Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Solo Songs Should the Eagles Perform Live?

sorry FP......wasn't trying to say you didn't know what it was about. That was just my attempt at describing why it could be considered "syrupy" or "schmaltzy."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    oh well, I guess me and EF are schmaltzy and syrupy gals then

But if I'm not mistaken, I believe the song is about his daughter? I would guess that even Glenn gets a little syrupy over his daughter
    Hmmm Maleah and EF schmaltzy and syrupy - I don't think so!

But, I do agree with you Maleah that it makes a difference to me about how I feel about a song knowing it is written for someone special. I like Taking You Home. Knowing that Don wrote it about his daughter makes me think it should be 'syrupy.' I feel the same way about Delicious - I normally do not like Glenn singing falsetto. However, knowing that the song is written for his daughter, makes the falsetto voice very appropriate, IMO - sounds like 'daddy' talking to his little baby girl.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

When it comes to Don's ballads, Talking to the Moon just KILLS me! It's magnificent. I haven't really listened to Taking You Home that much, but it seemed pleasant enough. As far as Glenn goes, I have to admit Delicious doesn't really do it for me but I'd put It's Your Life in my top 20 Glenn songs.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    oh well, I guess me and EF are schmaltzy and syrupy gals then

But if I'm not mistaken, I believe the song is about his daughter?
    Count me in too! I think that song is beautiful, and the fact that Don wrote it about bringing his daughter home just pushes me right over the edge.

"Annabel," also written for his first child, has the same effect on me. I heard a radio interview Don gave right after IJ came out and the interviewer asked him if his other children were expecting him to write a song for them, too, and he laughed and said, "They probably are!"

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

That's an interesting discussion here.
    You 've guessed I'm schmaltzy and syrupy? You're right!!!!!!!!!! Ok, sometimes. I don't care if it's about his daughter or whatever, fact is I'm melting when I hear this song. And I love Talking To The Moon as well.

I adore Talking to the Moon. I've always thought that Talking to the Moon and Lover's Moon are two of Don & Glenn's absolute BEST songs.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    I adore Talking to the Moon. I've always thought that Talking to the Moon and Lover's Moon are two of Don & Glenn's absolute BEST songs.
    High praise! For some reason, Lover's Moon doesn't make quite the same impression on me. I find it pleasant, but not much more.

Stuck on the Border

Guys... I didn't say YOU were schmaltzy and syrupy.... I said the SONG was. That doesn't make the people who like it to be those things - it is a description of music. If I were to describe a person along similar lines I would say they were 'sentimental', and I didn't use that word.

Now moving on I heard You're Not Drinking Enough last night, and I think the Eagles would do a good job with that because it has a country feel. All it needs is for the synthesizers to be reduced somewhat.

You're Not Drinking Enough is another song I really like. In fact I like almost every song on Building the Perfect Beast.

Oooooooooo crap! I forgot about You're Not Drinking Enough! I could definently hear the guys doing that too. It's country but with a tish of bluesy sound to it.......course, that could just be Sam Moore lol