Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill

Border Desperado

Default Re: Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill

I was driving (okay in my prius) in downtown palo alto today and my phone rang and it was my mom. We were talking about this and I said, "get ready, the 'pooh poohers' will start any minute diminishing the impact of the spill and calling everyone idiots for worrying" and we laughed...

and my mom (a gun totin' avocado grower from north county) said it was so sad and that so many things seem to be going so wrong (one of our neighbors boys came home from Iraq a couple months back and killed himself two nights ago... 3 tours, he wrote, made life unlivable.)

anyway, I said I am so tired of the politics of everything... that everyone has a side before they even hear any of the details... I just wish we had one day in this country (heck, maybe the world) where we all agreed to just grieve over our losses. My sister in law passed from cancer two christmases ago, my sister passed from a brain tumor at thanksgiving and my brother's wife has stage 4 breast cancer and when she asked for a prognosis from her doctor he said, "well, were talking months."

Human beings are strong and stubborn and willing. We can get through all of this stuff, but it would be nice if we could stop fighting for one day and just grieve as humans... one to another, and just let some of this stuff go. At one of the funerals I attended, some family members got into an argument over political crapola! then environmental crapola! then food! it went on the whole evening!

I think we don't know how to clean it all up. I think some things won't ever be the same and I think we have a long hard road ahead with energy and the environment and that an 'easy age' of growth is coming to an end.

Most of us will survive, but I'd sure like to honor the people who gave it their best shot and didn't make it. And I'd like to grieve for all the things that our kids won't get to see that we took so much for granted that we let it slip away..... and I say this as a kid who remembers going to Pismo Beach in the 60's and my dad having to bring gasoline down to get the tar off our feet from the spills back then...

I think we ought to forgive one another and see what we can't accomplish together.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Banned
    Sunset Sound Studios - Buried Alive in the Blues

From what I remember about that 60 Minutes interview...BP was $25 million in the hole and threw safety straight to you know where to get that rig up and running.

$25 million's gonna seem like a drop in the bucket when this is all over.

This is no joke! Why wouldn't this work?????

http://www.wimp.com/solutionoil/

MikeA

There would still be a lot of cleanup involved, but it would be a lot easier and leave less mark on the environment that free floating oil!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Unbelievable!!! Seriously--why can't high payed execs or politicians see that it would work?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I'm sure it isn't as simple as scattering hay on the Gulf of Mexico and I'm sure there are complications we don't know about, but by God it is the best most practical sounding solution to the cleanup that I've heard so far!

MikeA

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Unbelievable! Hey, BP............
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Banned

Apparently, BP's main agenda is covering their petroleum covered butts.

Banned

Are people still buying all their gas? Perhaps we could give them a break from making so many trips to the bank so they have time to fix and clean up their mess?

Banned

Fill up, anyone?

No doubt that impending rise in cost at the pump is due to...Memorial Day weekend?