Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toronto 6/8/2010

Default Re: Toronto 6/8/2010

Oh, I wasn't doubting you, Kath. I very much hope it's just something temporary!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Out on the Border

Really enjoyed the show. It did seem rushed but I knew it would be a shortend set list and I came to hear them play not talk. Love Walsh but could do with less of his solo songs and more Eagles. Wish they had played Long Road out of Eden. For a bunch of 60 year olds, I thought they looked and sounded good and it is an Eagles trademark to start their shows without any fanfare, lights go down, lights come up and song starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander4133 View Post
    Wish they had played Long Road out of Eden.
    I know Highlander! I kept waiting for them to play LROOE and waiting ...and waiting LOL

Stuck on the Border

I am sorry that Glenn apparently 'struggled'. That is not what the review said. The review said he was in 'exceptional voice'.

Why is it that only Glenn 'struggles'? When one of the others 'struggles' nothing is ever said about it. I can assure you that back in 2004 Henley 'struggled' every night I saw them.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well Kath, I'm glad you got to go to the show, and it's great that you enjoyed yourself. Hopefully, this won't be your last show though.

However, I'm may be the lone disenter here, but I think that's an awesome set list. It is almost impossible to please everyone. On one hand we complain because they don't play just Eagles songs, and on the other hand we don't want them to become a tribute to themselves. They have to play songs that the majority of fans recognize, and they want the show to rock at the end. About the last third of that set list is seemingly 'untouchable' since it has consistently been in the set list in virtually the same order since the HFO resumption. Honestly, I think they must be doing something right since they continue to be one of the top touring acts in the world.

Now, does that mean I wouldn't like to hear other songs - of course, I would. I'd prefer to hear their entire catalog. But seriously, if I could change a few things, I would replace Walk Away with Already Gone. And as much as I love Peaceful Easy Feeling, Lyin' Eyes, and Witchy Woman, I would gladly alternate them occasionally with Tequila Sunrise, New Kid In Town, and Wasted Time.
    Dreamer, to me playing those exact same solo songs is just as much a tribute to themselves (or at least to Henley and Walsh) as it would be if they played Eagles songs. As you say yourself they have played every one of these since HFO. The only one they dropped was ASWTDID and even that was briefly revived. AND they apparently now think a solo song is so important that it has to be the second last song in the set.

I don't dispute they are 'doing something right' but I object to this wholesale dumping of the LROOE songs whenever the setlist is shorter because of this apparent need to 'please the majority'.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-09-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    Thanks for the review, Kath. I'm sorry to hear that Glenn appeared to be having vocal issues. Maybe I was just completely caught up in the whole San Jose experience when I saw them, but I didn't get the idea that Glenn was struggling at all (although I know the critics have been commenting on his voice for months.) I'm pleased you were able to go in the end, although it's a shame you didn't get to hear the acoustic set.

Having said the above, I am inclined to agree with Dreamer's comments about the set list. I understand the various complaints and questions that have been raised in here and in other threads but, as Kay said, it's impossible to please everyone. Although I would much rather see a 'pure Eagles' show, I can imagine that this was a great chance to see two bands for people who aren't hardcore Eagles fans. I imagine that many who attended would have been thrilled with the set list - for the Eagles to play two hours straight (after the audience had already had two hours of music) is great. Most concerts only last a couple of hours anyway.

I can understand why 'us hardcores' wouldn't necessarily pay to see the Eagles with another band, because we know we're going to get a shorter set list than the one we are used to... but for many people, it's a great experience. Although the idea of seeing the Dixie Chicks doesn't thrill me personally, I get a kick out of hearing that the Eagles are doing different things. People complain that they never change things up and that they come off as too serious/aloof... and then they complain when they share the stage with other, younger bands. I say good on 'em! It may not have worked out to everyone's tastes, but I still like the fact that they are trying it.

I don't see how having a support band means the Eagles are 'doing different things'. The Eagles themselves, as we have noticed, are just dumping the recent songs.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    Yes, I know, we are never satisfied... but really, 6 out of 21 songs are solo. That leaves us 15 Eagles songs. It's just dissappointing I guess. I mean, I know it will be a blast for anyone who does go to these shows. How can seeing the guys be anything less than great? It's just sad we don't get more Eagles, that's all.
    I agree. Devoting more than a quarter of the setlist to solo songs is excessive. When I go to an Eagles show, I'm going to hear them do Eagles songs, not their greatest solo hits. If I want that, I'll go to their solo concerts. That truncated setlist along with the shows being held in stadiums are enough to keep me away from these particular shows.

Out on the Border

Agree, no more stadium shows. If the boys agree to do two nights in a smaller venue, I promise to buy tickets to both nights.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Why is it that only Glenn 'struggles'? When one of the others 'struggles' nothing is ever said about it. I can assure you that back in 2004 Henley 'struggled' every night I saw them.
    I can think of several times when people have commented about Tim and Don struggling with their voices - most recently during Don's solo shows last fall. I'm pretty sure there several comments about it, including in my own review. However, I'm not really sure what the purpose is of making such observations anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't dispute they are 'doing something right' but I object to this wholesale dumping of the LROOE songs whenever the setlist is shorter because of this apparent need to 'please the majority'.
    Well - good grief, if they aren't supposed to try to please the majority of people who come to their shows, just who are they supposed to try to please???

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Smile Re: Toronto 6/8/2010

Everyone has good days and bad days....even the eagles! I still think they ROCK! If I could sing like that at their age...well I should say if only I could sing! LOL