Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: Randy Meisner in the Press

Default Re: Randy Meisner in the Press

Love to see Randy pop up!

Anyone who's seen The Last Waltz knows what a privilege it must have been for Randy to witness that first hand!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I wonder if Mr. Randy knows that Bob Dylan mentions “Take It to the Limit” in his newish song “Murder Most Foul.”

Stuck on the Border

NMB - Thanks for posting this ! Boy, I would have loved to see the Band. Saw the movie many, many years ago on tv. Very cool that Randy got to see that concert ! Soda - Thanks for posting that video - I love that song ! I also really love Joan B.'s version too.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks NMB. Yeah, it's funny how Joan Baez's cover turned out to be the definitive version of the song for most people.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Joan Baez’s version is the one I was most familiar with, because it was on the radio when I was a child. Later, when MTV came along, I saw The Band clip with Levon Helm singing lead. They’re both great. EDIT: holy smokes, I assumed it was an old folk song, possibly even Civil War era. It was written by Robbie Robertson! Oh my. It sounds so genuine and real, if you know what I mean. Gah.

Stuck on the Border

NMB - You are in good company ! I had no idea the song was written by Robbie Robertson either ! I also thought it was an old folk song. Learn something new every day !

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I wonder if Mr. Randy knows that Bob Dylan mentions “Take It to the Limit” in his newish song “Murder Most Foul.”
    Surely someone told him? That song was a bit difficult to listen to, lol, but it it was very cool that he included the reference.

holy smokes, I assumed it was an old folk song, possibly even Civil War era. It was written by Robbie Robertson! Oh my. It sounds so genuine and real, if you know what I mean. Gah.
    Yes, it feels like the singer knows first-hand what it feels like to be completely broken down by the Northern army, to lose everything in the name of a hopeless cause. It was all from Robertson's research of the era, though, and his ability to put himself in another man's shoes and tell a good story. Well done, Robbie!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

The Meis is part of a Rock Cellar article asking rock musicians what their all-time favorite concert was. I have no idea when the interview was done, but the show Randy saw was likely between 1983, when The Band resumed touring without Robbie Robertson, and 1986 when Richard Manuel tragically committed suicide.

Randy Meisner (The Eagles): The best show I’ve ever seen bar none was The Band, who along with Bob Dylan are my favorite artists of all time. I saw them at Filthy McNasty’s, a little funky club in North Hollywood. I don’t go to a lot of concerts but that show still sticks in my brain. They did all their big hits, “Up on Cripple Creek,” “Stage Fright,” “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” and “Rag Mama Rag.” It was all the original members except for Robbie Robertson. The music was so powerful and organic. Every song impressed me. They could do no wrong. They were all about the music and nothing else. I love Garth Hudson’s organ playing, he’s magnificent. Rick Danko was fabulous too and sadly he’s gone, as is Richard Manuel. If Bob Dylan had been there I would have been even happier; I probably would have fainted. (laughs)

https://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/b...LXfEaez78nR3u8
    This is a great item giving some insight into Mr. Meisner’s musical tastes. Thanks for posting another gem!

As an aside, the club was re-named The Central in the early 80s but maybe Randy still referred to it under the former name. Also, the owner of the club had another one named FM Station in North Hollywood where The Band did indeed play. Anyway, this stuff about Randy is cool to know.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...