Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill

Banned
    Sunset Sound Studios - Buried Alive in the Blues

Default Re: Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill

Ok, on the "what if"s" again...what happens when BP's stock bottoms out to the point of bankruptcy? What happens to the project when those in charge at BP are planning their criminal defense cases (they might be worried more about themselves at that point)? And civil suits (eleven people died the night it blew)?

Who pays for this mess if they run out of money before it's plugged and cleaned up?

Oh yeah...us. And in more ways than one...

Banned

Personally, I'd love to hear a non-brain-dead opinion (and I'm disagreeing with your diagnosis) on this state of confusion. Maybe when Mr. Henley gets freed up from touring, law suits against intellectual property thieves, and whatever else he does...we'll get to hear his take on the oozing, spewing, goo.

But, then, I'd listen to whatever he has to say on the environment, politics, toilet paper...yeah, whatever.

Looks like us Floridians will have to invest in a pool

Of course we'll wind up paying big time for EVERYTHING. The rest of the world depends on us to do that and we always come through and bail everyone out so they can burn our flag, spit on us, force their customs into our society while losing ours, and take the blame for everything that's happened since the beginning of time.
    Well, that's quite a strong statement. Remember that not everyone on this board is an American. In fact, the American attitude of "We do everything" which has been prevalent since the WWII breeds a lot of resentment. It's true that the US has been acting as "world policeman" quite a lot - perhaps too much - but we do it largely for our own interests and not entirely selflessly.

As far as culturally, the USA influences culture elsewhere far more than vice versa. I lived briefly in the Middle East and my parents lived there, off and on, for almost 20 years. I remember being astonished to find Fuddrucker's Hamburgers and Bluebell Ice Cream on my last visit to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. McDonald's is a good example of how pervasive American cultural influence is. The McDonald's restaurants in the Middle East have a sandwich called the "McArab." Dubai now features billboards that show Beyonce drinking Pepsi. Those kind of things were once viewed with disgust over there (admittedly, Dubai is far more westernized than other Arab states, but as I said, things like McDonald's are everywhere).

Of course, it's not just the Middle East where American culture extends, although it's a striking example. The Soviet Union used to be considered our enemy. However, a few years ago when I volunteered to teach English in Moldova near Romania, I was asked by the students, "Teach us to speak English like an American" because their prior teachers were British and they considered that to be worth less - and the British originated the language! American influence is everywhere. I'm actually not quite sure what you mean about the "forcing customs" thing over here.

The oil spill is a major problem but I'm frankly disturbed by the lashing out against not only BP employees, but non-Americans in general. Let's keep focused on the real problem here - an ecological disaster caused by corporate greed and carelessness - and that's not just a "foreign" custom, folks!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    The oil spill is a major problem but I'm frankly disturbed by the lashing out against not only BP employees, but non-Americans in general. Let's keep focused on the real problem here - an ecological disaster caused by corporate greed and carelessness - and that's not just a "foreign" custom, folks!
    True enough and point taken, Sodascouts.

I'd just like to (for once) see the "let's help America" bandwagon pull up out front.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

and thank you Soda!

I was going to respond to this, but I hadn't found the time. Besides I like how you said it better than what I was gonna say!

NB, I know what you're saying, but I think the allies of the U.S. are usually willing to come to our aid when it is appropriate. However, in this case, this is a situation that was caused primarily because of the negligence of a private U.S. corporation. IMO, this should be BP's problem to fix, not the U.S. government's, and therefore, certainly not other countries. Having said that, our government (and the taxpayer's) will probably end up footing part of the bill for this. That's just seems to be what happens in these situations, unfortunately.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Well, BP is a British corporation, but my point is that we can't lash out at the British or non-Americans as a result.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

No but it is BP's oil and so far every thing they've tried to stop the leak has failed and it continues to ruin the Gulf

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Well, BP is a British corporation, but my point is that we can't lash out at the British or non-Americans as a result.
    You are right - that was a typo - put in one too many U.S.'s. I do believe BP stands for British Petroleum, doesn't it. d'oh!

But my point is that this shouldn't be a government problem though (U.S. or any other government).

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    NB, I know what you're saying, but I think the allies of the U.S. are usually willing to come to our aid when it is appropriate.

And I should clarify, Dreamer...I don't necessarily mean foreign governments. If there's anybody out there with legitimate ideas and credentials on how to stop the bleeding, please submit resume.

I'm just concerned if it keeps up as is, almost six weeks of leaking is the tip of a very nasty iceberg.