Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Documentaries

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Music Documentaries

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I assume it's british, based on the high proportion of british acts.
    I hadn't noticed a preponderance of British acts* but now that you mention it, the high profile given to Radiohead's producer would be somewhat unexpected in an American program.

*Assuming everyone knows that "classic rock" remains very popular in the U.S. and British bands such as Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, etc remain mighty in the land. Icons such as Paul McCartney and Elton John are not thought of as foreign, really. We love their accents and clutch them tightly to our cultural bosom.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I love Luther. Still can't quite believe he's gone. That was cool to see the kind of home movie footage of Bowie showing the back-up singers - including Ava and young Luther - how he wanted it done.

One more thing I want to mention about last night's episode (that would be the second) because we have quite a few Pink Floyd fans on The Border: the beautiful and talented David Gilmour, as well as Roger Waters, were featured. They were discussing the recording of Dark Side of the Moon, naturally. Waters is also commenting throughout the program on other artists, such as the Beatles.

Tonight's program is about vocalists, I don't think I'll watch. I say that but then I probably will. I'm weirdly jealous about producers: they have the most fascinating careers, don't they? Darn them.
    I saw this, too. You know, I had almost forgotten how beautiful David Gilmour was in his glorious youth. (Fans her face.)
    I have to go to the airport tonight to pick up the hubs, but I think I can catch most of the episode on vocalists before I have to leave the house.
    (I adore Adele.)

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Did you like the program, Luv? I watched about 20 minutes but couldn't really relate. To me, Tom Waits sounds like Bruce Springsteen on his deathbed. Unique, yes. Someone I enjoy listening to, no thanks.

The Amy Winehouse bit was interesting.

Yes, I watched it all the way through, but I was multitasking again (as usual.)

The vocal episode (which I saw later last night, it was rebroadcast) was not the best. Why do a painfully long ten minutes on Cristina Aguilera and mere seconds on the Queen o' Soul?

The Electronic episode was pretty cool. It was especially eye-opening to learn about the two synthesizer pioneers who worked closely with Stevie Wonder for five years in the 70s, for a series of remarkable albums.

Oh, yeah, the Stevie Wonder bits were sooo good.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    One more thing I want to mention about last night's episode (that would be the second) because we have quite a few Pink Floyd fans on The Border: the beautiful and talented David Gilmour, as well as Roger Waters, were featured. They were discussing the recording of Dark Side of the Moon, naturally. Waters is also commenting throughout the program on other artists, such as the Beatles.

Tonight's program is about vocalists, I don't think I'll watch. I say that but then I probably will. I'm weirdly jealous about producers: they have the most fascinating careers, don't they? Darn them.
    Thanks for the heads up! Will keep an eye out for this episode. Your mention of fans reminded me of an idea I've had for a while - I'll post this in this section of the board.

I think one interesting thing about producers is how they have such different styles. You can see this with the Eagles - Bill S was much more laid-back than the rather headmaster-like Glyn Johns, but Glyn's approach would also contrast with someone like Bob Ezrin who often liked to play on his artists' records whereas I get the sense that Glyn favoured being a bit more distant from the musicians.

Watching the Frankie Miller documentary, "Frankie Miller: Sending Me Angels." Love him and our dear Joe. Such a wonderful story.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Watched "Eight Days A Week" on the Beatles last night. Loved it and find it sad that they had to quit touring because it became such a nightmare for them. What were people that went to those concerts thinking? You probably couldn't even hear them play with all the screaming! I guess they were such a phenomenon that people (mostly women and girls) went crazy! It was pretty ridiculous. I'm glad that now days security has gotten a handle on this!

Great show!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

That's understandable. Did those fans even know the words to the songs. LOL

What was interesting about the Beatles. Even though they stopped touring, they were still putting out no. 1 albums and singles and they didn't even go on tour for those albums. You can't do that these days.