Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: San Jose, CA 4-30-10

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: San Jose, CA 04-30-10

New thread entitled, "What will Rhonda say to Joe at the M & G". We shall take bets and odds everyone put in $1. Could be interesting. Cami will have to be there with a recorder to make it all fair!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I was considering making a thread titled What Would You Do if You Ran Into An Eagle. I thought it would be interesting to see whether anyone would speak! I don't have time right now so if anyone wants to discuss it go ahead and start the thread and I'll jump in when I can.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Okiedoke, here's my review ...

The internet’s been around for some time now and most of us who’ve had some experience on it have met some people we consider friends even though we’ve never smelled their smelly morning breath or listen to their noses whistle during the quiet spots in a movie. Still, all in all we feel pretty close to them and capable of sharing more intimate details of our personal lives and own thoughts and feeling with those people. But how often have you met up with a group of these same people and feel as if they were you closest boon companions and fellow partners in crime? Okay, so maybe that’s a slight exaggeration, but considering it was less them a 24 hour period we actually had in face time, I think Partners in Crime is highly appropriate.
    Cami and I drove from Medford to San Jose on Thursday leaving at 6am. With two short stops (one for food and necessities and one for flipflops) we arrived in San Jose and at the hotel about 2pm. We were met by Nancy, Lissa, Lou, Jess and Annie with hugs and smiles. The hotel was outrageously posh with marble pillars and Persian rugs. A piano bar was a few steps down from the check in desk and a coffee cart (THAT WAS NEVER OPEN %&*$#^&$%) was directly between the two. Our room was gorgeous and over looked a crystal blue swimming pool and included a large flat screen TV, a HUGE bathroom with separate shower and tub, plush soft bathrobes and a two line phone in the toilet!! (in case you want to call Mom AND Dad and tell them the good news!!) The Bed’s were wayyy too comfortable and once on them, you really didn’t want to leave, but we had a date!
    We dressed in our concert best and met Jess and Lou and Annie and Nancy and Lissa in Jess and Lou and Annie’s room. We all hopped in Lissa’s car for a exciting ride to “On The Border” where we enjoyed margaritas and some other stuff. Then we hopped back in Lissa’s car and sped mightily through traffic towards the hotel where we traded Lissa’s car for Cami’s and we sped off to the Pavillion. After some running around, ticket acquisition and seat finding, we were seated, twelfth row on either end. Eight of the seats between us were EMPTY!!! So I moved one seat over to avoid Mr. Melon-head who was seated with his wife, Mrs Shorty Never-stand-up, and things were perfect. The lights went down, the crowd roared as the guys took the stage dressed in Jeans and flannel and cotton and looking comfortable, relaxed and happy. They stood up front and sang Seven Bridges Road. WOW! It was fantastic. It wasn’t exactly the same as it had been back 30some odd years ago, but their voices were deeper and richer and the song resonated through the venue like fine wine.
    “I LOVE THIS SONG!” came from the man behind me. He was very enthusiastic! The crowd again roared their appreciation for the song but little or no standing yet. Next they did How Long!
    “I LOVE THIS SONG!” came from behind me again accompanied by enthusiastic dancing and drumming. They did such a great job and a few people started to stand and dance.
    Next was Busy Being Fabulous which I was very happy to see make it’s way back!
    “I FREAKIN LOVE THIS SONG!!” again… this time his wife laughed and said “You love every song.” I had to laugh I turned my head and said “He has good taste!”
    She laughed and said she thought about stealing my camera because she liked the pictures I was talking. From that moment on, they were my partners in criminal photography *G* Not that they complained at ALL about taking pictures (THANKS HP PAVILLION!!) but still I didn’t want to be too obvious.
    Next Tim sang IDWTHA and it was beautiful. I know you all know by now the things they say, jokes they make and references they make to other artists and song writers, so I wont go into a lot of explanations here. I know someone else will hit those areas so I kind of want to stick with the guys and tell you how they did.
    Next came Guilty of the Crime which I was VERY happy to hear also (of course *G*) and Joe’s voice was so strong and clean he sounded great! And at the end of that, we were ON OUR FEET!!! *G*
    This is when Glenn stepped up and talked about the last two songs being on the new album. I have got to tell you, he looked good! Maybe a little thin, but the man is working his backside off!! God love ya Glenn!! I know we all do!!
    When Glenn finished talking, the horns for HC started. The guy behind me sounded a little confused, then he started.. “ohh man.. OHHH man.. OH MAN!! THIS IS IT!! ITS MY SONG !! YEAH BAYBEEE!! MY SONG!!! I F**KING LOVE THIS SONG*!!”
    Of course, we were on our feet.. again.
    By the time the next song, PEF, started, the very large happy man behind me was giggling like a school girl. EVERYONE sang and it was great!
    SO, now you get the picture of my environment. I loved it. Even Mr. Melon-Head and Mrs. Never-Stand-Up were having a good time. Cami and I swayed and sang every song and when intermission came along, she and Annie braved the restrooms and searched out bottled water. (Thanks Again Annie!!! She brought me a bottle of $4 water! Crazy!! I owe ya!!!) Lou and Jess decided Lou would trade places with Annie at intermission so Annie and Jess could sit together for a while. Lou sat with Cami and I for the rest of the show.
    Next came No More Walks in the Woods. There also came the missing 8 people who had the seats next to us!!! And they were NOT great about getting by us, which they did several times!! Well, we wont go there. Now I haven’t been a big proponent of NMWITW but I gotta say, it was beautiful and very moving as was Waiting in the Weeds, a new favorite of mine. A Large part of this due to the fact that Don was looking SO FREAKIN FINE! His hair, his clothes, he smiled and laughed, he looked relaxed and happy and he was having fun!!! THAT’S the Don I want to see! Yum!
    I’ve always liked NMCD and it was really beautiful. Glenn looked really into the music and his guitar playing was exceptional! Glenn needs to rock out more often!! (not that he did in NMCD but I just love to see him really get into his playing)
    LWKUA was next. I LOVE to see Tim play this song!!! He gets sooo deeply involved in the music and just seems to loose himself there. It’s very intimate and sexy. This is also a great sing a long song. I just need to say here, Tim was looking really good! His long legs, long hair and loooong guitar *G* make him one heck of a tall drink of cool water *G*
    When Glenn announced TITTL he didn’t make the credit card joke! Which is probably a good thing but he did invite everyone to jump up in the aisles and waltz *G* I was tempted, but restrained myself.
    LROOE was very moving but very long. Don’s voice was strong through it all and he never wavered! I discussed some of the lyrics with Happy man behind me and Lou. They had differing opinions. Happy Man thought it was quite poignant and moving, Lou thought it was down right sexy and Don’s hair was to die for *G* I agreed with both.
    WALK AWAY!!! AHHHHHH!!!!! I couldn’t stay still.. It was FREAKIN AWESOME!!! Joe looked edible! His hair is PERFECT!!! His clothes PERFECT!! (I know the whole cowboy shirt thing doesn’t work for some of ya’ll but I am absolutely loving it all!!!) This is the point at which, had my knees been better, had I been 20 years younger, had I been stoned, I would have rushed the stage! *G* It rocked!
    OOTN, again, Don’s soooo on with his voice and everything, the scruffy beard thingie, the hair, the clothes, the fact he was smiling and enjoying the night, well almost makes a Joe girl turn her head… almost…
    Lifes Been Good, well it was that night! It was so much fun to watch Joe play this song and just have fun. He Chuck Berry’d across the stage, he played with Glenn and Don and Tim, he smiled and laughed and I thought, “Don who?” *G*
    Dirty Laundry was next and again, Don out did himself!! The funny fake magazine covers at the end were hilarious! But I missed Joes! Mr. Melon-Head had to have a long conference with Mrs. Never-Stand-Up and I could only see half of the back screen.
    Funk 49 ROCKED!!!! Joe is sooooooo amazing on the guitar and watching him play is like musical foreplay (okay yeah I know, WAYYYY TMI, right? But.. really…wow) They went straight into Heartache Tonight after that and EVERYONE was on their feet. I mean Dirty Laundry got em there, F49 kept em there and HT was, well.. just fuel on the fire! We danced! We bounced! We screamed!!
    When LITFL started well.. what can I say? Chuck-a-chong chuck-a-chong! We just kept rockin’! The song ended, the stage went black and the guys walked off. The crowd roared. It was a LONG time before the came back out! I got a cramp in my elbow from clapping!! My knees were swollen to the size of cantaloupes and I had no voice left. But WTH, who cares!! Its OUR GUYS!!! We roared!!! They returned!! (some people actually LEFT! Can you believe it? Sheeesh!)
    They did TIE and the audience sang along so loudly, we didn’t need speakers! *G* Rocky Mountain Way had me on my sore swollen knees again but loving every second of it! Desperado made Happy Man cry *G* but in a good way, happy crying *G* I tried to sing a long, but there wasn’t much left of my voice. AND… that was it. I guess they got a pretty late start so they skipped ASWTDID, which is a shame because we missed Glenn’s dancing. I really hope they play it in Portland.
    Okay, so, the show’s over, I can barely walk and I'm staring at a set of stairs going up and out the likes of which is somewhat intimidating, but Jess (bless her sweet head) asked a security lady about the elevator. There was one towards the back, no stairs and a short line. ON THE WAY.. we spotted tour crates with The Eagles printed on them AND a sign saying “All Dressing Rooms This Way ” I stopped and pointed at the sign. I think Jess got a picture. The security guy was laughing at us. I said “Yeah, I know, we’re pathetic, but we’re fans *G*” He just smiled, but another lady security guard shoo’d us away. (Nazi..)
    A nice man got on the elevator with us and was pretty thrilled about having 5 gorgeous women alone for all of 30 seconds. Still, it was pretty cute.
    Cami got us the car, we bought T-shirts and headed back to the hotel instead of the karaoke bar we’d talked about, so I could ice my knees before they turned into pumpkins! Jess and Lou came by later and we chatted for a while before we finally dissolved into those amazing beds for the night/morning. LITTLE DID I KNOW I was sleeping UNDER JOE!!!!!! Damn, I always figured I’d know that if it ever happened for some reason.
    We met for lunch at Mccormick and Schmicks. I had a couple of gift certificates and put those towards our bill. The food was great but sparse (really small servings) which was fine for me, but I know it probably wasn’t enough for others. The waiter was cute tho and really nice. We went back to the Hotel to say good bye to everyone and it took us a very long time. Which was a good thing because after a few minutes standing in the lobby, Jess and Cami caught my attention and Jess asked if THAT man standing down by the Elevators was Smoky!!! HOLY SH*T!! IT WAS!!! I went catatonic. We stood in the hall near the restrooms and watched. YEAH yeah yeah I know. I SHOULD have talked to him, I SHOULD have said hi and introduced myself, I SHOULD have made friends… I just SHOULD all over the place… big ugly mess.
    So.. there we all stood gaping and trying to NOT look like a bunch of gold fish on dry land,… and not accomplishing it. Then it happened. Cami called my name quietly and I looked. IT WAS JOE! They say there were others with him, but I dunno about that.. I just saw Joe. He was wearing Jeans and a black shirt, and sun glasses. He smiled and looked right at me. I SHOULD HAV … more should… I didnt.. ARGH!!! Well, I WILL get a second chance.. I WILL!! And I WILL open my gaping gob and word will come out instead of drool!! And Ill be cool, and witty and clever and he’ll love me!!! Well.. I’ll say hi anyway.
    After Joe left and we eventually pulled ourselves up off the floor Cami and I debated and debated about staying another night. We SOOOOO wanted to stay!!!! But we just couldn’t do it. We hung out in front waiting to see if maybe someone else would show up, and we may have seen Scotty Crago get in an SUV with a bunch of other musicians, but the guys were gone, or so we thought!
    Cami and I finally made the extreme sacrifice and headed down to get the car. Somewhere in our adventures we’d picked up a nail in the tire and we needed to get it fixed. When we hit the garage LO and BEHOLD there was a black SUV and a bald security guy talking in to his wrist and giving us the evil eye. We asked for the car and told the garage man we had a low tire. He said he’d look at it. We weren’t sure but it might need changing. The security guy walked to a woman sitting on the sofa and talked quietly to her, occasionally pointing to us. Cami and I just looked at each other and shrugged. We were just getting our car! We went out in the garage to sit on a bench and wait for the car to show. The Security guy followed us. I heard him say something about switching and going up stairs. Then some girl loaded some boxes in the SUV and it left. Bald man and lady on the sofa left too. We got the car and went to get the tire fixed (no big deal). We then headed for the on ramp to 880 East. We had to drive around the back of the Pavillion to get there and we passed by the driveway for performers, and sure ‘nuff, there was Bald Security dude and about 8 others blocking the drive. They got really excited when they saw us, pointing and talking into their wrists, we just waved and drove on by!

**** quick note to bald security dude: I AM NOT A STALKER!!!!!!! :P~

First of all, Rhonda, LOVE LOVE your review. I love reading it and reliving our awesome adventure. So cool. Your pics turned out great. So glad to see them.

I've got all my pics uploaded so now for the fun part.....And yes, I did get a pic of that dressing room sign and also what looks to be Glenn's catering case.

Too many of my pics turned out too bright and/or blurry so these are the ones that came out fairly decent.

~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

~Jess~

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Wow! Jess!! those are great!!! and how good is Glenn looking! Wow! *G* Very VERY nice!

Dressing room pic came out a little blurry but you get the idea....

~Jess~

Loved it! What an entertaining read your posts are, Rhonda! And I loved meeting you (or in the case of Cami, getting to hang out some more). I only wish we'd had more time to hang out, but I'll never forget us all eating that Mexican food and having a blast at the "On the Border" restaurant!

Jess - great photos, especially that one of Glenn smiling!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Jess, Those are great photos. No Doubt. I didn't want to "quote" the entire thread of pics, but in that one with Henley and Walsh waving to the crowd, when I first glanced at it, I thought Henley was Bill Murray! Nothing offensive intended. But that expression gave me that Murray first impression!

MikeA

Great Butt shot of Don in the third pic