Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    It's interesting that one band, in its many different forms, could mean so many different things to so many.

I have to say my favorite combo is the magic five - Glenn, Don, Randy, Felder, and Joe. That was their most creative period, IMO, and that was the same group before and after the 14 year-long break.

This is just one we can agree to disagree on, cause it's very personal for each one of us. I guess we can all agree that the Eagles are America's greatest legendary band...no matter how it looks. The music has resonated for 45 years...and hopefully continues on forever...even if everyone is now a Former Eagle.
    If that is your favourite line up fair enough, but Timothy B. Schmit, joined the band in 1977, was with them when they broke up, and was with them when they reformed in 1994.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I think the Eagles were unique in that every single member can sing and write songs (*) Few bands can say that. I wouldn't want to rank them in order. The style of the band changed, which kept things fresh. I've got a growing appreciation for Long Run Out of Eden. IMHO it compares very well with the earlier albums.

Returning to the OP, there aren't that many former Eagles. Couldn't the subforums for all them be listed with equal prominence? However, I'm not one for telling forum owners how to run their forum; the current structure is fine too.

(*) I'll ignore whether or not technology plays a part in this for one ex-member - I can't complain as I'm going to be spending hours practicing using Izotope's pitch-corrrection and harmony creation tool today - let he who is without sin...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I think the Eagles were unique in that every single member can sing and write songs (*) Few bands can say that. I wouldn't want to rank them in order. The style of the band changed, which kept things fresh. I've got a growing appreciation for Long Run Out of Eden. IMHO it compares very well with the earlier albums.

Returning to the OP, there aren't that many former Eagles. Couldn't the subforums for all them be listed with equal prominence? However, I'm not one for telling forum owners how to run their forum; the current structure is fine too.

(*) I'll ignore whether or not technology plays a part in this for one ex-member - I can't complain as I'm going to be spending hours practicing using Izotope's pitch-corrrection and harmony creation tool today - let he who is without sin...

I can't speak for Soda but the reason she did it this way originally was because the three former Eagles as they were then were far less active than the last current lineup. That is still the case for Randy Meisner & Bernie Leadon has done nothing outside the HOTE Tour.

They are all former Eagles now & I personally think the format should remain as it is.

Banned

If they are all now former Eagles, where's the distinction?

The most obvious one would be original and subsequent but I'd prefer Equal billing.

I think it works fine as it is. I've had no complaints since I created the subforums six years ago when this thread was begun. If the only people complaining are Funk 50 (who loves to cruelly twist the knife about Glenn's death) and Annoying Twit, then I'm not going to bother to change it.

If more invested members think it's a good idea, though, I'll consider making the change.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Oops, my bad, didn't mean to dis Timothy . I know he came on..78, I think.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I agree with Soda, I think it works well as it is currently and can see no reason why it should be changed. I think Don, Glenn, Joe and Tim deserve higher billing because there is a lot more interest and activity in their sections than those of the former members. In particular, I think there is noticeably more discussion about their solo albums than those released by Bernie, Randy and Felder. I think it is fair to say that Bernie's albums in particular are somewhat obscure even amongst dedicated fans and not frequently discussed, but even in the time I have been on this forum (18 months or so) I have seen very little discussion about either of Felder's solo albums, even the much more recent Road To Forever. By contrast, Glenn and Don's solo albums are acknowledged on the anniversary of their release date every year as the Eagles albums are, and these inspire more detailed reviews, opinions and analysis.

I would also add that it is unusual to see a day where no one posts on Don and Glenn's boards, whereas Bernie's board is quite frequently inactive (at the time of writing, there are topics from over five years ago that are on the first page of Bernie's board, whereas on Glenn's board the first page only covers topics from the last two months) and activity in Randy and Felder's boards fluctuates. In short, I feel the current prominence of each section is fair and accurately reflective of the overall popularity of the different band members on the board, it is easy to use and navigate and I am happy with the format as it is.

I'm good with either. It really doesn't matter at this point.

To me they are all on the same level and I like to think they all are Eagles now, no more past vs current, no more old vs new. It's sad that it's happened this way.

I like to think that eventually in time all of the members (including Don Felder) would have been asked back to the band and played a show together but it wasn't meant to be evidently.

I mean there are so many rabbit holes you could go down with on this. You could break it up by band era and years active, you could rename it "other Eagles", you could put them all on one page, etc, but meh, what's the point. It's a headache for little benefit IMO.

I'm good with whatever Soda does.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I agree with Soda. The lineup that finished was Glenn , Don H, Timothy and Joe. They are the Eagles. Even throughout the HOTE tour Bernie was billed as a 'Special guest' and did not feature on the credits as a full Eagle. He also did not participate in the full show. I would prefer to keep the forum layout as it is. We've had enough change and enough to put up with the last few months.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I think it's fine the way it is too.