Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Randy's 1978 album and songwriting

Border Desperado

Default Re: Randy's 1978 album and songwriting

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I pretty much agree with what everyone has said here. I actually made a similar remark in one of Bernie's thread a few minutes ago. I think Bernie and Randy both appear to be 'band' guys.

I do want to say something about Ralph Emery though. As many of you know, I had a late uncle that was a pretty successful fiddle player in Nashville. He played with Porter Wagoner's and Dolly Parton for many years, and was a friend of Ralph's. I had the opportunity to meet Ralph a couple of times. He seemed to be a really nice guy. From what I understand, he is a kind and giving person, and lent a helping hand to a lot of up and coming musicians throughout his career. It is true that he was 'old school' and did not care for the 'hippies' back in the day. He was a country music purist and was very vocal about not wanting any rock influence invading its traditional roots. He made it no secret that he didn't think there was any place in country music for those long-haired, dope-smoking, liberal hippies. Obviously, as time passed, he softened his views.
    Yeah, if you fit Ralph's vision of what was okay, he treated you like a human... if you didn't, not so much.

As for your broad characterization of folks with long hair, I guess it would include Charlie Daniels who is anything but a liberal.... oh wait, he WAS when it was fashionable, but not so much when he got older and it wasn't marketable in his new market which was Nashville.

Strom Thurmond supported segregation and was a Klan member... he 'softened' his views when he either saw the light or when he needed to (like George Wallace) to get elected.... I will say that while I forgave Strom's earlier stance, I didn't 'forget' that he victimized a lot of people needlessly through his actions. (I am using Thurmond as an example of someone who was 'a really nice guy' to people he liked and cruel and nasty to those who didn't fit.)

Ralph screwed a lot of people and helped some people who fit his view (and he was a VERY powerful DJ at WSM)... to me, he abused his power and was one of the folks responsible (along with Chet Atkins) for derailing country music and for adding cheesy string and horn arrangements and schmaltzing it up...

Ralph tried very hard to destroy the california/bakersfield sound and early on was awful to Haggard, Buck Owens etc... so... I"m glad he was nice to your uncle or whatever... but, Ralph's legacy is that he only adjusted when he had to... never a leader, always a follower...
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

When it comes to making personal judgments about Ralph Emery, it is important to note that Dreamer's uncle actually knew the guy....

I agree that it wasn't nice of Ralph to hurt the feelings of some rock stars eager to capitalize on the country market, or be rude to the country musicians he didn't care for because they wore their hair too long or whatever.... but that's how a lot of older folks are. It doesn't make them horrible people, nor does it define them and render anything good they do meaningless. Plus, he would not be the first man to use sharp, insulting words to criticize those he didn't agree with or like, would he now?

Indisputably, he gave Meisner/Roberts some exposure at a time when they were hardly on the A-list.

One can argue he was not sincere in his praise of them, but unless one can read minds, that's just speculation which can be easily colored by preconceived notions.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    When it comes to making personal judgments about Ralph Emery, it is important to note that Dreamer's uncle actually knew the guy....

I agree that it wasn't nice of Ralph to hurt the feelings of some rock stars eager to capitalize on the country market, or be rude to the country musicians he didn't care for because they wore their hair too long or whatever.... but that's how a lot of older folks are. It doesn't make them horrible people, nor does it define them and render anything good they do meaningless. Plus, he would not be the first man to use sharp, insulting words to criticize those he didn't agree with or like, would he now?

Indisputably, he gave Meisner/Roberts some exposure at a time when they were hardly on the A-list.

One can argue he was not sincere in his praise of them, but unless one can read minds, that's just speculation which can be easily colored by preconceived notions.
    Oh, the accounts of Ralph I got from friends who 'KNEW' him too and got the full force of his treatment... so, it isn't legend.. it is the guy.

at the point that they were on Ralph's show on TNN, he needed the booking as badly as they did, so he was doing them a favor.

If the words I use are critical... so be it. The historical record is the record... what I wrote is pretty commonly known about Ralph Emery... that doesn't mean that I dismiss him, just that just because he 'softened' doesn't mean that he did it because his heart changed... if he had continued his pocketbook would have been impacted...

Hey, you guys love Ralph and think he is a great guy and I have been told by friends (and I actually watched his show for years, don't know if you ever really watched ol'Ralph and shotgun red) and listened to him on the radio... so, over time and with accounts from musicians who dealt with him... I have a 'tempered' opinion of him....
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I've also thought it was interesting that the first track off of Randy's solo album was actually a Frey/Souther composition! For those unfamiliar with it, the song is called "Bad Man." I guess feelings mustn't have been too hard for that to be featured as the first song off of his first album. However, it is odd.

For those who would like to listen to the song:
    I actually don't find it that odd that Randy recorded Bad Man for his first album. JD Souther sang background vocals on several of the songs on that album. I think that the song being featured first on the album is either coincidence or it could have to do with the song being on the FM soundtrack.

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

True. It makes sense that a song from FM would get the first slot.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    Oh, the accounts of Ralph I got from friends who 'KNEW' him too and got the full force of his treatment... so, it isn't legend.. it is the guy.
    Sorry bender - I guess I was confused about this. I got the impression from your earlier post that you knew Ralph. The only reason I responded to you in the first place was because you were painting a very different portrait of the man from everything I have ever read and heard about him.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender
    If the words I use are critical... so be it. The historical record is the record... what I wrote is pretty commonly known about Ralph Emery... that doesn't mean that I dismiss him, just that just because he 'softened' doesn't mean that he did it because his heart changed... if he had continued his pocketbook would have been impacted...
    Well, again what you say is "pretty commonly known" about the man is quite a contrast to what I've heard and read about him. As usual, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I think it is human nature that most people want to help the folks that they like more than the ones they don't. I know for sure that there are lots of people in Nashville that hold Ralph in a very high regard, so I guess the jury is still out about what his legacy will be.

Hey, you guys love Ralph and think he is a great guy and I have been told by friends (and I actually watched his show for years, don't know if you ever really watched ol'Ralph and shotgun red) and listened to him on the radio... so, over time and with accounts from musicians who dealt with him... I have a 'tempered' opinion of him....
    I don't love Ralph - I don't even know him. I have met him two or three times and been on the set of his show with my aunt and uncle, but I don't claim to know him. I only know what I have read, heard, and observed.

In your earlier post you said:

Ralph Emery is a huge dick... I've never met someone who was more of a horse's ass...
    Thanks for not letting us know how you felt before you tempered your opinion of him.

And BTW ... Sorry - I didn't mean to take this thread so off topic.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Smile Re: Randy's 1978 album and songwriting

I think everyone is being to tough on Randy. I don't know that he was trying to do the Eagles style and it just wasn't working as much as its a tough song to sing. Ever try it? You have to pick the songs you sing the best and let the other ones slide. I heard Poco live back in the old days when Randy was in the group, and they were great.

Cheers,

Mike T.