Page 59 of 86 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Thread: Don videos on YouTube and other video sites

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Don videos on YouTube and other video sites

It's a good Halloween season video!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Good find, Soda. I'm gonna have to watch it a few more times to take it all in. I agree the video is a bit freaky, but so is the song. However, in spite of that, I still like the song even if it's not among my favorites of Don's.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border HenleyFan1971's Avatar

Same with me had to watch again very weird Don looks great as always

I saw the not clear one and saw a little of the clearer version. Its freaky. Everything Is Different Now is also a freaky video especially at the end. I like the song, but the video is freaky.

Yes, pretty strange video, but the song is strange!! Good for Halloween though!

Whoa! I just read that Don spent a million dollars of his own money to make that Garden of Allah video!! I had no idea! Do you guys know about the Garden of Allah? It was kinda like the original Hotel California. Tho it was a residence hotel. In the middle of Hollywood, lots of stars stayed there. Lots of crazy debauchery went on there a long, long time ago. Joni's "Big Yellow Taxi" is about L.A. tearing it down.

http://laist.com/2009/04/18/laistory...n_of_allah.php

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

I knew about the Garden of Allah. It is a fascinating piece of Hollywood History.

Honestly, though, I'm astounded that out of the three new songs on Actual Miles, this is the one Don shelled out major bucks to make a video for. Now I see why he wasn't thrilled with Geffen - he shouldn't have to pay for his own videos!

However, imagine if he had put that money behind the smokin' song "You Don't Know Me At All" or his brilliant take on "Everybody Knows" rather than the gimmicky and overwrought "Garden of Allah." This is actually my least favorite Don song ever. That part where Don as the "devil" goes into a discourse on moral nihilism using voice distortion to sound ominous makes me cringe every time... and it's his second talking passage in the song. The first one at least utilizes some interesting imagery and allusions, but it certainly doesn't do anything for the song melodically and indeed starts to drag quite quickly. Let's not forget the cheesy quasi-Middle Eastern touches like the sing-songy chants of Sheryl Crow going "in the garden of aaaaahlllaaaaaah" during the chorus (completely out of place considering that this Garden of Allah had nothing to do with actual Middle Eastern culture; perhaps Don was trying to be ironic, but it was distracting). I think "Garden of Allah" would have been better as a written poem. The way the song is constructed robs the lyrics of their power. A sophisticated concept with many intelligent lyrical turns of phrase becomes farcical in its musical execution. JMHO.

The surrealistic dystopian video doesn't do the song any favors either. Not his best moment, but interesting for completionists like myself who want to see it all, the good and the bad.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

To be honest, I don't like the song at all. I was afraid to say anything too negative. I was astonished to read that Henley put up a million bucks for a video. I know he's said he hated doing them. Of course with a loss like that one, it sure could leave a bad taste in ones mouth.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Out on the Border HenleyFan1971's Avatar

I have a good husband anytime he finds anything Don he sends me a link to it or buys it for me which is cool cant complain he ordered a greatest hit cd/dvd because I had mentioned I wanted to see his videos from the 1980's I found them on VHS but not able to salvaged them

I think yall are being a little hard on Garden of Allah, it's not the most melodic song no, but it has intelligent social commentary, which is one of the reasons I love Don.

Hate the fact that you can barely see him though.

Thanks for posting the video, I'd never seen it before, didn't even know there was a video for that song.
    ~Sara