Page 9 of 136 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporting Sensations

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

FP - It looks like your delete button worked to delete other people's post even if it didn't delete yours. There were several posts in this thread today that are now gone.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    As a foreigner it depends on whether you have been to either Boston or New York and how you feel about both places. I love New York with a passion but I have a very soft spot for Boston, plus I have a tie dye Patriots T shirt, plus they went through the season undefeated, so in this case I'll be supporting the Patriots. But most people might back the Giants because they're the underdog. If it were baseball, Boston Red Sox versus New York Yankees, I'd support the Yankees.
    I appreciate what you're saying, FP, but many football fans here have a very harsh opionion about the NE Patriots for a variety of reasons. I don't think a lot of people outside the New England area really root for them.

Of course, I'm a frustrated fan today because last night, the Packers pretty much beat themselves. IMHO, they should have beaten the Giants handily.

Ah well, glass half full - I never would have dreamed that we would have the successful season we did have! It was a blast while it lasted.

I'm afraid it's going to be a pretty boring Superbowl this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    I appreciate what you're saying, FP, but many football fans here have a very harsh opionion about the NE Patriots for a variety of reasons. I don't think a lot of people outside the New England area really root for them.
    Like the fact that they cheated?

Of course, I'm a frustrated fan today because last night, the Packers pretty much beat themselves. IMHO, they should have beaten the Giants handily.
    Me too Molly, me too. I am SO bummed that the Pack lost. I have always been a fan and I adore Brett (Ex: see the gifts for women thread )......I hope he doesn't retire! I really wanted to see him go out on top...not have his last pass thrown be an interception.

But like you said.....at least they had a good season! I really don't have any interest in the super bowl this year now though

Fortunately, I was able to go back and retrieve the missing posts that were deleted from this thread. Just for the record, I am going to go ahead and copy them here:

Post by ive always been a dreamer

Aw - I'm sorry to report that Molly's Packers lost in a close game that went into overtime last night. Those are such heartbreaking losses, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Nonetheless, they had a fantastic year far beyond most people's expectations, and have every reason to be proud. Hang your head high, Molly.

So - it's on to the Super Bowl for the New York Giants and the mighty, undefeated New England Patriots.

Post by GlennsAllnighter

Since I haven't a clue, who should I be supporting?

Post by Freypower

As a foreigner it depends on whether you have been to either Boston or New York and how you feel about both places. I love New York with a passion but I have a very soft spot for Boston, plus I have a tie dye Patriots T shirt, plus they went through the season undefeated, so in this case I'll be supporting the Patriots. But most people might back the Giants because they're the underdog. If it were baseball, Boston Red Sox versus New York Yankees, I'd support the Yankees.

GA - Outside of the hardcore fanbase for these two teams, I think most people will choose based on whether they want to root for the favored, powerhouse New England Patriots who have won several Super Bowls in recent years to have a perfect, undefeated season or the underdog New York Giants whose quarterback, Eli Manning, is the younger brother of last year's Super Bowl winner, Indianapolis Colts quarterback, Peyton Manning.

For me, this is easy. The only other time a team has gone an entire season undefeated in the National Football League was the 1972 Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins are my favorite team, therefore, I will be rooting for the N. Y. Giants to beat the Patriots to preserve the '72 Dolphins record of being the only team to finish with a perfect season. And OBTW - the Dolphins almost set another perfect record this year, but the other way around. Sadly, they were only able to win one game this year. But, I'm confident better days are ahead for my team!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    Fortunately, I was able to go back and retrieve the missing posts that were deleted from this thread. Just for the record, I am going to go ahead and copy them here:

Hang your head high, Molly.
    Just out of curiosity.....how do you hang your head high?

For me, this is easy. The only other time a team has gone an entire season undefeated in the National Football League was the 1972 Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins are my favorite team, therefore, I will be rooting for the N. Y. Giants to beat the Patriots to preserve the '72 Dolphins record of being the only team to finish with a perfect season. And OBTW - the Dolphins almost set another perfect record this year, but the other way around. Sadly, they were only able to win one game this year. But, I'm confident better days are ahead for my team!
    I hear ya! My favorite teams have always been the Lions (Barry Sanders! w00t! ), Vikings, and Packers and other than the Pack.....none have been that great in recent years. But someday they'll turn things around...just as I'm sure the Dolphins will!

Funny note........when I went to a Vikings/Lions game a few years ago, my brother-in-law and I went to the area where the Lion team was loading into their buses and signing autographs after the game. Well, I went up to get Luther Ellis' autograph (he used to be a d. lineman for the Lions) and he took one look at me and went "awww man.....are you TRYING to rub it in or what?" I must have looked as confused as I felt so he gestured to my jacket. Here I was wearing my Miami Dolphins jacket and the week before the 'phins had SERIOUSLY kicked Detroit's butt. I had to grin a little sheepishly.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    Just out of curiosity.....how do you hang your head high?
    Okay Maleah - you ask an excellent question here! I think I was supposed to say "hold your head high". However, now I'm not so sure. Being a Dolphins fan, I feel like I have been 'hanging' my head high all year.

I gotta say though, us Dolphin fans are a bit spoiled. As any of you who follow NFL football know, the Dolphins have traditionally been a very good team. They've only had two or three losing seasons in their 40 year history. We are used to them kicking butt. So this year has been particularly hard to swallow. But, as I said, I am confident that they will soon recapture their proud, winning tradition.

Okay Maleah - you ask an excellent question here! I think I was supposed to say "hold your head high". However, now I'm not so sure. Being a Dolphins fan, I feel like I have been 'hanging' my head high all year.
    Alrighty......just checkin'

I gotta say though, us Dolphin fans are a bit spoiled. As any of you who follow NFL football know, the Dolphins have traditionally been a very good team. They've only had two or three losing seasons in their 40 year history. We are used to them kicking butt. So this year has been particularly hard to swallow. But, as I said, I am confident that they will soon recapture their proud, winning tradition.
    Oh without a doubt! The Dolphins have almost always been a very solid team. I've always enjoyed watching them in the past. I'd have to say that they are quite possibly tied for my favorite AFC team along with Tennessee.

Gee.....I'm going to be so bored now that the season is almost over! I love football! woohoo!

Gee.....I'm going to be so bored now that the season is almost over! I love football! woohoo!
    Ah not to worry, my dear! There seems to be plenty of Eagles activity going on right now to keep you from getting too bored!

Stuck on the Border

I'm so sorry. It hasn't been much fun for me recently. I know what I did. I clicked the post above mine instead of mine.

Ah not to worry, my dear! There seems to be plenty of Eagles activity going on right now to keep you from getting too bored!

Oooooo so true!!! Cheered me right up! Thanks!