Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill

NB, on those points, we totally agree. The total magnitude of this mess (both literally and figuratively) is and is going to be mind-boggling.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    I don't recall lashing out at BP
    I know sometimes with these longer posts it's hard to read everything carefully, but what I said was that I found lashing out at BP employees, not criticizing the corporation, troubling. EagleLady made such a statement, which Dreamer addressed earlier.

And I sure don't recall making disparaging remarks about the non-Americans on this board.
    Perhaps, again, you skimmed my post and didn't read carefully what I wrote - that you were lashing out at non-Americans, not non-Americans on this board specifically, although frankly your generalization does include them. That's why generalizations aren't a good idea.

Let's look at the part I quoted again:

The rest of the world depends on us to do that and we always come through and bail everyone out so they can burn our flag, spit on us, force their customs into our society while losing ours, and take the blame for everything that's happened since the beginning of time.
    Who are you criticizing here, if not non-Americans? If you are referring to certain groups, such as terrorists, it would help make that kind of thing clear so that people from other countries don't get offended. And yes, I know of at least one non-American board member who took offense as a result of the generalization.

As for the forcing customs, the old statement "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" has lost its meaning. Used to be when someone came to America, they merged into the population, learning the language, if possible, and the customs while retaining theirs.
    I agree with you here.

IMHO, people who come to America need to learn our language and adapt to our society, but I differentiate that from them forcing THEIR customs on US. I sure as heck don't feel the need to bow down with my head towards Mecca five times a day because there are Muslims in town who do.

Any opinions on this OIL SPILL topic are welcomed.
    Any opinions relevant to this discussion are welcome. Hopefully people here have enough discernment to figure out what is relevant and what is not based on the context of the posts.

But don't worry, if a post veers totally off topic into a new discussion, I'll move it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I apologize for lashing out like that, it's just this whole mess has gotten me so angry. I care about our beaches.

I appreciate that, EagleLady. I know it's upsetting, to say the least. I think it's safe to say we all care about the environment here.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

About time The Government did something right

Oh my. When will we ever learn? Were the money spent on drilling dinosaur fuels, processing them, and burning them, not to mention the money spent on a crash and burn effort to cap that pressurized oil bomb and then the cleanup of what damage it has caused and the resulting loss of what can hardly have a price put on it....if all that had been funneled into alternate fuels such as solar, electrical and hydrogen, we may find that we just don't have the demand for all that fossil fuel!

Solar....okay but not developed enough to provide enough power to eliminate the need for Nuclear energies.

Electric....as in vehicles powered by electrical means. Storage is a big problem. It does little good to have a vehicle that you charge for 24 hours and then can drive for less than 5 hours before having to recharge. Hybrids are a nice fad and provide a warm fuzzy....but there is no way a hybrid will ever save enough in gas to pay for the difference between and identical gas powered vehicle.

Hydrogen:....I don't know all the details on this one. Right now, there is mainly only one avenue being researched seriously and that is fuel cells for liquid Hydrogen. Folks, can we say Hindenberg? BOOM! But there are other methods of hydrogen all of which have serious safety issues. Hydrolysis is one that requires an electrical charge and a strip of zinc....you've all probably experienced this in High School Chemistry. Pour water into a bottle, seal it with a zinc strip in it, apply an electrical charge and the Oxygen and Hydrogen are separated....and any spark will cause both gases to explode big time!

Yet, it does look like Hydrogen is the most promising alternative being researched right now.

What I'm waiting on is the breakthrough that will let us put a microspec of antimater into a pinhole of a container in the rear end of a vehicle and drive it at supersonic speeds between cities...what the heck...PLANETS! And then the STARS....if we live through the current cycle of brilliance here on Earth!

MikeA

Tell us something we don't know BP, Like we don't know why YOU let this Spill get so far on our beaches

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

This is all just so heartbreaking!

....and i'm sorry, I can't find words to elucidate on the subject - but what's the point anyway? it won't help anything
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

This is being posted all over FB today--mine included....

British
    Petroleum (BP) rep Randy Prescott made a comment, “Louisiana isn’tthe
    only place that has shrimp.” His office phone number is (713)323-4093(713)323-4093.
    His email is randy.prescott@bp.com. Give him a call or send an
    email! Tell him “BP isn’t the only place that has fuel for my car!”
    PLEASE REPOST

Who knows---but it might make a few people feel better to get it off their chest!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

This is a terrible tragedy and all, but think about this:

This is not the only oil well in the world. Getting this one fixed has boggled the minds of lots of very smart people. All the while that this one has been leaking, others around the world are pumping. What if this (or something like it) happens at another well? Evidently, no one really knows how to fix this kind of problem, but yet, they are still pumping away. Are there regulations in place now? So what? Regulations don't matter when there is no known fix anyway. So, how do these companies manage to keep pumping when they are clearly in violation for not having emergency plans in place? BP isn't the only petroleum company out there.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten