There's a few documentaries or shows that include information about the Eagles, and I thought we could talk about them here.

I'm afraid I am going to get the thread off to a rocky start with one that I just saw on Netflix called The World's Greatest Albums: Desperado. It is awful. The commentators are all British DJs and journalists who consistently mispronounce Glenn's last name as "Fray." How can you take any rock journalist seriously who does that?!

No band interviews, of course, but there's not even interviews of their peers or people who knew them. Instead, there's just talking heads giving fifth-hand accounts about how Leadon, Meisner, Henley, and "Fray" formed the Eagles and made Desperado.... with lots of speculative "I think what they were trying to do was..." type statements.

Some of what they say is downright incorrect - for instance, they repeat the common misconception that the Eagles got started as Linda Ronstadt's touring band. In actuality, they only played together behind her once prior to the formation of the band, although each man had been in her backing band at one point over the preceding few years. Yeah, it's a little thing, but if you're going to do a "documentary" on the Eagles, do your research.

Additionally, the documentary excerpts a couple grainy videos of two songs from the Seattle and Houston 1976 bootlegs that happen to look exactly the same as the videos from those concerts I put up for download on GFO. If these guys are having to go to the internet for their clips, it tells you just how high-quality the operation is. The rest of the clips, which presumably are legitimately licensed rather than snagged from the internet, are all from the BBC 1973 and the Kirshner 1974 concerts.

It is amateurish crap. Stay away!