Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Purdue Exponent Cartoon Causes Uproar

Default Purdue Exponent Cartoon Causes Uproar

Last Friday, a cartoon was printed in Purdue University's student newspaper in a column entitled "Sexual Position of the Week." It depicts non-consensual sex (aka rape) as a "sexual position" and plays it for laughs. There's been a big uproar about it. It will be interesting to see how it is dealt with by the editorial board and if the school's administration will comment. Personally, I was appalled. If you're morbidly curious, here is the link (posted by a student group protesting the cartoon) - ETA: I had to remove the link because the site was hacked, but you can see the cartoon here.

I hope it at least engenders discussion about what exactly rape is - that it doesn't have to be violent to be violation.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Purdue Exponent Cartoon Causes Uproar

Stuff like that makes me ill. Rape is nothing to take lightly

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

You know the sad thing about this is that the editors that published this didn't even realize that this is rape. I guess that's the core of the problem. If nothing else, maybe some good will come out of this and it will at least open up a dialogue to bring more awareness to the issue.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I spent quite a bit of time reading the comments to the editors, too. Amazing that such a thing could be printed. I hope they have printed a retraction/apology by now.
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    Amazing that such a thing could be printed.
    exactly. I only want freedom of the press when it suits me!

I'm guessing the authors were sophomores.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    exactly. I only want freedom of the press when it suits me!

I'm guessing the authors were sophomores.
    There's freedom of the press and then theres inciting social irresponsibility and the idea that a violent crime like rape is OKAY and even comical. The press has to have some responsibility in what it chooses too print. You can scream freedom of the press as much as you want, but someone somewhere chooses what to print and that choice IS Bias! So do we bias it towards social irresponsibility and shock value? or do we choose to report on reality? Reality, in this case, is that rape is a violent crime, not a joke. By printing a cartoon like that, they are pandering to the absolute lowest and basest part of humanity. I occasionally get teenagers screaming the F word over and over in the park across the street in the middle of the night. Is THAT freedom of speech? I dont have a problem with freedom of the press, but I do have a problem with a lack of responsibility in that freedom.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Very well stated ticky. ITA!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It seems the university agrees. 5 top administrators wrote this in a letter to the Purdue Exponent's editor:

===================

As an independent student newspaper, you have the right to publish without interference from the Purdue administration. However, as members of the University community, we have the responsibility to point out messages that threaten the dignity and safety of our students and jeopardize the tolerant and respectful environment we strive to create and sustain.

The “comic” that you published in the Sept. 17 issue appears to celebrate non-consensual sex or rape. There is nothing celebratory about rape. Rape is a tragic offense to the person involved and is an extreme offense against our community standards. As educators, we ask you to consider the various perspectives this image invokes. How would a person in such a position feel? What does the reader take away about Purdue students? What kind of behavior might such a cartoon condone? We encourage you to examine the individual rights you suggest denying while engaging in your right to free speech.

While respecting free speech, we urge you to respect Purdue University’s values and commitment to create an inclusive environment that promotes tolerance and respect of every individual, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual preference or political views. We feel the cartoon published Sept. 17th has no redeeming features. We write here to express and reinforce our shared values in support of human dignity.

We were heartened to see your apology in Monday’s paper. We encourage you to be more thoughtful and reflective in your editorial review by balancing your freedom of speech with your responsibility to the Purdue community.

TIMOTHY D. SANDS
    Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs & Provost

MELISSA E. EXUM
    Vice President for Student Affairs

BEVERLY DAVENPORT SYPHER
    Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs

G. CHRISTINE TAYLOR
    Vice Provost for Diversity & Inclusion

A. DALE WHITTAKER
    Vice Provost for Undergraduate Academic Affairs
    =====================================

And here's the Apology from the Editor herself.

Border Desperado

They did so much better this time vs. the time Indiana hero Bobby Knight said "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it."

Look at the progress the hoosiers are making!

I guess it is safe to 'be back home in Indiana' (now)

I was so worried the cartoon was going to incite america's youth to commit sex partner swapping/rape!

Hey, Didn't Mike Tyson rape that girl in Indianapolis before this comic?

What is it with Indiana and rape?
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is.