Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Return to 'Giant'"

Default Re: "Return to 'Giant'"

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    It's available in a 2 disc set, the original movie Giant and the 2nd disc is the one you want. On Amazon.
    I saw that on Amazon but it didn't say anything about the documentary being on it so I wasn't sure?...thanks

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

bRE...

i CHECKED ...KEEP SCROLING DOWN AND THE DOC IS MENTIONED TOWARDS THE END.
    GOOD LUCK.

TT

TT...let me know how you like it..then maybe I'll order it.

Ok Zelda,
    will do

tt

I don't know about TT but I finally got around to ordering this last week and Don Henley does a very good job with the narration of the documentary. He doesn't dominate the narrative - most of the documentary consists of interviews of people who worked on the film, behind-the-scenes footage, and clips from its promotion (naturally) - but his contributions are well done.

As for the movie itself, as a Texan, I enjoyed its portrayal of a people who were flawed but could learn and overcome. I love and miss Texas. It has problems but every place does. It will always be my home state, no matter how long I live elsewhere, and I am proud to call myself a Texan. Honestly, it made me a little homesick. Despite the fact that Southeast Texas looks quite different from West Texas where Giant is set, it has its share of ranches, and my old hometown Beaumont was where oil was first discovered in Texas.

Elizabeth Taylor is stunning; Rock Hudson, James Dean, and Dennis Hopper are terrific. The plot moves slowly and takes its time telling the story so it's not for everyone, but it's a good example of a big Hollywood epic that captures a time and place very well.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado RebeccaLovesEagles's Avatar

I've had the movie and doc for years and i've never noticed it's Don Narrating. Maybe I need a brain/ear transfer. Time to put the doc in

You know you have some delicious bugs here about on the Mississippi... Extra Protein thank you very much!!!!-Don Henley- At the St. Louis, MO concert June 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I don't know about TT but I finally got around to ordering this last week and Don Henley does a very good job with the narration of the documentary. He doesn't dominate the narrative - most of the documentary consists of interviews of people who worked on the film, behind-the-scenes footage, and clips from its promotion (naturally) - but his contributions are well done.

As for the movie itself, as a Texan, I enjoyed its portrayal of a people who were flawed but could learn and overcome. I love and miss Texas. It has problems but every place does. It will always be my home state, no matter how long I live elsewhere, and I am proud to call myself a Texan. Honestly, it made me a little homesick. Despite the fact that Southeast Texas looks quite different from West Texas where Giant is set, it has its share of ranches, and my old hometown Beaumont was where oil was first discovered in Texas.

Elizabeth Taylor is stunning; Rock Hudson, James Dean, and Dennis Hopper are terrific. The plot moves slowly and takes its time telling the story so it's not for everyone, but it's a good example of a big Hollywood epic that captures a time and place very well.
    nope ordered i just have no watched it yet....love james dean ,.,,,I just needed to have it, ya know what I am saying ....
    Last edited by Tiffanny Twisted; 08-28-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Border Desperado RebeccaLovesEagles's Avatar

K i just re-watched it. How I missed Narrator Don Henley in Big Yellow letters I don't know He did a great job narrating it. TT I love James Dean TOO

You know you have some delicious bugs here about on the Mississippi... Extra Protein thank you very much!!!!-Don Henley- At the St. Louis, MO concert June 2010.

I bought this just for Don Henley's narration but I do appreciate it as a Texan too. Really liked it.
    ~Sara