Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Song Suggestions For Guitar?

Default Song Suggestions For Guitar?

Hi everyone! So I'm teaching myself guitar, an so far I've learned Won't Back Down (Tom Petty), Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin), Life's Been Good, You Are Not Alone, Long Road Out Of Eden, and part of the solo of Hotel California. If anyone has any good classic rock song ideas for me, that would be awesome. Also, if anyone here actually plays guitar, I'm all ears when it comes to pointers!
    Thanks everyone

Default Re: Song Suggestions For Guitar?

Rolling Stones "Honky Tonk Woman". Richards plays it in Open "G" but you can play it with normal tunings using G C, G A D, G C, G D G.

As they play it, they aren't really playing full chords. Richards and Taylor complimenting each other with Richards doing most of the rhythm. But even the solo parts aren't that complex...especially in Open "G" (drop the two "E" strings to "D" and drop the "A" string to "G".)

MikeA

Ok great, thank you so much. I'll have to try this one out

Uhm...try Come On Over from Shania Twain.
    Don't know if it's a great Guitar chord..
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

I should disclaim the lyrics on 'Honky Tonk Woman". Content is rather "R-Rated" and it would take some rewording to make it appropriate for a female to sing. But they are easy <LOL>

MikeA

lol yes I have noticed that so I just won't sing along!

But THAT would defeat the greatest thing about making playing a guitar "easy":
    SING LOUD!

MikeA

Eh... I don't think I'm even coordinated enough to sing and play at the same time! Haha. I'll give it a try though

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Hey, Good luck EF! I hope it goes well for you. I have pretty much all the Eagles and Glenn 's song books with guitar chords. PEF, and LE are easy enough to play, and you can usually substitute some of the harier chords easily enough.
    Another one that I like is 'American Pie' by Don McClean (sp?) and also 'Streets of London' by Ralph McTell.

Chordie.com is a good site to get the lyrics and chords of plenty of songs, and also it gives a guide to how easy it is to play the songs.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Thanks GA. I also have one Eagles songbook, and it has a lot of my favorites in it. Plus they're fairly easy to play. I'm playing every day, so I'm getting better. I thought I'd try some harder things, such as Funk 49, and the solo of Time by Pink Floyd. Thanks for telling me about chordie.com. I will have to go check it out!