Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Aspen, CO 09-04-10

Default Re: Party of 2 in Aspen

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Thanks for the compliment, CDave, and the extra info! The above write-up was the result of me writing down the memories of six different people, so I had an advantage over you.

A little post-show note: afterwards, our little "party of six" Border Gang went to eat at an Italian restaurant nearby. Who should we see come in but Michael Thompson!

I suggested we send him a drink to show our appreciation for his contribution to a great show. He was kind enough to come over and thank us personally not once but twice, and talked to us each time for several minutes.

I told him that we fans appreciated how kind he was to us and, after rattling off a few examples of times when he'd done some nice things such as wave from the stage and give us unsolicited guitar picks after a show just because he recognized us as devoted Frey fans and he knew it would make us happy, we all thought he was a pretty special guy. He seemed a bit embarrassed by the praise but it was 100% sincere and deserved. We love us some Michael Thompson!
    That was just the icing on the cake, meeting Michael! I just wanted to add that Michael said he had a lot of fun playing the concert!

Soda, Thank you so much for the detailed review! It is almost thus as if I had been there!

Thanks everyone, I always love to read every review from you all!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Great review Soda! It sounds like it was an amazing concert. I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

WOW....JUST WOW!!! Sounds like a fabulous night! Thanks everyone for all the reviews and insight. Welcome to the new members also! Glad you found us here. I've taken lots of time this morning to read everything and watch the videos and look at the pics. How fantastic!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

And Ann--spill it sister!!!! What new tidbits can you give us about Glenn?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I have been grinning the whole time I've been reading these reviews. So friggin' cool! I, along with everyone else, wish I could have been there. It sounds like the whole night was dictated by a relaxed, fun vibe, which could only have added to the enjoyment of the audience and the musicians.

GREAT write-up as usual, Nancy. Michael Thompson sounds like a cool guy - although you're pretty cool fans, too.

PLS, I laughed reading about the little girl beside you and the things she was shouting out. Too cute! I hope Glenn saw and heard her.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay - As is my usual pattern, I reremember things about these trips a little at a time, so I have to post them before I forget them again. So here's a few other things I thought of ...

PLS mentioned about the statewide 'heat is on' DUI alert. I mean the signs were everywhere along our drive between Denver and Snowmass. I hope Glenn knows they are there. In addition, we passed through Eagle City and by the Eagle River, as well as, a lot of other Eagles-related places. (maybe the other ladies can help me out here). In any event, it's no wonder that the band and Colorado have such close connections.

We had a little girl about 8 standing in front of us as well that was very cute. She was having a blast, and knew the words to a lot of the songs. It brought a big smile to my face to see these young fans loving this music.

Our waitress at dinner Saturday night told us that their had been some "Boss" sightings in Snowmass the last couple of days, and there were rumors that Bruce was going to join Joe and Glenn on stage at the festival. Obviously, it was not to be, but how cool would that have been!!!

And I think Molly in particular will enjoy this last one. When Michael Thompson came in the restaurant, we were in the middle of chatting with the waitress and ordering our dinner. When we recognized him, something was said about us being groupies. And Soda told the waitress that we were groupies without benefits. She cracked up and said she loved that!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

All right, I thought that I had better take the time to tell the tidbits I heard about Glenn, but I told you it wasn't much. I hope you won't be disappointed. This lady said that "back in the day" Glenn would be in Aspen & would jam with whoever was playing, i.e. the locals. One night she saw him hitchhiking, obviously after a party as he was somewhat "under the weather". She was very disappointed that the car in front of her picked him up.

This lady did sewing for people at that time & was doing some work for producer Burt Sugarman's wife, Carol Wayne. Sugarman is now married to Mary Hart. Glenn's place was down over the hill. She described where it was, but I don't know if it's the same place that he has now. Anyway, she used to see Glenn driving by all the time & she would excitedly say "That's Glenn Frey". Said she's been an Eagle's fan since "Desperado" came out.

I haven't seen the girl at the front desk again, the one whose boyfriend got the backstage passes from Scott Crago,to ask her if she got a chance to use them. I'm still lookin for her though!

Thanks for those little tidbits GL - we hungrily devour such things here, as you know.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Such a great writeup Nancy! THANKS!

And GL's trivia: Just goes to show that at least at one time, they really were just "Ordinary Average Guys". Very likely wondering how long it would be before they had money to EAT ON! Somehow, I don't think THAT's going to be a concern of theirs any more <LOL>

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Well I for one would of picked him up AND fed him. Of course I would of been only about 5 or 6 probably. I guess I would have picked him up and taken him home for Mom to feed.

Thanks for giving us those tidbits Ann. Love hearing this kind of stuff!
    He sings it high, he plays it low