Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy Meisner in the Press

Default Re: Randy Interview in Classic Rock

I wanted to revive this thread and let everyone know that the classic rock interview was taken from a longer interview that was done in 2006. I found the longer interview on eaglesfans.com. It's the one called Randy Meisner Takes it to the Limit One More Time and it's broken into 5 pdfs.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Default Randy Article

I just found this online. It's from 1996.

Default Re: Randy Article

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else.

http://www.rockhistorybook.com/inter...dymeisner.html

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFanatic View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else.

http://www.rockhistorybook.com/inter...dymeisner.html
    No problem I love that interview!

Thanks for posting these interviews. I love reading them - even if I may have seen them before, posting them again gives a person a chance to revisit and maybe get reminded of something they've forgotten. Besides, not everyone has seen them before.

This question from the second interview made me laugh:
    John- Do you still hang out with Don Henley and Glen Frey?
    Randy - Well, not really.
    I bet Randy was thinking, "Wow, this guy is naive." lol

I had forgotten this:

Randy - [The reunion album with Poco] wasn't very good. (Laughing) I had done some recording with Richard Marx and he wrote a song for me. Then we all got back together and it was really fun actually. Let me tell you what really happened. This was going down around the time of the Persian Gulf War and our management had arranged all these things on military bases. We had all this merchandising to sell and when we got to all these army bases we were playing to empty crowds because all the troops were in the Persian Gulf. After that we played a few more things but I ended up paying all this money for merchandising rather than making money on it. We did make a record and I thought it was good. Richie Furay is a minister in Boulder, Colorado. So, when we went out we had to change our lyrics like on the song "Hearts on Fire" we had to change the line "I had myself a tall one waiting in the bar I didn't want to leave here until I had her in the car" it got to Richie. I had to respect Richie but one night we were playing in Toronto and the crowd was really good and I sang the original lyric and Richie got kind of upset about that. Also, Jimmy Messina couldn't sing "I had her in the backseat" on his song. I really got frustrated with that because we weren't singing the original lyrics of these songs so I left. We did finish the tour but I didn't make a penny. We did travel all over and we went to Europe for a month to promote this whole album. Out of a month we played twenty four days and we would get up at five in the morning, go to every radio station in Europe and plug this album. It didn't do a darn bit of good. So, I have had my road work, you know? (Laughing)
    To do all that work and not make a cent! Yikes! And then having to "clean up" the lyrics - I understand why they were asked to do it but I can also understand why Randy balked - especially if he wasn't making any money!
    John - I read a bit of "Take it to the Limit."
    Randy - Yeah, there were a couple of [books written about the Eagles]. It's like catching someone at a wrong time when everyone was kind of angry at everyone else. You say things that you really don't mean. These people want the dirt and they forget that most of the time there was not any dirt. Most of the time we got along really well. Years later you read it and its dirt and you think why in the hell did I say that about him whether it's Glen or Henley. For God sakes were just people. It was a time where there was a little resentment.
    I wonder what in particular he regrets saying? Interesting.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

You know what - I think I'll do like I do with the other Eagles have a "Randy Meisner in the Press" thread. :: going off to do some merging ::

Quote Originally Posted by whitcap View Post
    I just found this online. It's from 1996.
    In reading that, I was a little saddened by this:
    "Meisner admits he was initially upset and depressed about not being asked to be a part of the reunion tour. He says the band even rejected his suggestion that he join them on stage for several songs at the group's Rose Bowl concert in Pasadena."
    I get why they didn't approach him for the "resumption" tour, but I do wish they would have let him do a special "guest spot" on a show or two.

Default Re: Randy Meisner in the Press

Me, too. I would like to see Randy Meisner play with the Eagles once again.
    Last edited by Lisa; 06-17-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    In reading that, I was a little saddened by this:
    "Meisner admits he was initially upset and depressed about not being asked to be a part of the reunion tour. He says the band even rejected his suggestion that he join them on stage for several songs at the group's Rose Bowl concert in Pasadena."
    I get why they didn't approach him for the "resumption" tour, but I do wish they would have let him do a special "guest spot" on a show or two.
    I don't want to upset anyone but I don't see how 'guest spots' with the Eagles would have benefited Meisner in any way.

They are not that sort of band. Sentimentality is not how they operate (unless you count the obsession with rigid setlists).

Default Re: Randy Meisner in the Press

I don't see how it would have hurt him in any way.

As for the band not being sentimental - I would hesitate to make such sweeping statements. Just because they don't often display it doesn't mean they're incapable of it.