Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy Meisner in the Press

Default Re: Randy Meisner in the Press

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Good estimate, UnderTheWire. Since then, the interviewer John Beaudin was kind enough to respond to my email: "I talked to Randy around 2001. He had lots of time so we just talked and talked."

John also shared that he will post the audio to this interview on YouTube, which I'd really like to hear! I love Randy's voice, both speaking and singing.
    Well done!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    TBS' soul patch does correspond to his 2001 album Feed the Fire.
    LOL - how long did Timothy have the soul patch? When Musicgirl posted that lovely photo of Randy and Tim together, she said it was taken on Randy's 65th birthday, which would be March 2011 I believe.

This is an interesting article about singer-songwriter Mark Guerrero's encounters with Randy. I was especially intrigued to learn that Randy was putting a band together with Steely Dan's David Palmer (the same David Palmer who wrote "Darkness of the Heart" from Randy's 3rd solo album, I presume).

http://markguerrero.com/misc_22.php

Great find, Delilah! Muchas gracias.

Thanks!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

This is a short piece about Randy from a fellow Nebraskan writing for a local Houston-area paper, The Tribune. I'm quoting most of it in the event the link expires.

Tom's Tall Tales - Do You Remember Randy Meisner?
    Monday, January 25, 2016

Tom Broad

Do You Remember Randy Meisner?

When I heard last week that Glenn Frey of Eagles fame had died, my mind turned to Randy Meisner.
    Who?
    Randy Meisner and Glenn Frey were two of the four founding members of The Eagles, and Randy, according to my crowd, was just about the coolest guy to every come out of Scottsbluff High School. My hometown of Alliance is just about 60 miles northeast of Scottsbluff, Nebraska. We’re almost on the Wyoming-Nebraska border.
    Randy was part of the Dynamics, actually the “Drivin’ Dynamics,” and in the early 1960s, they played every high school homecoming and prom at every school in Western Nebraska, Southern South Dakota and Eastern Wyoming.
    I swear, for us kids in the sticks, they were bigger than the Beatles. You could actually meet ‘em and touch ‘em. We all knew somebody who knew Randy’s mom and dad or one of his classmates.
    Every Friday night, local bands played at the Teen Center in the Alliance Municipal Auditorium. The place was just about as glamorous as the name. When the Drivin’ Dynamics played, the place was packed.
    By the mid-'60s, I headed off to Lincoln to become a television anchor. Randy went to Hollywood to become a rock star.
    Randy nailed it. We all knew people who knew Randy, so it was pretty easy to keep up with him. He helped form Poco, then joined Ricky Nelson’s group and finally Linda Ronstadt’s band – oh, we were all so impressed – before creating the Eagles with Frey, Don Henley and Bernie Leadon.
    Oh, the price of fame. I saw Randy on TMZ last year and it was pretty sad. You can Google it if you really want to see how he’s doing. I’d prefer to remember the bright, young kid who mesmerized us on Friday nights.

http://ourtribune.com/article.php?id=19613

Thank you, D.

This is a "new" article that appeared on the RockCellar website in Nov 2016, though the interview was done at least 8 to 10 years ago. It's a long interview, with a lot of great biographical detail on Randy's early musical career.

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/20....BrKVWOLE.dpbs

P.S. I never knew he had a throat operation; he doesn't specify when. "Since then [OOTN] I do have to sing a little lower because I had an operation on my throat. I had some nodes on my vocal chords, which was kinda neat for the time because I could sing one note and get a harmony. There was a node in the middle of my vocal chords, it was like two voices coming out."
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 12-20-2016 at 10:04 AM.

NMB, what a great find!! There are some new things in that article that I have not heard before. How cool!! Randy seemed to talk for quiet a while, that's great. Thanks for finding it!!

Isn't it cool? I can't take credit for finding it though, it was passed along by a FB friend. A much shorter version of this interview was published several years ago, but this expanded article has wonderful "new" (to us) details.