Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wente Winery-9/20/2010

Default Wente Winery-9/20/2010

Nice review-"It was a garden party!" -and for only 1,300 people. Check out the full review here: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/201...nley-at-wente/

Carol-Lynn
    SoCalGal

Default Re: Wente Winery-9/20/2010

Another review

Don Henley flies like an Eagle at Wente

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/c...nclick_check=1
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

So my son came home from work on Friday and said,"Do you think you can get Monday off Mom? I seem to have this extra ticket for the Don Henley concert." Let me think about it...YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wente Winery is a beautiful setting. Just a few buildings surrounded by some huge trees set in the middle of a vineyard. They had chairs and tables set up in the courtyard between the buildings. No seat is more than 60' from the stage. In its tradition of supporting music education in the local schools Wente auctioned off a 3 liter bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon signed by Don before the concert started. It eventually went for $4,750.

The lights went down and shadowy figures filed onto the stage. As the opening notes of Dirty Laundry sounded the lights came up and Don Henley took the stage. He looked and sounded great of course. He was wearing dark pants with a shirt that looked steel grey or sage green depending on how the lights were hitting it with a black jacket. And the brown boots. Without comment he followed this with Long Run and One of These Nights. It was really interesting to hear these harmonies sung exactly the same and yet sound so different.

Don addressed the crowd for the first time with a "Good evening" in that deep voice. People were clapping and cheering so much he just stood there for a minute, then gave a small chuckle. O course this led to even more extended applause. Don made a gesture with his hand, kind of like ok...ok...and eventually the crowd quieted. Don conversed with the audience for a few minutes and the following is paraphrased.

Thank you for buying that bottle of wine.
    More applause. I hope it's REALLY good. This brought a chuckle from the crowd and someone up front must have have made a comment because Don responded, for $5,000 a pop I'll join you. Maybe we could sell another bottle for Walden Woods...we need money too. He commented that it was nice to be at Wente after having just done a show outside in Vegas. "It was hell. This is beautiful...it's like a garden party." He followed with commentary about the VMA awards that was quoted in the Merc and after the laughter died down he said he wanted to play a tune off his last album...10 years ago. "I don't like to make 'em fast I like to make 'em good."

Everything Is Different Now- I was struck by how beautiful his voice is. So many songs are at the upper end of his range and he sings them in that raspy manner but when he dropped down lower to sing the verse it was just beautiful.

New York Minute
    -hearing the stings felt odd knowing Al wasn't there with his violin but I'm probably the only person who was looking around for him when I heard this or the horn parts.

End of the Innocence
    -He began this really slow with minimal instrumentation; almost a cappella. I just loved it.

Everybody Wants to Rule the World-this got the crowd up and dancing. Don ended this with, "Ain't it the truth? I know some of you out there are saying 'is that his song?' That comes under the heading of songs I wish I wrote." He then said' "Excuse me...I gotta do something." He went to the side of the stage and took something from a tech or roadie. As he was walking back to his mic stand he held it up and said, "channel locks". He the proceeded to adjust his mic stand. He razzed the guy about doing his job for him and made a comment about modernization being the hallmark of civilization...that's certainly true in Beverly Hills.

He told us he was going to change the order a bit. I figure you've got enough wine in you we can get away with it. I'm working on a new album...a country album. I'm from the country...a little town of 2300 people. What passes for country music today makes me wanna puke. I call it hat music. This is a tribute to George Jones. They called him possum. He went on to tell a story about George getting in trouble for driving the riding lawn mower down to the local bar in his day. Another Texas boy...we can't help it. He played a song I don't know that was heavy on steel guitar honky tonk sound about a couple having problems and the repetitive theme was I just don't give a damn. He finished it and said, "There."

I can't read my writing as to what he sang next. Sorry I had about a half a bottle of wine that night.

Heart of the Matter
    - During this I noticed quite of few couple had left their tables and gone over to the grass on the side to dance.

Sunset Grill- He changed the line to "have another wine" instead of beer.

Well tomorrow is the first day of fall. They've been putting out Halloween decorations since the end of August. It's one of my favorite holidays so we're gonna do this one for you.

Witchy Woman-This really got the crowd excited. Many more people got up and started dancing.

Last Worthless Evening
    -slowed things down a bit but he followed it with Boys of Summer and kept the crowd enthused.

All She Wants To Do Is Dance-There was someone in front of us stuck in the 80s dancing her little heart out to this. On the woo part Scott lifted his drum stick up in the air. Don did a little jump as he hit the last note.

For the encore he did Life in the Fast Lane holding the mic out for the audience to sing the "life in the fast lane" part of the chorus. I enjoyed having him out front while singing this. Although I did miss seeing him on the drums.

They came back for a second encore with Hotel California. No he didn't do the "uh". Then he introduced the band which consisted of Steuart Smith, Michael Thompson, Scotty Crago, Lance (?Morganson), Will Hollis and Frank Saenz(sp) fine musicians all.

Thank you we've had a wonderful time at your party.
    Again someone down front must have said something because he said, "No, thank you." Then here we go and launched into Desperado.

I'm so glad my boys treated me to this. The older one bought the concert ticket and the younger bought momma a t-shirt.

GREAT review, PLS, thanks so much! It sounds like it was such a relaxed, intimate show - wish I could have been there. I'm getting a real kick out of the fact that he seems to be mixing things up a little bit and bringing out his country side.

I love this quote. I can see this appearing in my signature sometime very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Little Sister View Post
    "I don't like to make 'em fast I like to make 'em good."
    Lastly, this cracked me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Little Sister View Post
    I can't read my writing as to what he sang next. Sorry I had about a half a bottle of wine that night.
    Who can blame you! Glad you had a blast.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

What a great surprise PLS from your boys!! You obviously raised them right!! Glad you enjoyed yourself so much. Sounds like a great time.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

How cool!This was very nice from your son!

Thanks for your review!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm so glad to got to go to this, Lissa! Yeah for your sons. Glad you had such a great time and sounds like Don was having fun too.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

That's really cool that you were able to go to this PLS. Sounds like it was a great concert! Thanks for the review

So glad you got to go to the show! Sounds like a fun time.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Very Cool, PLS!! I'm so happy that you got to go to this show. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."