Page 12 of 86 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Don videos on YouTube and other video sites

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    I found some great rarities on YouTube uploaded by "Muzakpunk"!

From Farm Aid 1985:
    - A Month of Sundays (so rare)
    - Boys of Summer (hoarse, but look at Don move!)
    - Sunset Grill (what's with wrapping the arm around the mic?)

And....

You Don't Know Me At All (David Letterman 1995) - ROCKIN'!
    Dang! I missed them! These have all been removed already!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Poor Don, forced to share the spotlight with David Lee Roth when announcing "Best Group" for the 1986 MTV video awards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PZEFmrSSAw

BTW, how lame is it that the MTV VJs took the awards to the tables instead of letting them come up to the podium and accept them? I know, they were just to be "cool" and "different."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Ah, youth....as Don said on his autograph in another thread!
    He did look very handsome in his tux , as the much more flamboyant David Lee Roth talked right over him.
    Money for Nothing is one of my favorite Dire Straits tunes, and Sting's background vocals makes it that much better.

A nice set of recent photos of Don and Stevie Nicks, set to a 1985 live version of Leather and Lace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZynvNCQC7o

Ooh, that was great. I love the way he looks at her when they are singing, and I loved him in that black shirt with the scroll embroidery. Niiiiiice.

Last night while looking for videos to download to my MP3 player, I came across this little gem when he performed Leonard Cohen's "Democracy" at Bill Clinton's first inaugural ball (ahhh, those were the days...). Don is uber-cool here, although we can't see his lovely eyes. I've never seen this clip and I've never heard the song before. Needless to say, it's going on my MP3 player!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWka3rZE3zI[/ame]

On a side note, I saw the video for Heart of the Matter for what I think is the first time! How did I miss this when it first came out? I'm so disappointed in it. It's such a beautiful song, but the video is just odd IMHO.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglsDQguWow[/ame]

And, Soda, can I just say again how awesome your Waiting in the Weeds video is? God, I watched it again yesterday and I can't believe how talented you are! You did such a great job with that.
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

I agree, the video for HOM is odd. It in no way reflects how truly beautiful and touching that song is.

Don writes and sings his songs beautifully, but he sometimes makes strange choices when it comes to filming his videos. He either nails his videos perfectly--like Boys of Summer, End of the Innocence, and Taking You Home --or misses the mark completely, like HOM or the completely weird Everything is Different Now.

I don't know if anyone has put this up anywhere or not, but here is Don's famous performance with Guns & Roses at the 1989 American Music Awards:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vELopIo6oJ0[/ame]

Thanks for posting links to those videos, katherine and DF. Even if they've been posted before, sometimes videos get buried and it's good to have them called to our attention again. Katherine, thanks for the compliment about my WITW video!

About the video for HOTM - I find it truly inexplicable. I guess he thought something "artsy" would be cool. However, considering how open and straightforward the emotion of the song is, the de-contextualized quasi-postmodern "artsiness" comes across as cold and detached from emotion. Talk about ironic.

Interestingly, I put up several Henley videos on YouTube one time, and HOTM was the only one that was taken down for copyright violation. I always found that odd.

Stuck on the Border

It's funny you should talk about such things as 'quasi post modern artsiness' which is cold and detached, re the HOTM video, because..... that is how I feel about the BOS video....

.....runs and hides, a very long way away......