Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Purdue Exponent Cartoon Causes Uproar

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: Purdue Exponent Cartoon Causes Uproar

besides the fact that one in ten men and women convicted in this country are actually innocent. I know that's a real unpopular idea, but imagine if it were your brother or father accused and facing these penalties. Our system is NOT by any means perfect but it's the best one out there. All I ask is for each and every one of us to be responsible for what we put out there in this world, that includes the news media.

Banned
    Sunset Sound Studios - Buried Alive in the Blues

Not to belabor the point, but does anyone remember, a long long time ago, when a wife (legally) was not obligated to testify against her husband?

So, whatever anybody called it…it wasn’t rape.

And, no matter what its technicality status, he couldn't (among other things) kidnap her either. Of course, that was then...
    Last edited by Nobody'sBeach; 09-25-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep, NB. I do remember. All I've got to say is ... thank goodness, this is now!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    They did so much better this time vs. the time Indiana hero Bobby Knight said "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."
    Look at the progress the hoosiers are making!

I guess it is safe to 'be back home in Indiana' (now)

I was so worried the cartoon was going to incite america's youth to commit sex partner swapping/rape!

Hey, Didn't Mike Tyson rape that girl in Indianapolis before this comic?

What is it with Indiana and rape?

I fail to see your point with these comments.
    As a Hoosier and a PU alum, I think there are many "teachable moments" in this situation. I am not condoning the publication of the cartoon, but this act was done by kids that are media influenced from the moment they hit the ground. Some say it's bs, but I think it's influenced this crop of kids as no other, and not in a good way. Who hasn't made fun, been crude, or hurtful of a situation at another's expense? When we were young, imature and irresponsible it's part of life. But now there are media figures making millions on this kind of Shock stuff. Howard Stern comes to mind. This, IMO was a similar act, made by some young, very stupid kids. And everything with technology today is a very visible outlet. We're deluged by similar things daily on sex, race, religious offensiveness. It desensitizes people to the cruelty of words and actions, especially the young or stupid - As reflected in the above comments that I've quoted. One would hope we would advance our thinking, and these kinds of attitudes towards woman and others would have evolved by now. As a glimpse into our morality as a culture, we're regressing, not proceeding as one would hope. My friend has a freshman girl at PU, and I know this is a big discussion on campus. Hopefully this cloud will have a silver lining and some of these knuckle-dragging mouth breathers will learn something. We can only hope.
    Last edited by jdubfan; 09-27-2010 at 09:47 PM.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5316660629_4a27633c34.jpg
    Good morning my ...
    ~Deb~