Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don doing Already Gone and Lyin Eyes?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Don doing Already Gone and Lyin Eyes?

Or it could just be they have to make sure they get the harmony right.
    Hmmm - I never thought of that. I'm sure that must be it.

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

Wow - I've been away for a couple of days and what a nice treat to come back to. Just like I said before - seeing these screenshots has turned me into a HUGE puddle of goo! Thanks Julie and L&M. And I still think it's a "We've got a secret" moment for Don and Glenn - especially when they get to the "Oh and it's a hollow feeling" line. Oh well - I guess they're not going to tell us!

~~~~~~

This is a complete tangent but... what does "dealin' friends" refer to? Does it refer to a friend who is a rival whom he has betrayed (ie "false dealing" a guy by stealing his woman), and is it guilt making him feel hollow? Or does it refer to the woman, and the hollowness of dissatisfaction he feels when she can give him no more than friendship (ie, the hand they were dealt was that of friendship rather than love). I tend towards the latter, but it's unusual way of expressing it.

~

Stuck on the Border

I lean to your first theory, that it's about a male friend, not a woman.

And I vote for 'all of the above.' I think the line is intentionally vague so that it can infer either of these or friends in general. To me the whole song is written in that way - I always thought of it as a generalization about the way 'friendships' were back in the '70's - about how easily friends could come and go. 'Dealing friends' could be a reference to how you shuffled friendships/women like you shuffle a deck of cards. For instance, how a typical '70's evening of drinking, get stoned, and one night stands could leave you with a hollow and numb feeling. That's kinda the way it was back then.

~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    I always got the feeling that Desperado really is special for both Don and Glenn. I feel the same way about Tequila Sunrise. This is the one song where Don and Glenn are almost always warm and fuzzy. Whenever they perform it, Don usually always looks at Glenn with this little sly smile as if they are hiding some little secret just between the two of them. But then, I may be reading too much into this - perhaps the fondness just stems from the fact that these were the first two songs they wrote together.
    I agree with you. I think TS and Desperado are really important to them since they were the first two songs they wrote together. That's when they became a team.