Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey in the Press - Retro Edition!

Default Re: Glenn Frey in the Press - Retro Edition!

And I suppose when you're diagnosed with a chronic disorder such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, one of the first things they probably tell you is to maintain your overall health, which would definitely include quitting smoking, or smoking regularly. Don't know when he was diagnosed, but I would bet dollars to donuts that seriously curtailed any remaining smoking habit. (Though the pot he smoked back in the day might help some days with nagging joint pain!)

Do admire him from quitting in '77, though. It was a time of high stress, I'm sure, when other band members and roadies, etc. were probably smoking up a storm, so good for him for stopping...even though I'm sure his other habits at the time were much worse than tobacco!

I like his line in the MTV paragraph about videos sometimes taking your imagination away because you get to see the music. What do you think he meant by that?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

At the songwriter's event he talked a lot about the lyrics and the music needing to paint a picture, and especially from the intro, and used Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight as an example. He's also talked about songs being interpreted by the listener to be what works for them (or words to that effect). So I'm guessing he's talking about that. When you hear a song and think about the video, you're taking away from your own imagination. You're only 'hearing' and 'seeing' one person's interpretation and taking it on as your own.

ETA: An essay question!! How much differently would your feelings for HC be if there'd been a video with it? It's been one of the most discussed songs ever as far as meaning. Would that discussion have taken place if there'd been a video? Also, can you truly appreciate the guitars (the best ever in the history of rock and roll) if you're watching a video instead of really listening?
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    At the songwriter's event he talked a lot about the lyrics and the music needing to paint a picture, and especially from the intro, and used Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight as an example. He's also talked about songs being interpreted by the listener to be what works for them (or words to that effect). So I'm guessing he's talking about that. When you hear a song and think about the video, you're taking away from your own imagination. You're only 'hearing' and 'seeing' one person's interpretation and taking it on as your own.

ETA: An essay question!! How much differently would your feelings for HC be if there'd been a video with it? It's been one of the most discussed songs ever as far as meaning. Would that discussion have taken place if there'd been a video? Also, can you truly appreciate the guitars (the best ever in the history of rock and roll) if you're watching a video instead of really listening?
    Perhaps this should be a separate topic. But to answer briefly I don't think my feelings would have been different.

I am still annoyed that there was no video for Heartache Tonight.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I don't think there would be near the controversy over the song if they had made a video for it. It would stop a lot of the speculation and people would mostly take it for what they saw. That would be me for sure. I think!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

If anyone's wondering where AEW's post went, I moved it to its own thread here:
    https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...ead.php?t=4348

Because that is one mega-cool find!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

That's a much better place for it--it's not really Glenn-exclusive, so thanks for relocating it!!

My guess is that it wouldn't have been an concept video, but rather a performance video. So things would still be the same lol.
    Concept video would have been cool though, but I'm not that lucky.

My feelings would be much the same. Perhaps it'd be good to try to decipher lyrics but otherwise having a video along with the song on the album wouldn't be a bad thing.

As far as the guitars, I certainly can appreciate them in a video. That's all I watch in performances of HC from the 70s. Just Felder and Walsh playing. It's truly a guitar song IMO. If there were no footage of them playing it (like there was footage on 3 songs of them playing them from TLR) then I'd probably prefer the album version, of course. But HC will always be a guitar song for me and nothing video or otherwise would change it. When you have a brilliant surgeon-like precision guitar player and a great bluesy raw energetic guitar player, it's hard not to focus on them.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border Thirsty&Hot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan View Post
    This is an article from Melody Maker, April 13, 1985. It seems to be a session of quickfire topics requiring instant comments, but it's fun!

MTV
    It’s an interesting concept and something we definitely have to deal with now. It’s a very good promotional tool. The only thing wrong with MTV I guess is that sometimes videos take your imagination away because you get to see the music – sometimes that’s good, sometimes it’s not.

I think it is definitely a mixed bag. I guess if I had heard Hotel California before seeing a video, I might be either disappointed or pleased depending on if it panned out as it had in my head. As far as the music goes...I would hope those bits would be "on a dark desert highway" or something so we could focus on the guitars.
    Honestly, HC doesn't need a video. None of the Eagles' songs do. They were masters at painting the pictures with words and music!

Cars
    Where everything happened when I was growing up. No-one could afford an apartment and you couldn’t do it at your parents’ house. Cars were the symbol of freedom. My favourites? Porsche.
    I like this for obvious naughty reasons haha.

Pets
    I have three dogs and a cat. I like pets. All they ask you to do is love ‘em.
    animal lover! xoxo

Death
    I’m too busy living to think about dying.
    I think maybe I need to get busier (if that's possible).
    As I get older, and in light of recent events, it's hard NOT to think about death :/
    If I can't have it all, just a taste will do...