Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: San Jose, CA 5-01-10

Default San Jose, CA 5-01-10

Lissa and I went up to Jess, Lou, and Annie's room and cooked up this review together.... here goes!

What a wonderful night! The band was really enjoying themselves and you could tell it in the way they played. They all looked terrific and sounded great. Jess and Lissa have some INCREDIBLE photos to share!

As everyone knows by now, they opened with Seven Bridges Road and for me, it was a highlight of the evening. The harmonies gave me chills, and I never thought I would be so lucky as to hear it live.

The transition to How Long was perfect and the back and forth between Don and Glenn on the song is always a pleasure to listen to.

Next was Busy Being Fabulous, and Jess and Lou are especially glad to have it back. Jess especially loves the part where they go “dododoooodo” after Don sings “A little time in the country.”

After that, Glenn said, “Hello San Jose! Home of the Shark Tank!” He did his regular shtick about “assisted living” and all that. He added, “We’ve been at this for 37 years – we started when the Dead Sea was only sick.” [copyright George Burns!]

I Don’t Want to Hear Any More – Tim’s voice sounded really pure on this. I loved it.

Guilty of the Crime – Joe was rockin’! He changed up the vocal a bit and I could tell it was going to be a good night for him.

Hotel California – Much of the crowd jumped to its feet and we realized that this would be a good crowd! There was literally some “colita smell” as some weed smokers asked Jess and Lou for a light, which Jess kindly provided.

Peaceful Easy Feeling – Glenn sounded magnificent! He sang “sparkling earrings swing” for the curious. The lady behind me, whom Lissa and I had talked with earlier, said “Like your sparkling earrings!” to me. I got a kick out of that. Glenn did those “oohs” that we love at the end.

I Can’t Tell You Why – great smooth groove and I love that Glenn as well as Joe do keyboards on this as Tim croons. Terrific.

Witchy Woman – Loved Glenn’s opening and Don sounded very cool. Glenn mouthed along lyrics often for several songs, this being one of them. The crowd ate it up, especially when Don hit the high notes.

Lyin’ Eyes – Glenn told his usual “Dan Tana” story with the “We did everything fast back then” bit but added, "well, almost everything." Hmm! It was sung wonderfully - absolutely lovely!

Boys of Summer – they rocked it! I know many say the solo songs should be dropped, but I love this one so much I’d be sad to see it leave!

In the City – this was amazing! Joe nailed those vocals. Stueart and Joe jumped around on this (as well as some other songs). We think this is the one where Glenn and Steuart slowly squatted down and came back up (with a crank motion!) Jess noticed Glenn uses a different guitar for this now.

The Long Run – Don came out and he corrected Glenn with “actually we’ve been at this 38 years” and Glenn knelt down a bit and held his head – and then Don made a motion over his head and said “Whoosh!” Then he told us that they were going to take a break so we [the audience] could rest. Loved it! Don did this cute shuffle step to “Just a little bit faster now!”

Jess saw Irving Azoff after intermission to left of stage.

No More Walks in the Wood – incredible harmonies! I think it’s very cool to have a capella harmonies start both segments.

Waiting in the Weeds – beautiful! Lissa and I gave them a standing ovation!

No More Cloudy Days – Glenn intro’d this by saying that the band watched the weather channel when they were on tour to see if they were gonna get rained on! His voice was so powerful on this… amazing. Don mouthed a phrase or two with Glenn. Glenn added the extra “cloudy days” that we love.

Love Will Keep Us Alive – Tim did the “Tempted” intro for Paul Carrack. Don bopped along! This was also beautifully sung and got a great response from the crowd.

Take It to the Limit – Instead of the credit card joke, Glenn intro’d it by saying that it was a waltz, and explained that a waltz is in three/four time. He invited anyone who knew how to waltz and perhaps went to the Arthur Murray dance studio to feel free to do waltz away. He even did a waltz motion himself. The song was absolutely wonderful. The whole crowd got into it and many of us gave the guys a standing ovation. It was my favorite of the night, along with Seven Bridges Road. He looked over at Lissa and me several times during this and Lissa worried he not gonna be happy because she was pulling out that camera… but thank goodness she did, because she has some great photos from it!

Long Road Out of Eden – very dramatic. We love how they all stand still in the dark at the long pauses, and the way the screens really add to the song. Quite powerful.

Walk Away – this song was a lot of fun, especially after the intense moments of LROOE.

One of These Nights – VERY sexy. I started out the song seated but stood up for a bit, then sat down again when Lissa didn’t join me, then stood up again… I felt like a little gopher!

Band Intros – everyone got lots of applause. Glenn introduced the horns as the “Blowhards.” He continued “Perhaps you’ve heard of them… maybe you’d like to pay them!” Tim intro’d Glenn with praise such as “The guy who got this whole thing started with Don in 1972.” Glenn intro’d Don as being the best songwriter/vocalist he’d ever worked with and that they’d been friends since 1971 and done it all.

Life’s Been Good – Joe played with the audience a bit – he started with “Everybody say YEAH!” which we did, then “UUH” which we did…. And then he said “Everybody say [long scat] – um, nah, never mind, start the song!” Everybody laughed. It is always such a hoot to watch that screen behind them during this song and all the old photos and videos! Lou says that at one point, there was a photo of Glenn up on the screen and at that moment, Glenn happened to be striking almost the identical pose on the stage… it was inadvertent on his part, but it was really cool. I think Joe might miss his helmet cam during the guitar solo, because he wandered around the stage and faced different parts of the audience as if he were wearing it. He did a cute little Chuck Berry duckwalk across the stage with his guitar! Another cute moment: He sang "My fans they can't wait - They write me e-mails, tell me Glenn's great!"

Dirty Laundry – all three guitar solos sounded great. Again, love the montage, especially the joke ones of course - but it's also cool how they update the tabloids in the ending magazine-toss. Some very recent news was featured there, including Tiger Woods' scandals of late. They all jumped at the end with their guitars, and Jess got a photo of them in mid-air! Glenn jumped around in circle before hopping to the other end of the stage.

Funk 49 – Joe and Glenn did their cute “guitar duel.” They imitated each other’s movements too… which included thrusting! When Joe “won” by playing a really fancy guitar run, Glenn leaned over and blew on Joe’s fingers like they were burning. This is another one where I was standing and sitting and standing again. Finally I committed to standing up, but Lissa remained seated… until Glenn faced her and mouthed “STAND UP!” When she just stared at him, he repeated himself… and she stood up! (Unfortunately I didn't get to see this exchange and only got told about it after almost getting knocked over when Lissa jumped up, lol). At the end of this, he did the countdown with Lou and Jess where he looked right at them and whispered “Ten” a few times before counting on his fingers with them. Jess took a photo of him looking right at them because she thought he was saying “Take them” [photos] – and she did! When Glenn says “jump” we say “how high?”

Heartache Tonight – they tore this up and it brought the house down! Terrific!

Life in the Fast Lane – the excitement just kept on getting higher and higher as the band rocked this hard. Glenn mouthed the lyrics along with Don to this as well.

Take It Easy – Time to start the encore. Everyone was in great spirits listening to the Eagles rock out to this feel-good tune that "started it all" and to this day, along with Hotel California, remains a definitive Eagles song in the minds of even the most casual fan.

Rocky Mountain Way – More fun times! During Joe’s solo, Glenn was dancing around, making poses, and playing around with his guitar… interesting to watch! After Joe sang "And we don't need the ladies crying 'cause the story's sad," Glenn cried, “Good God!” At which point Joe turned his way and laughed. Guess something was going on up there which we weren't privy to!

Desperado – Don came out and stood in that spotlight and we knew it was almost time for it to end, sadly. It was amazingly sung and of course when the rest of the band joins Don for the harmonies at the end, it’s such a striking moment….

Then, at the end, some really special stuff happened! The guys went to say their goodbyes along the stage, and when Glenn came over to Lissa’s and my area, we blew him a kiss, and he stopped and said “hey!” He gave us a wave and a big smile. Then, he went back towards where he had his water and we thought he was going off… but no, he came back with picks for Jess and Lou! I’ll let them tell you how that went down!

We’ll probably add stuff later because we’re all out of steam now. I’ll just end it with…

WHAT A NIGHT! SO GLAD I CAME!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: San Jose, CA 05-01-10

Great REVIEW! Thank you LADIES! Someone must have gotten through to the Guys to let them know of the trials and tribulations Jess and Lou had in getting there! Your dedication to the band PAYS OFF!

But I have to say that I'm worried now that Lou and Jess will have turned into Freyheads.

MikeA

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I've been worrying about the same thing myself Mike! But I have Lou on BB chat here and she assures me this second that Don will always be her man!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Wonderful review Soda! I'm so glad you and Lissa got some 'Glenntact' as well as Jess and Lou. As I say I'm on the BB chatting to Lou at the moment and she has had the best night ever. I dunno when she'll come down but she is still on a high!!!!

I'm glad the setlist has changed a little as I love RMW and SBR but I'm sorry that Glenn is not taking lead on more. Particularly miffed that 'Somebody' is gone.

But I'm so glad you all had such a wonderful night and that the boys seem to be going from strength to strength.
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

OH MY FREAKING GOD!!!! That was absolutely the BEST CONCERT EVER!!! We loved every second of that show. The guys looked and sounded so great. Getting the picks from Glenn was simply amazing. Me and Lou still can't stop smiling about that. Unbelievable!!!! Glenn pointed right at us and told the security guy "These two"!!! AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! Then right after that Lou and I both blew Don a kiss and we got one right back. **SIGH** This concert completely made up for everything we went through to get here. It was sooooo worth it!!!

Surprisingly and thankfully the camera nazi's were no where to be found where we were sitting. The security guy sitting in front of us was really nice. We chatted with him for a bit before the show started and he was also rocking out during the concert too.

We'll fill you all in with the details as best we can as soon as we get the chance. We have to leave tomorrow so we may not get to add too much until we get back to Oklahoma in the next few days.

I was a little scared to pull out my camera during the first half but after intermission something came over me and I started snapping away. I didn't have to worry too much because i turned the flash off. I'm really surprised at how good some of them turned out because I didn't think they would've turned out that good. To you Tim fans, I did my best to get a good shot of him but that man is a wiggle worm. Every time I would try to take one of him he would move and it turned out blurry. I did get a couple of him though so no worries. I got plenty of good shots of the other 3. There's a lot to go through and upload but it's really late and i'm exhausted but i am gonna leave you all with these few for now. Enjoy!!

~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

~Jess~

~Jess~

Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo View Post

OHMIGOD Jess! These are fantastic. That third one has to go down as an alltime Glenn favourite. They are gorgeous and so clear. I Must say Glenn Looks absolutely fantastic. The blue really suits him and he looks so well and HOT and Sexy and Gorgeous...... Thanks soo much and I'm delighted you both had such a wonderful time.

Note to GEF : Please prescribe these girls plenty of prozac. They are gonna need it when the FEW sets in:
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Jess, those are some excellent pictures! Very good job! But, be aware that before long, those shots will be all over the INTERNET!

Now, follow it up. Take a pic of you and Lou so they'll know who sends them and fire one of each of the band to their official sites and see if you can get them autographed! It sounds like you got the attention of Glenn and Don anyway! Tell them your story. I'm betting you could score an autograph at least!

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

OMG--Haven't even gotten into the shower yet this morning because I checked my text messages because I was hoping and was told get on for the review and about the picks, etc....

First, AMAZING pictures. Will come back in to check them better later!!!

Second, I can in no way express how thrilled I am about all the attention that was given last night. Jess & Lou---YOU SO DESERVED IT!!! Thank you to those wonderful Eagles for that!!

Third, did you guys end up getting flowers for the guys and what happened if you did?

Fourth, thank you Rhonda for getting Joe back out of the trunk so he could show up last night! I was really worried about that and the whole restraining order thing--don't want you to miss that M & G in Portland.

Fifth, and most importantly--- Thanks girls for the call last night during ICTYW. I'm actually glad I didn't get to my phone in time to answer because now I have it saved in my voicemails and can listen to it again and again. It meant bunches to me that you took the time and thought to dial me so I could hear it!! THANK YOU!

YAY on the successful trip after all the trial and tribulations!! It turned out to be something very very exceptional afterall!! Be careful when you leave today and keep in touch. I hope the trip home is uneventful.
    He sings it high, he plays it low