Page 172 of 300 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182222272 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 2991

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

I think the 'texting queen' might have to learn to use alternate forms of communication! As terrifying as that is for her to comprehend now, eventually, she'll get used to it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I'm the last member of my family that still lives on land that was my grandparents farm. When I was very young, there was a picture taken of me & my grandpa near a huge oak tree. We were really close, and he passed when I was 6, so I always felt cheated on our time together.
    When I divorced, my mom gave a couple acres and I put a house near that tree. A couple of Thanksgivings ago, while I was washing dishes, I watched the tree fall down. No storm, wind, nothing. I was devastated. I wanted the legacy of my "Grandpa tree" to live on, so I had it milled. It was so large in diameter, I had to go to a pallet mill where they had a big enough blade. It was Amish, horses were harnessed to a frame and pulled the log thru the saw area, it was really neat to watch. Then it went to a kiln to dry it out, then on to an Amish friend of mine that makes hand-made furniture. Today I got the first piece, a bureau for my niece and her husband. I thought it turned out great.

The grain shows up so pretty and it's not even finished yet. I think my grandpa'd be grinning on it! Next is a hope chest for my 6 yo grand-niece.
    Thanks grandpa tree.
    Last edited by jdubfan; 03-12-2011 at 01:06 AM.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Awww What a wonderful (but, sad) story, that piece of furniture is beautiful, something for your family to treasure for many, many years to come!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

That's a poignant story, Deb. I'm glad you were able to keep the "Grandpa tree" alive.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Deb,

There could be no greater monument to your Grandfather's memory than a beautiful piece of furniture that has been crafted by caring hands. Surely it will become a family heirloom, as will the rest of the pieces the woodworkers release from hiding in that tree!

What a wonderful idea.

MikeA

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

jdf, that is beautiful now and will be more so when finished. Great idea and what a sweet story.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

jdf, what a great but sad story!It's a wonderful idea to honour your grandpa. The furniture is beautiful!

Last Tuesday my Dad had birthday, he became 60.
    Today we have celebrated with family and friends, we were 40 people. It was a very nice day, I saw some of the guests the last time to the funerals of my grandparents, in the last year, it was really nice to see them to a gratifying event!
    We had a big refreshment bar, I have eaten definitively too much!LOL
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think the 'texting queen' might have to learn to use alternate forms of communication! As terrifying as that is for her to comprehend now, eventually, she'll get used to it.

That IS a possibility!

Another one is that she buy a phone on which she can download MSN or she and her friends get a BlackBerry each which has its own chat (IM system). Thats what Lou and I do! Its about €10 a month extra for pretty much unlimited downloads and really is no different from texting. Anyone with an internet enabled mobile can download MSN for free and can chat away accordingly. There's also facebook chat, and again, most phones can take the Facebook app.

As for the wardrobe (I presume you mean her clothes), again Katie would possibly be cheaper travelling light and buying her clothes in the UK. With clmate differences etc she'd be better placed to see what in fact she needs. There are many v reasonable retailers. When she's done then she could just send them off to charity. It'd save as much as shipping. And be a LOT less stressful!
    WOW! JDF, that chest is lovely. I'm sure it brings back so many memories. I'm sure your late grandfather is delighted with your use of his tree!

Koala, congrats to your Dad. Its great to have a happy occasion for your family to celebrate after the funerals last year.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

She could become the 'Queen of Primark' maybe. All of her wardrobe for less than £50 or £60 and then charity bag it when done.

My girls went in there last w/e and came out with 5 tops between them for £12.50. That doesn't even cover half a top from my fave shops.

Love the new piece furniture JDF. WHat a great way for your Grandad's tree to live on.
    Melanie

Deb, that is a great idea! The piece looks great.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.