Rocky Mountain Way

[Encore 2]
    All She Wants to Do Is Dance
    Desperado

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Louisville, KY 10-16-10

Glad to hearyou had a good time!
    Thanks for the Set list!

Here is a Concert Review from last night!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

YAY!! I'm so glad you got to go to this one too, Soda. Can't wait to read your review.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

“Take It to the Limit” started strong and quickly grew into an epic country-rock spiritual of surprising power. On the flip side, soft-hearted ballads like “Peaceful Easy Feeling” and “Best of My Love” benefited from being part of a communal love fest, as if the largely older crowd was reliving a particularly fine day in 1974.
    Thanks for the review Koala. I liked this part, and basically was trying to say the same thing in my Indy review.

And two encores again? Damn those Indiana Pacers!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

OK--I thought I had lost my mind (again)! It's been one of those weekends, so I haven't been on the board at all and last night I get a cryptic text from Nancy telling me what seats "we" have gotten. What? I looked at hubby and told him Nancy must be in Louisville for the Eagles concert but I didn't think I knew she was going. Well that's because I DIDN'T!

You silly kids!!! I'm so glad you do this so I have something to look forward to after EVERY concert pretty much!! Can't wait to hear more about this last minute journey!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Hotel California [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I584IgKjVTM[/ame]

Life's Been Good [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaueRi6e-Pg[/ame]
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Dreamer and I just woke up - it was nice to sleep in - and I'm going to put our review here before we head out to brunch and then go our separate ways - for now!

Pre-concert

As I stated in the “pre-concert” thread, Dreamer and I decided to do this at the last minute and we drove up there without tickets.

I was asking myself if I was crazy as I drove the five and a half hours to Louisville from Memphis after just seeing the guys a week ago (not to mention in June and May as well) but I really wanted to hear “Best of My Love” live for the first time, plus end on a full show. I thus was able to convince myself that making the trip to attend this show was quite reasonable and declare myself perfectly sane.

We got to the KFC Yum! Center and it was thronging with people. I was very nervous; this was the opening of the venue and no comps would be dropped. I had visions of getting an incredibly sucky seat, and had prepared myself mentally for it. I said things to myself like, "You've been up front many times before, Nancy, more than most. Be glad of that and don't be bummed if you can't be up up front THIS time. You don't need to be right up front EVERY time, do you? You don't need to be up front to have a good time.... What's important is the music... you can enjoy that no matter where you sit..." etc. etc. lol Therefore, when we got up to the window and the lady told us there were two seats in the third row of Floor Section 3 on the center aisle, we grabbed them and counted ourselves lucky. While we weren’t up close, we had an unobstructed view of the guys from our aisle seats, lots of room for dancing, and the concert experience was still incredible!

I also want to note that we met Cheryl and her sister Kay before the show and had a chance to have a good talk with them. They are so nice and we definitely are birds of a feather in Eagles fandom!

THE CONCERT

Of course, the guys all looked great as usual. Tim was in his gray outfit; Don was also in gray; Glenn had his big dark blue/white/black plaid shirt over a white shirt; Joe was in a black T-shirt with silver shapes on it with a black jacket over it. We’ve seen all these before, I know, but I report them anyway! Man, Don looks good with that beard.

There was very little talking compared to Austin and previous shows I’ve seen. No long stories or extended song intros and even the new Witchy Woman intro was truncated to nothing more than “It’s nearing Halloween.” But hey, if it allows the guys to fit in one more song, I can handle that.

There was a lot more creativity on the guitar – several of Joe’s solos were varied from the usual and Glenn played more bits, shining in the spotlight, and even added a couple twists to one or two of them.

Seven Bridges Road
    Once again, my heart started pounding as I saw those guys line up for "Seven Bridges Road" in the dark. I knew it would probably be the short version but better that than nothing. "How Long" was a powerful opener but this takes your breath away. It was magnificent - everyone was vocally nailing it - and I knew this was going to be a good night.

How Long
    Going right from "Seven Bridges Road" to "How Long" works well, I think. It keeps everyone on a high with its energy. I know I was rocking out. Once again, Don looked great. While as the show progressed I noticed he was far from the "Giddy Don" described for Indy and he was more subdued than he was in Austin, he was still in good spirits. He was dancing around with no problem so if there is a "trick knee" it is not holding him back any.

After that, Glenn said “Hello Louisville! Next we’re going to play a couple new songs from our album Long Road Out of Eden by Timothy B. Schmit and then The Bomber – Joe Walsh.” I thought it was a hoot that he called Joe "The Bomber." The way Glenn talked about the album all night it was like they'd just released it. It brought me back to the first full show of theirs I saw on this tour: Chicago 2008.

I Don’t Want to Hear Any More
    It was nice to hear this song again. Timothy puts us all in that mellow groove effectively.

Guilty of the Crime
    Joe’s voice was off for this, but it improved as his throat opened up. The piano sounded great on this – I can’t remember which of the keyboardists plays it, though! When you have three keyboardists not including Glenn's contributions, it can be challenging.

Hotel California
    As the trumpet solo started for this, people around us were trying to guess which song it was - I guess they don't own Farewell 1. (As PM mentioned in her review, I felt a pang for Bill Armstrong.) Dreamer and I pretended not to know what song was coming up. "Hmm, what could this be? What album is this off of?" Of course once it became obvious that it was "Hotel California," everyone was on their feet! (I bet Don loved this crowd. For the most part, we all stayed seated for ballads and stood up for the fast numbers. The best of both worlds!)

Peaceful Easy Feeling
    This was performed so well I got chills! We were all swaying to the music, and I sang along with the "ooohs." So romantic, so affecting. At the end, you feel warm all over. Me loves!

I Can’t Tell You Why
    I thought Tim sounded especially good tonight, but maybe that was because I was already loving the show so much. The way he was standing made his shirt open a little more to expose more chest (I think my Tim dream made me appreciate his hotness to a greater degree now).

Witchy Woman
    Don just said “Halloween is coming…” and then they went right into the song. Don's vocal was VERY hot. The drums were really energetic and powerful here. This new way they’re doing it really rocks. Love Glenn's solo. Don even bent his legs, leaned back, and thew his head back for some of the notes on this. Yes, he's doing just fine.

Lyin' Eyes
    To my relief, Glenn didn’t tell the Plaintiff joke again (I don't why that particular joke has become so cringe-worthy to me - it's not as if they don't repeat others jokes - maybe it's just because that particular joke has hit the 10-year mark). He just said “That last one was from our first album. This next one is from 1975. 1975 was a good year for those darn Eagles. Don and I were living together in a house in the Hollywood Hills." No Dan Tana's story. He just paused, then grinned. "Sing along if you know the words.” The guy behind me said "I bet I can sing along with every song they do." As voices rose in unison around us and throughout the arena, it was apparent that he wasn't the only one.

Boys of Summer

What can I say? Everybody loved it. Side note: When Glenn and Steuart did the crouch thing, Glenn’s guitar came unplugged! He laughed a lot at that.

In the City
    People were sitting down for this; so did I. Still, I chair danced a lot. Gone were Joe's initial vocal problems. He did great, and of course the guitar smoked.

The Long Run
    Don said “Hello Louisville!" but he pronounced it "Loo-ville." Apparently that's how they say it around here, and Don proudly declared, "Yes, I know how it's pronounced. Loo-ville." He got lots of cheers and woots from the locals for that and looked quite pleased with himself. He added his usual, "We’re going to take a break – and you can take a break, too. Then we’re coming back and we’re going to play a real long time.” Of course we all cheered at that!

Glenn once again did the bit from Austin where he shook his head at “Did you do it for love?” and nodded when Don sang “Did you do it for money?” I find that hilarious!

[Intermission]
    During intermission, we sought out Rick and his wife at the front. They are another really nice couple and we had a good time chatting with them. Rick had his heart set on "Rocky Mountain Way." I told him it wasn't a sure thing and he said he knew that, but declared that if he saw that talk box come out, he was going to holler loud enough for the entire arena to hear!

[Set 2]

No More Walks in the Wood

Dreamer pointed out to me that Joe wasn't actually singing on this. I knew you couldn't pick out his voice but it wasn't until I watched the screen where you can see him up close that I realized his lips weren't really matching the words. Oh well, I get the "band unity" thing so if Joe can't pull it off vocally, I don't mind them faking it for the purposes of looks. It sounded magnificent.

Waiting in the Weeds
    Ah, my favorite off of Long Road Out of Eden that they perform live! From Glenn's acoustic bit at the outset to the beautiful instrumental played by Will Hollis, it was perfection. Don's vocal was terrific.

I have to say, though, that as I could now fully see the visuals for this behind them, I found them way too literal and simplistic. "I've been waiting in the weeds" [photo of weeds, OK, I understand that, but...] "Now the ferris wheel has stopped" [photo of ferris wheel], "flavor of the week" [picture of ice cream stand] "baby what a mess" [photo of mess] "now I'm following the plow" [photo of plow]. Geez! It's like a bad YouTube montage by someone who doesn't think beyond the literal. I found it especially disappointing since that song is so richly metaphorical; it's kind of ridiculous when Don sings "flavor of the week" - which is obviously figurative - and have that be represented by an ice cream stand. More mood and less "examples of the lyrics" please! That's the exception, though. Most of their backgrounds are good.

No More Cloudy Days
    Reminiscent of earlier shows, Glenn said “Those were both off of the new album. The first was the acapella tune 'No More Walks in the Wood' and then the beautiful song 'Waiting in the Weeds' written by Don and our guitarist Steuart Smith." That's the first time I'd heard him say the names of the songwriters or call Steuart "our guitarist." He continued, "That was our botanical portion.... you know, wood, weeds..... botanical." OK, yeah, I got that, Glenn. "Next is our meteorological portion: 'No More Cloudy Days'. You know, we watch the Weather Channel a lot when we’re on the road, especially when we’re playing outdoor venues....”

Don then intoned dramatically “Storm Chasers!”

Glenn laughed. "Yes, Storm Chasers." He then emphasized that the next song, "No More Cloudy Days," was Track 8 for some reason. He does that a lot. Whenever I hear him say that, I always think, Sugar, no one cares what track number it is.

All that aside, it sounded lovely.

Love Will Keep Us Alive
    As usual, Tim pointed to various parts of the arena and said hello to the people in the cheap seats. He also gave the floor some love, too! He told us we were all appreciated. He then said that it was great to open the arena, that he could see it was packed. Next, he intro’d the song as being from Hell Freezes Over, which got cheers.

Near us, there was a couple slow-dancing to it in the aisle until security sent them back to their seats. Very romantic (later they would get a little out of control though)! I thought, This song is so freaking beautiful and tender. I want to slow dance with a guy to this. I don't care what the haters say!

Best of My Love
    Don said, “This is a song off of our third album that we wrote with our friend JD Souther.” (I screamed loudly, knowing what was coming up, but I got odd stares from clueless neighboring people). He encouraged us to sing along, just like JD Souther did at his show that I went to back in 2008.

I was so freaking excited. This is what I came for. I adore this song and I've never heard it live. It was fantastic, although I was a little surprised that Don never sang "Every night and day" at the end. The guy behind me did, though! lol! I loved it, of course. I sang along, swayed, and felt all warm inside.

BTW, Michael Thompson used Glenn’s keyboard from "I Can't Tell You Why." I also noticed that Glenn mouthed the words to the verses. Another cute moment: at the part of the song where the "woah, woah, woah, woah"s-are slowed down a bit and kind of syncopated, Don used his finger to indicate the new beat so we could all sing along! Oh my gosh, such a beautiful song.

Take It to the Limit
    Glenn did the credit card joke but he said it so quickly I'm not sure a lot of people got it. I missed the Austin arrangement which was more dramatic, but I think this was the most powerful "acoustic on the stools" version of it I've heard.

The audience agreed. It got the biggest and longest ovation of the night (not counting the ending songs where everyone is wild throughout). You know how it usually is - people sit for the beginning, then at the end you get the immediate standers, then the folks who say "Yeah, I'll stand, too" and maybe a third wave before it all settles down. Here, more and more people just kept standing and standing and getting louder and louder until pretty much everyone was on their feet and cheering. It lasted for about two minutes before we had to move on to the next song. Glenn looked a little bit surprised at how huge the crowd response was but what can I say, it was powerful. He shouldn't have been surprised that the song could move people like that; it has for decades - although perhaps it isn't always that visible. Oh, how I love that song.

Long Road Out of Eden

Time to settle down and be reflective, eh? Someone must have turned up the subwoofer because it was making the entire venue shake when the bass would throb. In contrast to "Waiting in the Weeds," this song has very effective visuals which I was able to enjoy from my spot. I especially love the image of Caesar's Palace during "Met the ghost of Caesar" - what great irony!

Walk Away
    Joe started rocking hard core on this one - in fact, it rocked so hard that it made "In the City" look like a ballad. At the part at the end where Joe, Glenn, and Tim are all wrapping it up together, they went on longer than usual. I love that because with every riff rotation, it revved the crowd up further. We were all lovin' it! Joe got such roars for this that, afterward, Don simply pointed at him and said "Mr. Joe Walsh!" to more screams.

One of These Nights
    As usual, Glenn intro'd this with "That was from our 'Satanic country rock rhythm’n’blues period.'” The vocal was VERY sexy. Heck, it makes you feel sexy just listening to it! Glenn throwing his head back for those "aaahs" is also... um... affecting.

[Band Intros]
    The ovations for the guys were spread pretty evenly here, with everyone jumping up for Tim and staying up. There was a lot of love for all the guys in the room tonight! Tim added to his usual bit introducing Glenn that he was “the man of 1000 jokes” (despite the fact that he only pulls out the same dozen or so lol) and that he was “the one who started this whole thing with Don.”

Joe was walking all around the back and not in the spotlight while Glenn was introducing him, until he finally got in the spotlight when his name was said. After his intro, he bent over and pulled a bunch of Kleenax out of box (he did this in Austin, too). It's kind of random and bizarre, but that's Joe. It's better than him pulling out toilet paper and pretending to be Stevie Nicks like he did back in the early nineties (I kid you not). Everyone was cracking up.

Life’s Been Good
    Joe did the “everybody say…” bit for the intro where he makes us all repeat “Hey!” “Ho!” “Uh!” “Um!” then “Beepboopaloobopbopbamboo…. Eh, never mind!” He also did the joke about “You may remember this song… not sure I do… Glenn told me I wrote it… we’ll see how I do.” I've heard that before but it still makes me laugh. He did his duckwalk bit, which everyone loved.

Dirty Laundry
    With Tim's encouragement, everyone was clapping along. I didn't notice folks around us laughing at the joke magazine covers, though. I wanted to say, "People, don't you see those funny covers? I mean, 'Monkey sues Joe Walsh'? 'Timothy B. Schmit in Harry Potter 8'? They're freaking hilarious!" Oh, well, I guess they were watching the guys instead. Imagine that! However, the Eagles Rolling Stone cover got a big roar! At the instrumental portion, the guys lined up to play but didn't jump as far as I could see.

Funk 49
    Glenn and Joe didn't do their "guitar duel" bit. Some folks were sitting down for this song, but at this point, Dreamer and I were dancing away. Dreamer had moved out into the aisle and there was lots of room to get down.... so get down I did. I'm not sure if it was during this song, but Glenn flung his arm across his eyes dramatically as Joe's guitar climaxed. They did the usual "freeze frames" at the end of the song. I love that - it looks very cool!

Heartache Tonight
    When the horns blasted those familiar opening notes, practically everyone stood up and started dancing in front of their chairs and even the aisles with us. It added a whole additional element to the show - dancing with thousands of people. Maybe it was because we were further back and had more room, but the dancing was a lot wilder than usual. It was tons of fun! Like Austin, the crowd was getting downright frenzied.

Life in the Fast Lane
    Very few were sitting now, and very few of those standing would sit again. There was a point, during Joe's guitar solo at the end, where Don, Glenn, and Timothy lined up and bent back dramatically at the end of each bar, all in unison. Love it!

[Encore 1]

Take It Easy
    Once again, I have to say I just love how this song makes everybody feel so good. Dreamer and I think it should be placed in the second encore with "Desperado," but no matter where it is, it screams "WE ARE THE EAGLES AND WE HAVE BEEN AWESOME SINCE 1972."

Rocky Mountain Way
    I thought of how excited Rick must be when I heard this one start up! I also was thrilled because I haven't heard this one in a while (with the Eagles, that is. I obviously heard it in Aspen courtesy of "The Party of Two.")

[Encore 2]

All She Wants to Do Is Dance
    Speaking of being thrilled to hear something that I haven't heard in a while... it's been over a year since I've attended a show where they pulled out this sucker! By now, I had moved out into the aisle with Dreamer and a bunch of other women and we were acting out this song like you wouldn't believe! I was actually flushed and out of breath by the end. Glenn of course did his cute dancing, but he should have gotten a load of us! We put him to shame!

Desperado
    Time to bring it on home with "Desperado." The guy behind me, who had been shouting "DESPERADO" from the outset almost every time they started a song, must have been pleased! It was achingly beautiful, and it was made even more poignant when I considered that this would be the last time I saw them for a while (hopefully not the last time ever, but still).

[Goodbyes]
    They took their time with this. I always appreciate that. Don and Glenn hugged! Don blew someone a kiss... wonder who the lucky lady was?

Glenn thanked us and said that they'd had a good time. Someone near me hollered, "Not as good a time as I had!" If the number of smiling faces was any indication, that was the sentiment of the vast majority of the audience.

What a night - it was a very "high energy" show, as Dreamer said. I'm SO glad I went. They killed on every song. When the show goes down like that, you're gonna have a great time no matter where your seats are.

Once again, I must note that THE EAGLES ROCK MY WORLD.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

..love your reviews Soda...lucky you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuck on the Border tequila girl's Avatar

Fabulous review once again Soda - Thank You for making it so real!!
    ~Carole~

There is no more new frontier - we have got to make it here

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

WOW! Soda, I hadn't realised you were going either. It sounds like you had a fabulous evening. It sounds like the boys are in absolutely top form. And 2 encores??? Could you ask for more?

As always a wonderful review too. I love how you write.

I too still think of LROOE as being a 'new' album, even though it will be 3 years released later this month. WOW! How time flies.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP