Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toronto 6/8/2010

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Toronto 6/8/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

Well - good grief, if they aren't supposed to try to please the majority of people who come to their shows, just who are they supposed to try to please???
    I don't know which songs the 'majority' wish to see played, but I have read Borderers' comments today. Most of us seem to feel that if shorter sets are played, then Eagles songs should take precedence over solo songs.

This is a very difficult issue. You will say that the solo songs have been left in there, untouched, for years because the 'majority' like them, but they have never been given a chance to hear anything different in that part of the show.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-10-2010 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks for the review TF. Sorry to hear that Glenn had troubles with his voice.
    In addition it is very unfortunate that they except How Long all LROOE had cancelled!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    However, I'm may be the lone disenter here, but I think that's an awesome set list. It is almost impossible to please everyone. On one hand we complain because they don't play just Eagles songs, and on the other hand we don't want them to become a tribute to themselves.

Ok--I'm slow so talk slow with small words when you answer.

I keep seeing "tribute to themselves". I don't see how a band can become a tribute to themselves. There are lots of Eagles tribute bands out there that play Eagles music and are not the Eagles. To me a band playing their own music is just that, a band playing the music that they are known for, have made mega amounts of fans and money from and who people will pay to see to continue to do it.

Is "tribute to themselves" just a play on words then?

When I see the Eagles--I want to see Eagles songs. I don't mind at all seeing an Eagle play 1 or 2 solo songs (preferably equal to all-1/2Glenn, 1/2Tim, 1/2Don...you get the point).

And call me stingy- I personally don't want them to share the bill but if they do, I will be very picky about who they share it with. The whole Eagles/Fleetwood Mac thing sounded wonderful but as soon as that changed to DC & KU, they lost me! I've thought about this a bit and you know what, had they stuck with FW and were playing Soldier Field, I most likely would have shelled out that much money for those 2 groups together. Just saying.....
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Videos are up! (for now lol)

Desperado

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei5SLCKgQr8[/ame]

Hotel California

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAQLuCGsmYY[/ame]

Take it Easy

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOzXhx1pJU8[/ame]

Dang! Everytime I hear the audience singing along to a song I get all emotional. Why?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

TBF, I think it was Don or Glenn who said they didn't want to be a tribute to themselves. Meaning, they wanted to keep making new music and not rest on their laurels. Thus, LROOE was born.

I think that is why it does not make sense that they play so many oldies and don't share enough of the new. If they don't play the new songs, how can those songs get recognized, to become future oldies. KWIM?

Also, as far as the solo material goes. If they have been playing that second part of the set list since HFO, to me, it seems time for a change. I believe with my whole heart, if those solo songs were changed out for TS, AG, NKIT, WT, TS, etc... they would be equally accepted and appreciated.

If they keep playing the same songs over and over, the songs become tired. People who see the band every time they come to their city, should be treated to a couple of different songs.

Love the HC video! I know what you mean Cathy.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, all I've been trying to say is that it is impossible for the band to please everyone with their set list. Therefore, they play what they believe the majority of fans want to hear. Even if it's not what I want to hear, who am I to argue? Given their amazing success, apparently their instincts are pretty good. JMHO

Thanks for the videos, tf.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Dreamer, I understand what you are saying. If it's not broken, don't fix it. I know they can't please everyone... but "to me"... it seems like they are laurel resting.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    TBF, I think it was Don or Glenn who said they didn't want to be a tribute to themselves. Meaning, they wanted to keep making new music and not rest on their laurels. Thus, LROOE was born.
    I think that is why it does not make sense that they play so many oldies and don't share enough of the new. If they don't play the new songs, how can those songs get recognized, to become future oldies. KWIM?
    Yeah I get what you are saying but them dropping the LROOE songs doesn't really bother me like I know it bothers some others. I guess my biggest compaint about it all is that the solo works of Joe Walsh are so plentiful when great Eagles songs like AG, BOML & NKIT are not. I LOVE Joe--don't get me wrong but it's an EAGLES show not a Joe Walsh show and I'd feel the same way if it was all Don, Glenn or even Timothy . I know he fires up the crowd, yadda, yadda...I get that, but I get pretty damned fired up also when I hear my favorite Eagles songs.