead vocals in live shows. Every set list since 1994 has reflected this. However, until recently, Glenn still sang about 9 - 10 songs per show, which still represented about 1/3 of the set list. I was fine with that, and I didn't think his role seemed marginalized especially since he assumes the emcee responsibilities. However, he has recently subordinated himself to the point where I think it becomes obvious to even the casual fan.

Again, I definitely take issue with this. If this were the case, it would seem to me that the Eagles would not be performing at all.

You can look at it both ways, in my opinion.
    Well, I was responding to your original comment that Glenn was more interested in a leadership role than a performing role. My thoughts are if this is true, why doen't he just take more of a leadership role when performing then instead of subordinating himself?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I find doing the quoting separate chunks of a post difficult so I will respond to you in point form:

1. They have just reintroduced Seven Bridges Road, so they are capable of making changes, yes. The likelihood of them doing so for their next tour seems remote to me.

(And on this: Metallica have announced an Australian tour for October - November. This does not bode well for a possible Eagles tour unless that is scheduled for November - December).

2. See my edited post re Henley songs which have been dropped. But unlike Frey songs, they are replaced by something else.

3. You agree that Glenn has subordinated himself after you say that Glenn is too competitive to let the other band members shine at his expense. Don't you think you've cancelled yourself out there?

4. His interest appears to me to be in his behind the scenes leadership.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    1. They have just reintroduced Seven Bridges Road, so they are capable of making changes, yes. The likelihood of them doing so for their next tour seems remote to me.
    Well I don't know what else to say here except that you continously predict that the band will not make any changes, but then when they do you acknowledge that the band is capable of doing so. No matter how many times they change, you insist on always declaring that they won't in the future. So, unless I'm missing something here in your argument, I think we're at a stalemate on this point, and should just agree to disagree.

2. See my edited post re Henley songs which have been dropped. But unlike Frey songs, they are replaced by something else.
    Since 1994, the set lists have consistently had about 11 - 12 Henley lead vocals, and 9 -10 Frey lead vocals. Of course, the songs that both of them sang did, in fact, change, but the number stayed about the same. Glenn's role was reduced at the beginning of the LROOE tour, and now it seems it to have dropped again to the point where he has only about 6 leads and one shared lead. This has become a significant and noticable change.

3. You agree that Glenn has subordinated himself after you say that Glenn is too competitive to let the other band members shine at his expense. Don't you think you've cancelled yourself out there?
    No - I don't. Of course, I am acknowledging that his role has been marginalized (see comment above). While I don't know this for sure, my gut tells me that it's not all about his voice. However, it doesn't make sense to me for a very competitive person like Glenn to wilt into the background. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think any of us know the reasons why this is happening. I wish I did - but I can't come up with any logical explanation.

4. His interest appears to me to be in his behind the scenes leadership.
    I don't entirely disagree with your statement, but, again, I'd be surprised if he was touring if he didn't want to. But, once again, who knows - maybe he feels a sense of obligation to carry on until a certain point in time.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I found this videos from Anaheim

Hotel California [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og3-NSjkwcY[/ame]

Lifes Been Good [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ll8mT0ir0[/ame]
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

(And on this: Metallica have announced an Australian tour for October - November. This does not bode well for a possible Eagles tour unless that is scheduled for November - December).
    I may be missing the obvious, but why can't they tour at the same time? I know if they were and I had the choice--well I think you all know what band I would choose to go see.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I'm sure that by now this discussion needs its own thread. It's fascinating to read these comments.

I agree that we can speculate all we want, but the truth is that Glenn has not given us a clue as to why he is dropping leads. I just wish he could feel the love more and know what we fans want.

Here's the setlist WT posted in the Sacramento thread:

Seven Bridges Road
    How Long
    Busy Being Fabulous
    I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
    Guilty of the Crime
    Hotel California
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    I Can't Tell You Why
    Witchy Woman
    Lyin' Eyes
    Boys of Summer
    In the City
    Long Run
    intermission
    No More Walks in the Woods
    Waiting in the Weeds
    No More Cloudy Days
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Take it to the Limit
    Long Road Out of Eden
    Walk Away
    One of These Nights
    Life's Been Good
    Dirty Laundry
    Funk 49
    Heartache Tonight
    Life in the Fast Lane
    Encore:
    Take it Easy
    Rocky Mountain Way
    All She Wants to Do is Dance
    Desperado
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Wow--seeing it broken down like that. It really is kind of the Don Henley show with special guest anymore!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Pm, you read my mind! I was thinking about doing that in another thread and got to this one!

It really helps to see it posted like that!

GLENN, WE WANT MORE OF YOU!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

So that breaks down to:

Group: 2 songs
    Don/Glenn: 1 song
    Don: 12 songs
    Glenn: 6 songs
    Joe: 6 songs
    Timothy: 3 songs

I will admit, I didn't even realize Don was singing THAT much!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I may be missing the obvious, but why can't they tour at the same time? I know if they were and I had the choice--well I think you all know what band I would choose to go see.
    Both bands will want to use Acer Arena in Sydney and Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne.

I think the way PM broke down that setlist speaks for itself.