Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chula Vista,CA-May 23, 2010

Default Re: Eagles in Chula Vista, CA May 23, 2010

Nice pixs-especially of Timmy which I quickly downloaded to my computer. Thanks!

I took a couple last night too and will post them along with the Onatario pixs some time tomorrow.

Stay Tuned.

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGal

Default Re: Chula Vista,CA-May 23, 2010

Last edited by Koala; 07-08-2010 at 12:40 PM.
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I liked that review! This reviewer knew his stuff, right down to backing band members names!! He did his research!

It did get me to wonder tho, since it's extremely obvious that everyone knows these jokes are the same jokes for the better part of the last decade.... do you think they do it on purpose now? Knowing that everyone and talks about how "Glenn needs to get some new jokes"? Sure he adds or switches it up every once in awhile ("our 97th year in the industry" ) but same "assisted living", "first wife, plaintiff" etc... are always there. Just thinking is all.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I liked that review! This reviewer knew his stuff, right down to backing band members names!! He did his research!

It did get me to wonder tho, since it's extremely obvious that everyone knows these jokes are the same jokes for the better part of the last decade.... do you think they do it on purpose now? Knowing that everyone and talks about how "Glenn needs to get some new jokes"? Sure he adds or switches it up every once in awhile ("our 97th year in the industry" ) but same "assisted living", "first wife, plaintiff" etc... are always there. Just thinking is all.
    I think your absolutely right-good call.

Carol-Lynn

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Wow, so many reviews of this show... and good ones too.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post

The old jokes don't bother me because they always seem to get a good reaction.

His problem is he is not singing enough songs.

Anyway.... it's about time someone mentioned the band intros & Henley's drum fills. That is always a lot of fun.

Well, for what it's worth, Glenn FINALLY dropped the Plaintiff and credit card jokes. (ETA: He dropped them in San Jose but obviously not for this show, as careful reading of the review shows! )

He did say at the Niagara Falls show in 2007 that he considered his Plaintiff joke to be the Glenn Frey version of Jimmy Durante's "Good night Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!" - ie, something he said at every show. He obviously was cognizant of the fact that people would have heard him say the joke before, particularly since it was preserved for all time on the Farewell 1 DVD!

Glenn has great comedic timing and delivery. That's why even the old groaners get laughs when he tells them. I am glad he's stretching out a bit though with his repertoire - he's a funny guy and he's got more in him than the same handful of jokes.

I remember at the Detroit 2006 show he was just going to town, telling a lot more jokes than usual. After he made a joke about how he'd buy energy efficient cars if they didn't all look like they could be driven by Mr. Peepers, the guy behind me cracked up and said something to his wife (?) like, "We're getting a two-for-one deal here - a concert AND a comedy show!"

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

But Soda, the review for this show clearly states that Glenn used the 'Plaintiff' joke.

He then dedicated "Lyin' Eyes" to "my first wife: 'Plaintiff'."

Oh, how embarrassing! That's what I get for skimming reviews as I try to catch up on the board. I'll edit the original post.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The old jokes don't bother me because they always seem to get a good reaction.
    I didn't mean for it to sound like the jokes bothered me. Quite the contrary--I really enjoy knowing they are coming and I also laugh each time no matter how many times I've heard it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    His problem is he is not singing enough songs.
    You think so? We hadn't heard you say that before! JK We know that means a lot to you and for good reason!
    He sings it high, he plays it low