Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Documentaries / Shows about the Eagles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Documentaries / Shows about the Eagles

There's a few documentaries or shows that include information about the Eagles, and I thought we could talk about them here.

I'm afraid I am going to get the thread off to a rocky start with one that I just saw on Netflix called The World's Greatest Albums: Desperado. It is awful. The commentators are all British DJs and journalists who consistently mispronounce Glenn's last name as "Fray." How can you take any rock journalist seriously who does that?!

No band interviews, of course, but there's not even interviews of their peers or people who knew them. Instead, there's just talking heads giving fifth-hand accounts about how Leadon, Meisner, Henley, and "Fray" formed the Eagles and made Desperado.... with lots of speculative "I think what they were trying to do was..." type statements.

Some of what they say is downright incorrect - for instance, they repeat the common misconception that the Eagles got started as Linda Ronstadt's touring band. In actuality, they only played together behind her once prior to the formation of the band, although each man had been in her backing band at one point over the preceding few years. Yeah, it's a little thing, but if you're going to do a "documentary" on the Eagles, do your research.

Additionally, the documentary excerpts a couple grainy videos of two songs from the Seattle and Houston 1976 bootlegs that happen to look exactly the same as the videos from those concerts I put up for download on GFO. If these guys are having to go to the internet for their clips, it tells you just how high-quality the operation is. The rest of the clips, which presumably are legitimately licensed rather than snagged from the internet, are all from the BBC 1973 and the Kirshner 1974 concerts.

It is amateurish crap. Stay away!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Documentaries / Shows about the Eagles

I have that video. Picked it up for $10 at Walmart over a year ago. I agree with everything that you said about it. Glenn "Fray" drives me around the bend! Did you notice though, the 1st time that the guy with the long blond hair says Glenn's name he pronounces it correctly & then calls him "Fray" throughout the remainder of the video? Whenever I hear someone say that the Eagles were Linda's backup band I cringe.

Stuck on the Border

This yet again emphasises the fact that we need a proper, authorised history with contributions from the former members. Whether this would ever see the light of day given certain events however, I doubt. My husband just got a Rush documentary which covers their entire career. Even their parents are intereviewed. The Eagles it appears are not that sort of band. The books about them have also been disappointing.

FP, you mention "RUSH". They are here in Wichita, Kansas TONIGHT doing the "Time Machine Tour". "Moving Pictures" in its entirety for the concert. I hope I got that right. I have never been a devoted fan of the band but do like their music...or most of it anyway.

I don't have tickets to the cert tonight.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Mike if you see Geddy hanging around anywhere, will you send him to Indiana. I think he'd be fun to just hang with for awhile. Great sense of humor. You ought to go see them.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Gosh Soda - I thought you already had that. I've had that DVD for quite some time. Can't believe I never talked to you about it. The pronounication of 'Frey' as 'Fray' is a pretty annoying, especially after he said it correctly the first time as GL said.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Heyday TV Documentary - Desperado

For any of you with (British) Sky TV, there is currently a documentary about the album Desperado on channel 192 (Showcase). Its is also being repeated on Channel 238 (Showcase +1) at 6 pm
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Banned

Default Re: Heyday TV Documentary - Desperado

Thanks Glennsallnighter, I'm on it

Stuck on the Border

I managed to catch that and it was... not good. The clips would have been nice except the picture quality was awful and I've seen better versions elsewhere (BBC 1973, Don Kirschner's etc). And the talking heads...
    "Frey" and "Leadon" were consistently mispronounced, the information about the band was superficial and occasionally inaccurate and I didn't know who any of them were except for Barney Hoskyns. Considering it was supposed to be about a "greatest album", most of them seemed quite unenthusiastic.

I still watched it all the way through, so thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I managed to catch that and it was... not good. The clips would have been nice except the picture quality was awful and I've seen better versions elsewhere (BBC 1973, Don Kirschner's etc). And the talking heads...
    "Frey" and "Leadon" were consistently mispronounced, the information about the band was superficial and occasionally inaccurate and I didn't know who any of them were except for Barney Hoskyns. Considering it was supposed to be about a "greatest album", most of them seemed quite unenthusiastic.

I still watched it all the way through, so thanks for the heads up.
    This sounds like the one I bought at Walmart a few years ago. I wasn't impressed!