Thread: informations about Hotel california

Out on the Border

Default informations about Hotel california

Sorry for the previous post, I pushed on "enter" without finishing to write my post. Maybe someone can delete it...

So, I'm student in the "sound recording" class in an art school in Belgium and I'm deeply analysing Hotel California for a school exercise.

I have a few technical questions and I hope someone will have a few minutes to answer them:

1°/ On which instruments did the musicians played (trademark, model): acoustic guitar, electric guitars, organ, bass, drums & percussions

2°/ I bought the score and I saw there are 2 parts of acoustic guitar and 7 parts of electric guitar for 2 guitar players. I would like to know, who played which part and how many recording layers have been done.
    What has been recorded first? and what has been added after? How did you do to re-record? did engineers use a different machine?

3°/ I also would like to know which recording machine was used (how many tracks?) and which process was used to do the final mix (how much tracks recorded and how has it been reduced into stereo)
    If possible, I would like to now which microphones and effects (compressor, EQ, reverberation) were used on instruments and voices.

I would be extremely thankfull if you had a few minutes to answer my questions but I know it's quite specific.
    A great thing would also be a few books or websites where I could find informations...

Thanks a lot

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: informations about Hotel california

Welcome Sand_HC. Hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border. I can delete your other thread for you. However, I'm completely at a loss to help you with anything technical when it comes to music, but perhaps some of our more musically-inclined members may have some thoughts here. However, I don't know how much help any of us can give you about the recording process. I know I would have loved to have been there to watch, but it just wasn't to be.
    Last edited by Ive always been a dreamer; 05-28-2010 at 05:54 PM.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Sand_HC - After my last post, I thought of some things that may help you out. You may want to check out Don Felder's book "My Life In the Eagles 1974 - 2001: Heaven and Hell". Felder wrote most all of the music to the song, and I think he goes into quite a bit of detail about the recording process in the book. I will warn you though, that there is some dispute about his account and what other members like Henley and Frey have stated about some of the details. In addition, there are lots of articles and interviews over the years on the Eagles Online Central site that you may find helpful. Here is the link to the page and good luck with your research.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/articles/index.htm

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

thank you very much for the book, I'll try to find it.
    I've seen the articles and it's true they're quite interesting.

Thanks a lot for your help