Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy Meisner in the Press

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Randy Meisner in the Press

I'm still wondering why Ranker claims John and Michelle Phillips (The Mamas and the Papas for you young 'uns) are Jewish. But since they don't say anything about their criteria or sources, we can only regard it as a mildly interesting list.

Thanks for the link to The Gear page, Delilah!

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Hi ETG,

Here’s the link—scroll down to the bottom. The family history starts at post #194.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...569354/page-10

(The only reference to the family’s Lutheran heritage is that one of Randy’s forefathers was a Lutheran who married another Lutheran, so I may have overstated the case somewhat).
    Thanks for the link, Delilah, I will check it out!

Here's a well-written review of the Randman's 1980 solo album One More Song.
    http://www.thegreatalbums.com/blog/2...-one-more-song

I like how the reviewer pointed out that several members of Randy's Silverados were in Kim Carnes' band. They of course shared a producer in Val Garay as well.

Thank you for posting that, NMB. I’m glad to see that album getting some latter-day recognition (the blogger also offers some praise for Randy’s next one). I happen to think the One More Song album cover is one of the best of the solo Eagles albums. Hmm...maybe an idea for a new thread.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Country artist Collin Raye, who hit it big in the 90s, wrote his autobiography in 2014 and includes a passage about Randy. He describes Randy as one of his musical heroes who inspired hm to start a musical career. Mr. Raye identified with Randy, b/c he wanted to play bass and sing, and not be the center of attention. He would watch Randy “like a hawk” at concerts b/c Randy played bass.

Like for so many others it seems, TITTL was a “total life-changer” for Collin. Fast-forward to 1997 and he discovers Randy and his band* were opening for him. They meet (“he was extremely nice to us”) and Randy, being the kind gracious guy he is, invites Collin to join him at the end to sing Take It to the Limit.

*there is apparently a mix-up here with Collin saying it was the Roberts Meisner Band opening for him. But since this was 1997, that would be very unlikely.

“A Voice Undefeated” by Collin Raye, 2014

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Country artist Collin Raye, who hit it big in the 90s, wrote his autobiography in 2014 and includes a passage about Randy. He describes Randy as one of his musical heroes who inspired hm to start a musical career. Mr. Raye identified with Randy, b/c he wanted to play bass and sing, and not be the center of attention. He would watch Randy “like a hawk” at concerts b/c Randy played bass.

Like for so many others it seems, TITTL was a “total life-changer” for Collin. Fast-forward to 1997 and he discovers Randy and his band* were opening for him. They meet (“he was extremely nice to us”) and Randy, being the kind gracious guy he is, invites Collin to join him at the end to sing Take It to the Limit.

*there is apparently a mix-up here with Collin saying it was the Roberts Meisner Band opening for him. But since this was 1997, that would be very unlikely.

“A Voice Undefeated” by Collin Raye, 2014
    I don't remember Colin playing bass, but as a tenor, I'm sure he totally looked up to Randy. Being asked to sing TITTL with him must have been a dream come true! But I can't imagine having to follow that!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Gosh, another wonderful find - thank you so much, Delilah! You can find these overlooked treasures, and I know it's not easy. Kudos to you, gal.

What did you make of the quote, "He was extremely nice to us - for an Eagle that is!" Does that mean, nice but not *too* nice? Nice by rock star standards?

He probably didn't mean anything bad by it. Goodness knows, there is total consensus that Randy is a great guy, even Mr. Henley says so. We'll never find an anecdote about someone meeting The Meis and have them report, "He had a real attitude" or "He was unforgivably rude to my kids." That'll never happen.

How cool. I love Collin Raye. I saw him in concert once in 1996. A great singer and I love his voice.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

That's cool, Delilah, thanks! I remember listening to Collin Raye in my country days. If I am not mistaken he lived in Greenville Texas for a bit, which is about 45 minutes from me.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That's an awesome find Delilah!!! I too love Collin Raye.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."