Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill

Default Re: Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill

Escambia County officials closed Pensacola Pass last night to deploy boom across the opening of the pass. They will continue to do so during incoming tides to keep oil from the sensitive waterways. During closures, navigation through the pass will be restricted to necessary watercraft. The pass will reopen to boaters during outgoing tide. The Intracoastal Waterways will remain open. The same goes for Perdido Pass. Meanwhile, some Escambia marina owners want to know how to keep oil-covered boats from contaminating the water when they return.

Border Desperado

What stinks is that the boom won't stop some of the really nasty chemicals from getting into those habitats... the water may 'look' fine, but the encroachment of the complex hydrocarbons are such that... well, all you can do is shake your head....

The fact that the oil company controls the cameras which document their mistakes, errors and probably malfeasance is about the same as letting the bank robber run the cameras in the bank. The result of poor estimation (to the temporary benefit of the oil company) makes cynics cackle and people of goodwill turn cold and begin to consider reasonable actions....

The fluid dynamics models of this spill are coming to pass... the early models were scoffed at (the same people who scoff at the global climate change models) and we are seeing them come to pass... to the detriment of all...

At Nuremberg we had trials for 'crimes against humanity'... I wonder if we'll ever have 'crimes against nature'.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

You don't have to be a "Tree Hugger" to be saddened and even enraged by the damage being done by that oil. Yes, "Nature" started the chain of events but it is obvious that BP and probably all the other oil companies and those who profit from them, had no "emergency contingency plan" worked out. Shame on them and Shame on us for letting them undertake that kind of drilling without proof of their ability to react in an efficient method during such a disaster.

MikeA

WEAR ABC 3 Waves of unsightly oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill washed ashore in Orange Beach, Alabama Saturday. Large amounts of the oil battered the coast, leaving deposits of the mess 4 to 6 inches thick on the beach in some parts. Tar-like globs have washed up periodically throughout the disaster, but Saturday's pollution is the worst our area has seen. The Coast Guard has demanded BP step up its efforts to contain the oil gushing into the Gulf by the time President Obama arrives on Monday.

Thick clumps of oil and a visible sheen are floating dangerously close to the coast, just south of Perdido Pass. At its closest point, the Coast Guard says oil is only about a mile out. Meanwhile, undersea sensors are being deployed at the site of the ruptured well in the Gulf of Mexico in an effort to better track the amount of oil gushing into the sea. Pressure is also mounting on BP to create special accounts that would set aside billions of dollars to pay for spill-related claims.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Yes, "Nature" started the chain of events
    I don't understand what you are saying here. Can you explain?

Am I mistaken? I thought it was a storm that caused the rig to collapse. I went back and read up on it a bit more. Sorry I WAS mistaken. I don't know where I got the idea that a storm had predicated the incident.

Sorry
    Last edited by MikeA; 06-14-2010 at 09:01 AM.

MikeA

Florida officials are temporarily closing a 23 mile stretch of water off the Panhandle to the fishing of crabs, shrimp and saltwater fish because of the oil spill. The closure includes state waters from the beaches out nine nautical miles from the Alabama state line to the Pensacola Beach water tower. Catch-and-release is allowed. Interior bays and estuaries remain open.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
    Am I mistaken? I thought it was a storm that caused the rig to collapse. I went back and read up on it a bit more. Sorry I WAS mistaken. I don't know where I got the idea that a storm had predicated the incident.

Sorry
    Mike, no need to be sorry, I just couldn't figure it out and thought you knew something I'd not read....

A couple of years ago, I went with a family member to see the doctor... she'd been battling cancer and we knew the meeting would be a tough one and she wanted me to go (her husband... well, lets just say, I needed to go with her)

anyway, the doctor was very calm and very sad and told us that it didn't look good and that maybe she could get placed in an experimental trial, but that she should start considering hospice and get her affairs in order.

I've faced this kind of bad news before with other family members... but, here she was 41 years old, two very small children, and just the two of us sitting there like kids... listening to our teacher or coach or principal tell us that it was all over...

The quiet desperation of that moment... the zillions of electrons filled with grief and sadness and the responsibility of knowing I'd be telling the news and I'd hear tons of comments and questions and maybes and whys and how do they knows.... but to see it all, right then, in that moment and realize what was imminent and what had been going on (with the illness and treatment and chemo and this try and that try) and to know it was over...

That is how I see this oil spill. The anger, hurt, helplessness that one can feel, I feel about this situation. I hope that the people who made the poor decisions along the way that got us here have at least a smidgen of an idea of how much damage they have caused...

Somehow I think people will just explain it all away... try to diffuse it, argue it... defend it... in this instance, I can't hear any more from the people responsible nor their supporters.