Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gibson introduces Limited Edition Don Felder guitar!

Default Gibson introduces Limited Edition Don Felder guitar!

It's a Don Felder “Hotel California” SG Double Neck guitar. Check it out here: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...-EDS-1275.aspx

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Gibson introduces Limited Edition Don Felder guitar!

Here a interview:
    The Gibson Interview: Don Felder
    http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...n-felder-0811/
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

That thang IS a Monster isn't it?

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

If only I had an extra $9K laying around and knew how to play!! Very cool!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Great interview! I didn't know they actually cloned guitars like that including nicks, scratches, and so forth.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I think they call it "relicing". I've seen several Fender guitars (mostly Strats and Tele's) that they "create old". Or at least looking old. I think it is a fad that will pass eventually. But for now, it is bringing in a higher price than "new looking" guitars.

Here's a pic of one of the Strats found on Musician's Friend followed by a Tele with the same treatment

The above guitars are of the "Roadworn" series by Fender. They are in the $900 range at Musician's Friend. Below is one offered by Sweetwater that is HEAVILY relic'd. It's your's for a tidy $4,000.00

Last edited by MikeA; 08-12-2010 at 05:06 PM.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    Here a interview:
    The Gibson Interview: Don Felder
    http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...n-felder-0811/
    A nice interview. But somebody should tell Don at some point that "Hotel California" isn't as unique as he thinks in terms of chords. Even on the same album, the first five chords in the "You never thought you'd be alone" bit in "Wasted time" are basically the same as in the HC verses. Different voicings, different inversions (when we count what the bass guitar is doing in HC), but basically the same. Exactly the same chromatic descension that Don celebrates in his book as a "weird chromatic" thing in HC. If you listen to "Second coming" by Alice Cooper ('71) or "We used to know" by Jethro Tull ('69), they have pretty much the same chords; just slightly different chord voicings. Ian Anderson has even pointed out the similarity between his song and HC; not in a mean way, but just pointed it out.
    In his book Don also implies that it's a weird modulation when it goes to the chorus. IT IS NOT!!!

"Hotel California" is a phenomenal song, but its chord progressions are not unique. If he wants to listen to unique chord progressions in pop music, I'd suggest some early Genesis, or even some Nirvana stuff.
    Last edited by chaim; 08-13-2010 at 05:42 PM.

Hmm, interesting that Felder doesn't seem to be aware of these things, not even with regard to "Wasted Time"!

HC is a great song on its face; it doesn't need to be pumped up with false claims of uniqueness.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Hmm, interesting that Felder doesn't seem to be aware of these things, not even with regard to "Wasted Time"!

HC is a great song on its face; it doesn't need to be pumped up with false claims of uniqueness.
    I agree that the song doesn't need that "pumping up". And I'm not saying that the song isn't unique, just that the chords certainly aren't. They are not used every day, but it's not like Don invented them.
    I have noticed that pop/rock musicians sometimes think of two chord progressions as entirely different progressions, although the essence might be exactly the same, if there are tiny differences on the surface. There may not be other songs that have EXACTLY the same fingerings as "HC", although the Tull one is darn close, so maybe Don's thinking is based on that. The fourth chord in "HC" is basically E7th, but Don's fingering makes it a E9th. The "E" doesn't come from his guitar, but from the bass. Things like that may sometimes make pop/rock musicians think that it's a "weird chord", although it may be a very basic thing with just one or two extra notes.
    So if we take the first five chords from the "HC" progression and that bit in "Wasted time", the essence is the same, but the surface is different.