Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey in the Press - Retro Edition!

Default Glenn Frey in the Press - Retro Edition!

This is an article from Melody Maker, April 13, 1985. It seems to be a session of quickfire topics requiring instant comments, but it's fun!

SHRINK WRAP

This week the probing eye falls on former Eagle and aspiring actor Glenn Frey…

Eddie Murphy
    This generation’s Richard Pryor.

Roy Rogers
    Jeeze, squeaky clean, the perfect cowboy. G-rated, the perfect good guy.

Yesterday
    The song or…? A place I don’t spend any time.

LA
    LA is a great town, it really is. It’s not as laid back as some people think, not as fast as others think. It’s slightly misunderstood. The best place I could possibly have moved from high school.

The American Dream
    Something the Reagan administration is slowly but surely taking away from the working class in my country. Our country was built on the middle class, on believing that, if a man worked hard, he could be a success in life. That’s just not so true anymore. The trickle-down theory is not working under President Reagan, it’s not trickling down to the right people. He’s still protecting the rich and not doing much for the people who fought in World War Two, people my parents’ age.

The Eagles
    That was nine, wild, glorious years. The greatest way a guy could spend his twenties.

Tomorrow
    Where are my drugs? Tomorrow’s the Concorde back to New York, tomorrow is writing more songs and learning from today and using it tomorrow.

Guitarists
    Pain in the ass…no! Uh…guitarists…Eric Clapton, Albert King, James Burton, Don Felder and Joe Walsh.

MTV
    It’s an interesting concept and something we definitely have to deal with now. It’s a very good promotional tool. The only thing wrong with MTV I guess is that sometimes videos take your imagination away because you get to see the music – sometimes that’s good, sometimes it’s not.

Cars
    Where everything happened when I was growing up. No-one could afford an apartment and you couldn’t do it at your parents’ house. Cars were the symbol of freedom. My favourites? Porsche.

Sleep
    Does wonders.

Pets
    I have three dogs and a cat. I like pets. All they ask you to do is love ‘em.

Pregnancy
    Someday soon, I hope. Yes, I’d like to have kids and I’ve been married for almost two years now and my wife and I have kinda figured out that we get along so now we might be able to involve an innocent bystander.

Cigarettes
    Something I gave up for 10 years and started doing again as soon as I got a job as an actor.

‘The Boys Of Summer’
    A brilliant record. I’m really happy for Henley. In fact, I think that whole album he made is a terrific record. I know he worked for a year and a half on it and sweated blood and he deserves all the success he gets. Congratulations, Don!

Drugs
    You got any? Sometimes they make you smart, sometimes they make you stoopid.

Heroes
    I don’t know that we should always have heroes. We tend to make too much out of them. The people we usually call heroes aren’t heroes at all. The heroes, to me, are the Albert Schweitzers of the world, those who strive for peace, and also my dad, y’know…to me a hero’s a guy who goes out and busts his ass for 10 hours a day five days a week so his kid has school clothes, so his kid can get an education. These are the kind of people we should look up to, people who work hard for a living and sacrifice and give some of themselves. It’s unfortunate that we always seem to make heroes of popular entertainers and people with money. Money is seldom accompanied by taste.

Hippies
    Hippies aren’t called hippies now but it seems to me that a lot of the Sixties idealism is starting to resurface with all the work that the music industry is doing for Ethiopia and things like that. I think that’s very good. All the people that dropped out have dropped back in again now but it seems to me that a lot of the young people, kids just out of high school, are starting to be romanced again by that idealism. Hippies had a conscience and I think the Sixties, as the decades go on, will get their just due.

Death
    I’m too busy living to think about dying.

Villains
    I often wonder who the villains are in real life. I can think of a lot of ‘em – Westinghouse, General Electric, the oil companies, Khomeini, the asshole in Libya…I guess you need villains or you can’t have heroes.

Sex
    Over-rated, over-discussed and, as far as casual sex, I think God has figured out a way to cut down on it – AIDS and herpes.

Billy Idol
    Very interesting. Unique. He’s very charismatic, very good visually – Elvis’s sneer, Jim Morrison’s voice and Buckwheat’s hair. I think there’s a place in the music business for Billy Idol. I don’t know where though.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

They were great! Thanks, GEF.
    I am not an island
    I am not alone
    I am my intentions
    Trapped here in this flesh and bone

That was very interesting to read. Thanks for posting it!

Stuck on the Border

I hadn't read that. Porsche, eh? I knew the German in him had to emerge somewhere.

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Very interesting to read. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    I hadn't read that. Porsche, eh? I knew the German in him had to emerge somewhere.
    He certainly looks good in a Porsche...

I wonder if he used his own car in the Smugglers Blues video?

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

I like his saying his dad is his hero. So sweet. That answer came straight from the heart with no thought to building his image or anything. Such a good boy. lol

Stuck on the Border

I wondered about the car as well, but surely not... but in CHC in Ordinary Average Guy the line is 'Glenn's got a Porsche and Joe lost his Dodge'.

I found another screenshot of the car.

I have to confess I'm not really noticing the car in that last one!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Great car. Great hair. Great video!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten