Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Eagles/solo song of the moment?

Default What's your Eagles/solo song of the moment?

I tend to get stuck on one Eagles or solo song that I listen to over and over for about a week or two. I have my all-time favorites, of course, but I always find something that makes me really like a certain song even more and I just want to hear it all the time. For instance, I was stuck on Lyin' Eyes for a long time after the May 1st San Jose concert. Glenn just made that song so special for me and Lou that night and I think back to that particular show every time I hear it. I remember being stuck on Heartache Tonight for a while last month just because I heard a certain part differently. At about the 2:40 mark when they sing "Somebody's gonna hurt someone" and then right after that Glenn sings "Somebody" I would just melt every time i heard it (still do, actually ) because I think he sounds so sexy on that part. Ooooh, and also right after that part too when he sings "Everybody".

For the past few days I've been listening to Pretty Maids All In A Row a lot. I had the Ballads cd from Selected Works playing in my car and when that song came on I had to replay it again and again because Joe just sounds so great on it. Also the harmonizing in that song is just gorgeous.

So what's your Eagles or solo song of the moment?
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: What's your Eagles/solo song of the moment?

The one that sticks out for me off the top of my head is the most recent "incident". Secular Praise and the particular line that got me. Here's where I wrote about it, not once, but twice in June. Like you said, you can hear the same song a gazillion times and then one part will just trigger something, like you've never heard it before.

From 6-09-10
    https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...8&postcount=22

And it wasn't just the song that I was stuck on, but the whole cd over and over again.

From 6-10-10
    https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...&postcount=164

I even enlisted Lou to make me a signature bar reflecting that line that I used for a couple months and am sure to pull out again.

And apparently that same line triggered something for me the first time I heard the song on the cd (had heard it a week before live in Chicago-think I was so overwhelmed with that experience, it didn't hit me then).

From 10-26-09
    https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...8&postcount=45

Here's that particular part from the Expando review I did....

"
    10.) Secular Praise-LOVE IT- WOW! This song gives me the chills! It's just so soulful. The words are fantastic, I especially love the verse "Don't go to church, but I feel the weight. Some people think I'm shy. Still I hope to shake the hand of fate before I die." You and I both Tim! The whole Hallelujah part just makes me want to get up and scream amen! Tim's voice is just beautiful in this-what a perfect mix of his and The Blind Boys voices. I would like to have been in the same room as Tim when he was writing this one and would love to pick his brain on what brought this one on."

There have been millions of times that has happened but for some reason this song and one line keeps coming back at me over and over and almost haunting me.
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 08-18-2010 at 08:40 AM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Wow Peek, talk about a weird feeling - as I was reading your post and slowly scrolling down, I was thinking to myself, "I know what mine is. It's Pretty Maids All In A Row, and then I read your second paragraph!

Pretty Maids has been my "song of the moment" for several weeks - about the time I made my current sig banner. That's my current favorite line of the song, but I also love the opening, "Hi there, how are ya", and have had that as my sig banner too. The whole song is pure poetry and can be interpreted as many ways as there are people listening to it.

From the beautiful, melancholy piano fade-in to the to the haunting guitar solo to the harmonious "ooh" fade-out, this song is so beautiful I took my user name from it when I joined The Border.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I love reading everyone else's responses.

I've been listening to The Heart Of The Matter an awful lot lately. Of course it's a beautiful song and many people list it as a favourite, but it resonates with me deeply, particularly when I'm going through a difficult time or when I have things on my mind. The main thing I take away from the song is, obviously, the idea of forgiveness - but for your own sake. It reminds me of a sentiment in one of George Strait's songs, Where Have I Been All My Life? --

Been learning that forgiveness is as much for myself, as it is for the other guy.

There is a situation that has been ongoing in my family for the past few years. I won't go into it because it's far too long-winded, and not triggered by one event - more, one person - and it really took its toll for a long time on me, my mother and my sister, as well as a few others. I've learnt that, although it will probably never be fully resolved and honestly, I won't trust this person wholeheartedly again, I can rise above it and not let it eat away at me anymore. Don absolutely gets that in this song, and sums it up perfectly --

You better put it all behind you, baby, cos life goes on,
    You keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside

These are probably the standout lines in the song for me. I sort of feel like he's singing it to me. It grounds me and reminds me to take a breath. After all, it won't hurt the other party if I'm angry and upset - only me.

Although I love the original recording of this song, the HFO live version is stunning. The slower arrangement gives us time to focus more on the lyrics. The way Don sings it is so, so beautiful.

I'm also a big fan of the Christchurch version. His voice is so rough and emotional. (The cold and rain helped, I'm sure!)

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post

I'm also a big fan of the Christchurch version. His voice is so rough and emotional. (The cold and rain helped, I'm sure!)
    As soon as I started reading your post Lou, that is the first version I thought of! I've always loved that song and also that particular line about letting go of the anger but when I saw the Christchurch version for the first time...WOW! It really blew my mind how emotional it sounded and made me feel!!

Very touching Lou!

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I have a confession... I have not listened to the Eagles in weeks! However, before my "break", I was very into One of These Nights. It's like sex for your ears. So sultry! I must have had then on replay for weeks!

The CD player in my car broke, which is where I do most of my music listening. However, I'm jonesing to hear Secular Praise after reading TBF's post.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    I was very into One of These Nights. It's like sex for your ears. So sultry!
    That is a great way to put it!! I totally agree and feel that way about more than one song and maybe even music in general! Seriously, I can't even express to you how true that is with every time I watch and hear Jimmy Page.

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse
    The CD player in my car broke, which is where I do most of my music listening. However, I'm jonesing to hear Secular Praise after reading TBF's post.
    After posting that this morning, I turned it on and listened not once but 3 times and I swear to you, I shed tears once again. I can honestly say that has become one of if not my most special song. Everything about it just moves me. It's almost as if Timothy and I sat down and talked about this subject and then he put down in words just what I was trying to express and bared my soul to the world. I could pick that song apart word for word and tell you how each one of them moved me in some way or the other.

I've asked myself a time or 2 if I would feel the same way if one of the other Eagles or some other artists had sang it. I believe it's possible but not to the degree I feel it with Timothy being the one singing those words.

My goodness--I must be feeling exceptionally emotional today or something. Timothy, if you are reading this...do you see what you do to me? I'm a mess for you hun!!!

BTW- Jess---LOVE this thread (as I'm sure most of you can tell). Music is the one thing other than my family I feel so very passionate about and it's good to be able to express that here.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    I have a confession... I have not listened to the Eagles in weeks!
    You know, I really haven't listened to them much myself these days. I don't know, I think I needed a break, too.

(please don't hurt us!)

These lines from HOTM resonate with me, too, Troub. They always 'get me' when I hear this song.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post

You better put it all behind you, baby, cos life goes on,
    You keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside
    Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Secular Praise-LOVE IT- WOW! This song gives me the chills! It's just so soulful. The words are fantastic,

The whole Hallelujah part just makes me want to get up and scream amen! Tim's voice is just beautiful in this-what a perfect mix of his and The Blind Boys voices.
    Amen!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I haven't listened to an entire album for a while. I listen to them when they come up on the iPod. The last time I heard a whole batch of their songs was when I did Don's birthday playlist. So I honestly don't have a 'song of the moment'. I did enjoy Most Of Us Are Sad the other day - a song which I don't hear very often but the sentiments seemed quite moving when I heard it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

This is a great thread, Jess. And I must say that I can't argue one bit with anything that has been said in this thread so far.

I guess my song of the moment is Glenn's I Did It For Your Love. Ever since I listened to the Soul Searchin' album on its celebration date a few weeks ago, this song has been stuck in my head. It astonishes me how much this song has grown on me for reasons which can't be explained. For many years, I liked the song but didn't think there was anything really special about it. And then suddenly I heard it a few months ago, and WOW! it hit me like a ton of bricks how beautiful the song is. And now the more I listen to it - it just keeps growin' and growin' and growin'!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016