Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking up hitch hikers?

Border Desperado

Default Picking up hitch hikers?

Since much of my misspent youth was transported on the weight of an outstretched thumb 'running down the road tryin' to loosin' my load' in the 70's... as the years stretch out before me, I see fewer and fewer hitch hikers all the time... and I haven't hitch hiked in years....

Do you pick up hitch hikers?
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Default Re: Picking up hitch hikers?

Ok, You make some very random threads.

Also, you do realize the dangers of hitch hiking? Never know who might pick you up. a rapist, serial killer.

Border Desperado

This was the weirdest thing ever....

Years ago, my buddy and I picked up a guy after four wheeling. My buddy jumped into the back seat, we let the hitch hiker take the front.

Guy was a little weird, but seemed OK. He was laughing and joking, even offered us a bit of weed (which we turned down). Oddest thing was he was clutching to a duffle bag like his life depended on it, even when he seemed perfectly relaxed.

A few miles down the road, my buddy starts asking the guy about where he grew up, what he did for a living etc. The hitch hiker shared his life story, turns out we all grew up in the same area (although he was about 10 years older than we were at the time)

Eventually, my buddy asks about the bag. The expression wiped off the hitch hikers face, and he said "none of your damn business"

We both got silent, but then the hitch hiker smiled, and turned up the radio, and said "I love this song!" It relieved some of the tension, and my buddy changed the subject.

Eventually, my buddy grew comfortable enough, and said "seriously dude, what's in the bag?"

The hitch hiker grew angry again, and yelled "I told you it was NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS!"

My buddy motioned for me to pull over, so I did, and my buddy yelled at the hitch hiker to get out NOW. The hitch hiker jumped out, and we took off. About 5 miles down the road, we pulled over again, and my buddy jumped back into the front seat. To our surprise, the hitch hiker left his bag on the floor!

The guy was spooky and my buddy said the reason he yelled at him was that he could see he had a pretty big knife that he was 'fingering', I haven't picked up a hitch hiker again. We always wondered if that guy was a serial killer or something.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Also, you do realize the dangers of hitch hiking? Never know who might pick you up. a rapist, serial killer.
    exactly!

Saw an episode about this on CSI. A Guy picked up someone and ended up dead

Okay, I'll bite - what was in the bag?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

One of my ex-boyfriends used to hitchhike regularly and even now does it whenever his crappy car breaks down. For him, it's like taking the bus. When he told me this, I asked him "Are you freaking crazy?" - I mean he was putting himself at other people's mercy - but he doesn't seem to be nervous about that in the least. He even hitch-hiked on the way to the MLA conference last year. The only bad experience he had was in California where he said one guy who picked him up kept "looking at him funny." lol That didn't deter him from doing it again, though.

I guess it's different for guys; they don't have to worry about things like rapists and have a better chance of fighting off someone who might try to hurt them.

A single woman picking up a hitch-hiker is asking to be car-jacked at the very least, found in a shallow grave at the very worst.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Nope, no way! Way too dangerous for a woman.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I have picked up two hikers and did not have a bad experience but I have since lived to get older and wiser and will never do it again. Both of the guys were very polite but one did get real "pushy" and insisted he knew my neighbor and wanted me to take him to his house. I made him get out at our local Circle K and told him to call my neighbor and have him come get him if he wanted him to know where he lived and also where I lived.