Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Solo Songs Should the Eagles Perform Live?

Quote Originally Posted by EasyFeeling
    Ok, I added some.
    You know what, I think I will add some too! lol

I would also LOVE to hear Glenn do "River of Dreams." It's such a magnificent song, and if he performed it with the Eagles, I can see them layering some additional harmonies on it to make it more of a "group" thing.

I've always loved Don's "Not Enough Love in the World" and I and I can see them adding additional harmonies to that, too. I agree with "The Last Worthless Evening" - a moving, affecting song.

And for Joe, one I really want back badly is Turn to Stone. It must be Joe's hottest guitar solo ever (IMHO). I watch it on those old bootlegs and I get BLOWN AWAY.

Tim's Boy's Night Out is a nice upbeat number for live shows, too.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Oh, I forgot Not Enough Love In The World. I think it would sound terrific when the band do that song. And I agree with what you've said about River Of Dreams and the harmonies.

Stuck on the Border

I can't choose any Tim songs, I'm afraid, as I don't know them.

With Joe I suppose I would like to see him do something different like Second Hand Store or A Life Of Illusion. I would prefer Turn To Stone to Walk Away.

I think Don needs a ballad and something uptempo. I think the Eagles would do a good job with Goodbye To A River and something like I Will Not Go Quietly - something which involves the whole band. I don't think HOTM should reappear. It had a specific purpose. I think LWE is too 'Don' although I like it.

I don't care which solo songs Glenn plays as long as he does SOMETHING. ANYTHING. I suppose I would like him to do something like River of Dreams. I have given up on him ever doing POMPOY but why not something like Brave New World? Maleah mentioned Soul Searchin'. I think if the backing vocals were rearranged, this could actually work quite well. But he has never played it live.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

This is hard, but I'm going to approach this from the standpoint of what I like to see them do and what I think may have a realistic chance of making the Eagles setlist. Considering that the guys like to "play the hits" as Don said, some of the lesser known solo songs don't have any chance of making the Eagles setlist, IMO. So, as much as I'd love to hear River of Dreams, I don't think it would ever happen. For the most part, I like the choice of solo songs they play. If I could "tweek" the setlist, here's what I'd do:

Don - keep BOS, DL, and ASWTDID; drop Sunset Grill. As much as I love all the songs you all mentioned, I don't think any of them, except HOTM, have any chance of making the cut.

Glenn - THIO and YBTTC based on the fact that they were his biggest solo hits, not that they are necessarily my favorites. However, they both rock when performed live. Keep Silent Spring as it is becoming a staple at all Eagles concerts.

Joe - keep Walk Away, LBG, Funk 49, and RMW; drop In the City (I know it's an Eagles song) and replace it with Turn to Stone; reinstall One Day At a Time.

Timothy - keep ICTYW and LWKUA (yes, I know many people dislike it, but the fact is it's the biggest hit the band has had since their resumption and many people love it, including me); I love Do Something, but I've got my fingers crossed that Tim will have something more uptempo on the new album that they can include. Although I don't think it'll ever happen, I'd like to see Tim do one of his solo songs as well. I love The Shadow, but again let's prove Tim can rock - I'd prefer something along the lines of Tell Me the Truth or Was It Just the Moonlight.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by EasyFeeling
    Can we only choose one song? Ok.

Glenn: Smuggler's Blues, River Of Dreams, Strange Weather, True Love
    Don: The Last Worthless Evening, Heart Of The Matter, Taking You Home
    Joe: Help Me Thru The Night
    Tim: The Shadow
    Oooooo.....I like your Don choices You and I seem to be two of the few who like "Taking You Home" a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I don't care which solo songs Glenn plays as long as he does SOMETHING. ANYTHING. I suppose I would like him to do something like River of Dreams. I have given up on him ever doing POMPOY but why not something like Brave New World? Maleah mentioned Soul Searchin'. I think if the backing vocals were rearranged, this could actually work quite well. But he has never played it live.
    I could really hear the Eagles doing beautiful harmonies to Soul Searchin'. I'd love to hear it!

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    Oooooo.....I like your Don choices You and I seem to be two of the few who like "Taking You Home" a lot
    Oh, I really love that song. As much as I like it when Don does rock songs I'd rather see him doing ballads.

Stuck on the Border

This will probably come up if we do IJ Survivor, but in my opinion Taking You Home is the most schmaltzy, syrupy song Don has ever recorded - and the thought of the Eagles doing it fills me with horror. Sorry.

oh well, I guess me and EF are schmaltzy and syrupy gals then

But if I'm not mistaken, I believe the song is about his daughter? I would guess that even Glenn gets a little syrupy over his daughter

Stuck on the Border

I know what it's about, but it's still how I described it - in my opinion. Glenn wrote Delicious for his daughter which has an entirely different feel. I don't like schmaltz, which is why I'm not a great fan of songs like It's Your Life, just to even it out.

If Don has to have a long, slow ballad why not Talking To The Moon, or even A Month Of Sundays, which is (again in my opinion) close to the best thing he has ever recorded.