Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MySpace on its way out?

Default MySpace on its way out?

MySpace was all the rage as recently as a year ago, but now it seems most of my friends have transitioned over to Facebook and Twitter. And after all that time I spent making MySpaces for the sites! Ah well, such is the way of trends.... remember MySpace's precursor Friendster? Nobody's on that now, as attested by [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mFJdOsjJ0k"]this hilarious video.[/ame]

Although I appreciate that MySpace allows for more creativity in design and the use of multimedia on profiles, it is also riddled with spam, phishing, and other security issues. On MySpace, I personally had to deal with cyber-stalking, harassment, and fake accounts pretending to be me or pretending affiliation with the EOC network sites (see the thread I was forced to start about it here - Guess I should be flattered there are folks out there who would devote that much time/effort to lil' ol' me! )

Also, I am unimpressed with MySpace's latest efforts to mimic Facebook's status updates and applications in order to regain those who've left its ranks for the other social network. Plus, despite the fact that its members are of all age groups, MySpace still maintains a reputation of being mostly populated by teens. Facebook started as a college-driven site. Again, although that is no longer true, many users still perceive Facebook as the "more adult." And what teen doesn't want to be like the college kids?

Anyone agree? Disagree?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: MySpace on its way out?

I'll hang on to MySpace for a bit just to keep up on Dilana's updates. She seems more committed to MS than FB. Lucy seems to orient more to FB.

But TRUTH: I see very little activity on MS and tons on FB.

And I do agree....FB does seem more oriented toward Adults: All those "games" and everything <LOL>.

I gotta admit...I very seldom check in on MS or FB or Tweedle-de-dee. I guess I'm a forum hound between here on The Border and on Recording Review. Plus cruising on Sweetwater's site and NewEgg.

MikeA

I've been more on FB than MS Lately myself

I very rarely get on myspace these days. I think I logged in to mine about a month ago. I don't know why I don't get on there anymore. I've actually had a Facebook page longer than i've had a myspace page. I joined facebook in 2003 when it was all the craze for college kids. I was a sophmore at OU at the time. Then I signed up with myspace around 2005. I didn't really no what all the buzz was about with these social networking sites when i first signed up but after a while I really got into myspace (about 2 years ago). Until about 2 months, I didn't really care to log on to my facebook and I even forgot my password but i was hearing from friends and coworkers that I should start getting on there again. I eventually gave in and now i'm totally addicted to facebook. I'm so addicted to farming and playing bejewelled on there. Plus, i've found a lot of my highschool friends and some family members that I haven't seen in years.

I've heard from a few people that sometime this year the owners/creators of Facebook are going to be charging people to use the site. I certainly hope this isn't true.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

I use both FarmVille and Farm Town, and PetVille, YoVille, My Zoo and Mafia Wars

Peek, that's a hoax. My one main pet peeve with FB are all the hoax groups that take advantage of people's trust. That's why I NEVER repost "warnings." They are almost always fake.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Peek, that's a hoax.
    Good to know. I just heard that from someone at work.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

I signed on to MS back in 2006 and it took me this long to come up with 400 or so friends. Now that I don't have internet it's hard for me to get to it. Mine is basically a fan site anyway, I certainly didn't get very personal with it. I have to say the best thing to come from any site like this is being able to meet other fans some that have either travelled to FL or me travelling to meet up with them for shows. Now I basically keep up with them through forums.
    Last edited by Fan_For_Life; 01-21-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Another pet peeve of mine regarding Facebook: all the "IF [large number of] PEOPLE JOIN THIS GROUP [desirable event occurs]" groups.

The following are ALL REAL GROUPS on Facebook:

If 1,170,000 People Join My Girlfriend Will Marry Me!
    Maybe this dude should reconsider a proposal to a girl who has told him she won't marry him unless over a million people tell her to. Has he considered the possibility that this is her way of saying "Hell no, I won't marry you, you lame-o!"

If 1 Million People Join My Dad Will not Put Our Dog to sleep
    So, your dog is old and sick, but your dad is so affected by strangers he doesn't know on Facebook that he will spend whatever it takes to keep the dog alive as long as possible? Um. Yeah.

If this group Reaches 500,000 members I will name my son Batman

I pray this is a hoax.

If 100,000 People Join This Group, My Friend Will Get Off Of Death Row
    Yes, there are people who believe this claim that a judge would listen to random Facebook users when deciding a Death Row case. I believe the word "gullible" would be fair to use here.

And this is just a few of 'em! There are apparently many, many folks out there who will say anything just to have a group with a lot of members. These people are pathetic, but what is truly sad is how many people are having their trust abused and falling for it.

Border Desperado Midnight_Flyer's Avatar

i usually go on both, if i log in to facebook, i usually log into myspace
    on facebook, i've found loads of family members i haven't seen in years or even know i had

also on facebook, i'm addicted to the games..cafe world, petville, bejeweled blitz and island paradise