Page 140 of 300 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190240 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 2991

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

I think in a sub your escape craft would have to be a smaller sub, launched from inside the big one so that there was no air/water leaks, thus doing away with the danger of the bends!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

Okay to help here I googled

A boat becomes a ship when it is capable of venturing out into the open waters having been sealed or protected from the elements, whereas; a boat is an open vessel susceptible to the elements. Think of it this way: you can ship a boat but you wouldn't ship a ship it would ship itself

So a cruise ship is a ship. Why a sub is a boat I have no idea. But we have pleasure boats and other sorts of boats, yachts and the like.

Now I know you want to know this so I googled again

The Navy considers all vessels ships; however, submarines are historically referred to as boats due to the nature of the first submarines. A boat in Naval terminology is a vessel that is launched or tended from a larger ship. The earliest submarines required support vessels to maintain and launch them, hence they were termed boats.

So now I understand where DH is coming from (I think). He still thinks like he's in the Navy.
    Melanie

Yep that's it
    Melanie

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    You know, when you see someone EVERY day, that is complaining at how they need to lose weight, and are going to Weight Watchers's but yet, eating two huge donuts EVERY day you see them, my sympathy is GONE. Don't complain about being overweight so all that can hear and then make poor food choices.
    But You don't need to be so rude and point it out to them in public.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    But You don't need to be so rude and point it out to them in public.

LOL! I never said it to them. They broadcast to everybody that they are on Weight Watcher's and want to lose. We all just look at each other and roll our eyes.

Willie, best of luck this weekend getting everything sorted at your MIL's house.

Thanks for the kind comments on my birthday card from Natalie. I love that kid so much. She just makes my heart feel good every time I see her or talk to her on the phone. I do need to get back to my hometown more often because my SIL tells me that Nat often asks when I'm coming home because she wants me to come play with her. Breaks my heart when i hear something like that. I was actually planning to go back this week but that darn snow storm left me stranded at home. The roads were too bad to travel on. We got so much snow and ice that I wasn't able to move my car out of it's parking spot until today.
    Last edited by Peekaboo; 02-05-2011 at 07:08 AM.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Take care in that ice, Jess!

I've had quite an exciting morning (see the Petmania thread!), although I am sick yet again. I have a raging sore throat and a horrible cough. It started on Thursday and it's worse now. It's not tonsillitus, but it's just as painful. I'm off work anyway until Friday this week, which is good. I'm dosing up with whatever meds I can find! If I'm not better soon, I'll call the doctor. I should have a little companion from Monday to cheer me up anyway...

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

As well as watching the rugby this afternoon, I've been doing a bit of drawing. I'm sorry for my preoccupation with all things Old West, but y'know... These kinds of photos lend themselves to being drawn! I promise I'll get round to doing the Eagles soon!

Anyway, here's the James boys...

I normally do portraits quite large, so I was kind of happy that I got fairly decent features on a smaller scale. (This is an A4 sheet of paper, landscape.)

On a similar subject, I received my first Civil War relic in the mail yesterday - it's a cuff button from a US Infantry soldier's uniform. I love history and I'm fascinated, like many people, with this era in particular, so I was thrilled to get something real like that. I just wish I knew more about it. Who did it belong to? How old was he? When and how did he die? Unfortunately I'll never know... but it's fun to wonder.

I know a couple of my friends in the States have Civil War stuff passed down through generations... anyone have anything like that at home? I'd love to see pictures or hear stories, if you do!

I'd love to visit the kinds of places you're describing (even if they DO just look like normal fields!) I wish I could collect a whole load of Civil War relics, but man, they're expensive. I got my cuff button for $20... it was one of the few things I could afford. I am pleased with it, though. Just to hold something that was sewn onto a Civil War soldier's uniform is pretty amazing to me. My button was found in Richmond, VA. Unfortunately they've taken the picture down from the website, and I can't get a good shot of mine at the moment because my digital camera is flat, but this is another one that's similar. Mine is smaller though, and it has an "I" in the middle for Infantry, not an "A" for Artillery...

http://www.virginiarelics.com/pc3364.htm

Your drawing of the James Boys is unsurpassable! True talent!