Page 13 of 195 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Don in the Press/Blogs/etc.

It is nice, isn't it? I wonder if the guys have designated Don as the press contact on the tour, because he seems to be the one who does most of the advance PR when they arrive at each city.

Love the new av, soda--that pic is one of my all-time favorites.

Ah, yes, I love that avie. I call it "avieDonBeautifulEyes." And so people know what we're talking about once I change my avatar again...

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default New Brunswick show

Here is a very interesting interview with Don in advance of the New Brunswick show. Along with his usual articulate and thoughtful responses, he gives some insight into the routine of the various band members:

NEW BRUNSWICK BUSINESS JOURNAL, 8-01-08, BY ALAN COCHRANE

Interview with an Eagle--
    From the haunting tones of Hotel California and The Boys of Summer, his songs have chronicled the lives, loves, fears and heartbreaks of a generation.

Born in Texas on July 22, 1947, Henley has been the voice and thought behind many of the Eagles biggest hits and a driving force behind one of popular music's most enduring bands. He has also enjoyed a successful solo career as a musician and social activist. His lyrics are often the product of self-reflection in the glaring spotlight of fame.

In advance of the Eagles show at the Magnetic Hill Concert Site on August 2, the Times & Transcript requested an interview with a member of the band. Although telephone interviews were not possible, promoters asked the newspaper to submit questions that could be answered by e-mail. Henley answered our questions by e-mail from his laptop computer.

In this e-mail Q&A, he talks about his daily routine of life on the road, the legacy of the Baby Boomer generation, the trap of drugs and alcohol that has destroyed many talented young people, changes in music over the years and the Eagles' philosophy involved in writing, recording and performing songs that people can relate to.

ALAN COCHRANE: Congratulations on a new album and touring. How does it feel to be back on the road again together?

DON HENLEY: Thank you. We're very happy to be back on the road again. We have actually been touring regularly since we reunited in 1994. It's been going extremely well.

A.C.: Can you tell us about the set list/production for this show? Have certain songs included, or left out, for particular reasons? Do the songs reflect the Eagles history as well as the solo projects/hits by individual band members?

D.H.: Our set list is a mixture of classic Eagles hits plus songs from our respective solo recordings and, on this tour, we're including several songs from the new album. It's a good cross-section of material that spans the 36 years of our recording careers, both as members of the Eagles and as solo acts.

A.C.: Which songs bring the greatest crowd reaction?

D.H.: Well, it's a bit different every night, but you can always be assured that "Hotel California" will get a huge reaction.

A.C.: Do you see generations of fans coming together in their appreciation of your music?

D.H.: We have been very gratified to see a lot of younger people at our concerts in recent years. Obviously, baby boomers make up our core audience, but it appears that our fan base is becoming more cross-generational and we think that's great.

A.C.: The Moncton show is so far the only outdoor venue on the tour. What are the pros and cons of outdoor versus indoor shows? Have you ever been to this part of the country before?

D.H.: Weather is always a concern at outdoor shows, plus if our show starts before dark, then neither we nor the fans get the benefit of all of our high-tech lighting and video equipment. I just think there's more magic after dark. On the other hand, the music sounds just as good at any time of day and it's fun to be able to see how big the crowd is.

A.C.: Do you expect the tour to be mentally/physically draining? How do you prepare for it? What is the daily schedule like?

D.H.: Touring has always been mentally and physically draining, regardless of how it's done. That's just the nature of the beast. No matter how glamourous and exciting it may look from the outside, it's hard, gruelling work and it takes its toll. Still, it beats the hell out of a 9 to 5 gig. All of us in this band, even in our worst, weariest moments, are deeply grateful for what we have. We've been extremely fortunate - but we've also found that the harder we work, the luckier we get.

The daily schedule is a bit different for each of us. The goal, on the road, is to sleep in for as long as possible because we work primarily at night and we need our energy to peak then. However, no matter how late we went to sleep, most of us are up well before noon because of our other job - parenting. Also, there is a lot of band business that must be addressed in the daytime. I start my day with a good, strong cup of coffee and then go to my laptop where there are dozens of e-mails waiting. I initially check in with my own office and then I check in the with the Eagles' management office in LA. On a typical day, I will exchange 30 or 40 e-mails and phone calls with our manager, plus more e-mails to family, friends, my charities, etc. If we are on the road, I go to the hotel gym in the early afternoon and spend about two hours there doing aerobics, weights, stretching, etc. The band usually leaves the hotel at mid-afternoon to go to the venue. Soundcheck normally begins at 4 p.m. Dinner for band and crew begins at 5 p.m.

We all have our own, personal rituals that we do in our dressing rooms before every show. Timothy and Joe do voice exercises. I ride my stationary bike for half an hour and do a little more stretching. Glenn often takes a nap or watches a sporting event on TV to relax. He's very knowledgeable about sports; he's an avid golfer. Most shows begin at 8:15 p.m. because we like to wait until all the audience members have found their seats.

A.C.: Anything to say about the opening acts: John Fogerty, K.T. Tunstall or Sam Roberts Band.

D.H.: John Fogerty has long been one of my musical heroes and now I'm proud to call him my friend. I'm afraid I don't know much about the other two acts, but I wish them well.

A.C.: Much has been written about tension among band members in the past. Is everyone getting along?

D.H.: We're getting along just fine, thank you. But even when we're not getting along, even when there is turmoil within the band or the organization, we don't take it onstage with us. Our job is to give the fans the best performance that we are capable of, so we make every effort to leave our personal problems behind - at least for the three hours that we are performing. That's an important aspect of being a professional - not bringing your problems to work with you. The fans expect and deserve our best - every night. Our problems should never be their problems.

A.C.: The music of the Eagles has chronicled the ups and downs, loves, losses and heartbreaks of the Baby Boomer generation. What do you think are the generation's greatest achievements, and greatest blunders?

D.H.: That's a pretty weighty question. There's no simple answer. Being a Boomer myself, I can say with some insight that my generation, as a whole, didn't follow through on achieving or living some of the ideals it espoused in the 60s. We ended up becoming the first "Me Generation." At some point, we abandoned "Us" in favor of "Me." But the "Me" thing has gotten even worse with subsequent generations. It's totally out of control now, which, in my opinion, indicates a continuing cycle of bad parenting - bad and getting worse. Also, we have allowed our so-called leaders to place politics above science, especially in terms of the environment. So, we haven't made much real progress on that front, particularly during the last eight years. Speaking strictly as a citizen of the U.S., I think our biggest mistake was electing George W. Bush as President. I'm not sure that colossal blunder can be laid solely at the feet of the Baby Boom Generation, but we certainly played a large part in it.

On the positive side, there have been some encouraging breakthroughs in science, especially medical science. The mapping of the genomes is going to lead to some wonderful things in terms of cures for heretofore incurable diseases. Having lost several friends and family members to cancer and heart disease, I look forward to that day.

A.C.: So many musicians have fallen victim to their own excesses and the gruelling lifestyle. Do you have any advice for young players who want to make music but avoid falling into the traps of drugs, alcohol and self-destruction?

D.H.: I tend to refrain from giving advice to young people unless they ask me directly - except for my own kids, of course. I give them advice every day. Sometimes they listen; sometimes they don't. But to young musicians who want a career in music, I would say this: an enormous amount of time and talent was wasted by members of my generation doing things that were considered "cool" at the time. Many of those same temptations and distractions are still around.

Some say it comes with the territory, but it doesn't have to be that way. We have all read and heard about the jazz, blues and rock legends who had very self-destructive lifestyles, many of them meeting a tragic end at an early age. Young artists make the mistake of trying to mimic that kind of lifestyle because they believe it makes them and their work "authentic." I think that most artists - especially the younger ones - have a deep-seated fear that - to quote the great Paul Simon - they're just "Fakin' It." They know how fickle and fleeting fame can be, so they begin to self-medicate and many don't have the strength to break the cycle. The members of this band all went through that dark tunnel, but we made it out the other side. We all have strong survival instincts.

Also, young artists should work to have a strong group of friends and collaborators - people who will tell them the unvarnished truth about their work, their behaviour, etc. The same is true in terms of agents, lawyers and managers. It's often difficult to find business associates who are willing to risk their jobs in order to tell an artist what he or she needs to hear. They don't want to derail the gravy train. But it is possible to find honest, trustworthy guidance. It just requires a lot of digging and some sharp, gut instinct. We've had the same manager for 34 years and he has played a large part in our continued success.

A.C.: Music has undergone great changes over 30-some years, from country, hard rock and disco through punk, new wave, glam, big hair, the music video revolution, grunge, hip hop and beyond. Has popular music suffered or grown stronger from all these changes?

D.H.: Both, I think. There is an enormous amount of crap out there now - so much mediocrity and outright garbage. Of course, there always has been, but there seems to be so much more of it now, even in a declining business environment. Music, in terms of both art and commerce, is a cyclical thing. There are good years and bad years. The Internet - the digital revolution - has changed everything and soon there will probably be no more CDs - no physical product to hold in your hands. But music - the good, the bad and the ugly - will continue, although it appears that, in the near future, no one will get paid for writing and recording it. The only way a professional musician will be able to make a living will be in live performance - and that's certainly going to weed out a lot of the fakers. The teeny-bop acts and the talent-less rock bands will continue to come and go. They'll get their 15 minutes in the limelight, but eventually the public decides what is real and meaningful and what isn't. You can't fake it for very long.

A.C.: The music of the Eagles has continued to be an inspiration for young musicians and a favourite staple of radio airplay. What is it that people love about the Eagles?

D.H.: People seem to love groups. We have four distinct personalities, four different voices, four individual styles. We offer variety, both musical and personal. Fans have more to choose from in terms of who and what they like. But in the end, it's the songwriting and the musicianship that keep us around. We do honest work and we care about that work, and I think people sense that and they appreciate it.

A.C.: Some critics pass off the Eagles and other "nostalgic" bands as no longer relevant. Do you strive to be relevant, influence public opinion or be political, or just make music for people to enjoy? Do you think people want nostalgia, or cutting edge?

D.H.: If the opinions of the critics mattered, we would have been extinct long ago. We strive to write and record quality material that, first and foremost, meets our own criteria. Given the complications of the band dynamic, we don't always get there, but we try. We are all students of music history, both popular and classical, and we make a conscious effort to write and play in a variety of styles reflecting our numerous influences. We have a collective knowledge and a deep respect for all the great pioneers of blues, country, folk, jazz, soul and rock music and we draw creative water from that well. While love songs, of one kind or another, make up the bulk of our material, we do occasionally venture into socio-political territory, but we don't delude ourselves about influencing public opinion. We're just basically reporting; we're reflecting our culture and people can make of it what they will. We're not trying to tell them what to think or how to live their lives. We don't have that kind of influence.

At the end of the day, we want to make music that people can relate to; songs that make them feel like they are not alone but are part of a larger community that has the same desires, frustrations, hopes and regrets. For better or for worse, we're all in this together. It's not about nostalgia versus cutting edge. People of all ages just need to feel like their lives matter.

A.C.: Where do you look for inspiration these days?

D.H.: Books, music, films - there is so much stuff coming at us, these days, it's hard to cut through all the clutter, but a few times a year I will read or hear or see something that just knocks me out. Also, I look to my children, I look inside myself, I look at the world and, when I can find an unpolluted sky, I look up at the heavens. As battered and corrupt as it is, planet Earth is still a miraculous, awe-inspiring place, floating in an unfathomable universe. But I don't think people look up very much anymore. We all seem to be preoccupied with ourselves and our earthly issues, as petty as many of them are. I wish that every person on Earth could travel up to the International Space Station and look down at this little, blue planet. The human race needs a new perspective.

A.C.: What happens after this tour? Are more dates coming? More solo projects?

D.H.: After this tour - more touring. We will do this as long as people want to come and see us. There will be some solo projects, if time allows, but, right now, the Eagles come first.

A.C.: Anything else to add?

D.H.: We want our fans to know how much we appreciate them and how grateful we are for all the years of support. They are the reason that we continue to do what we do.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Edited to add:

1- "After this tour-- more touring"--I'm glad to hear that!
    2--Looks like we need to hang out on the hotel gym the afternoon before each show!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    And DF - thanks for posting that interview. That was fantastic. I just loved it - that is Don at his adorable best!!
    And at his quotable best. I just love the way he talks about finding inspiration:

"I look to my children, I look inside myself, I look at the world and, when I can find an unpolluted sky, I look up at the heavens. As battered and corrupt as it is, planet Earth is still a miraculous, awe-inspiring place, floating in an unfathomable universe. "

That certainly inspired me.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    And DF - thanks for posting that interview. That was fantastic. I just loved it - that is Don at his adorable best!!
    And at his quotable best. I just love the way he talks about finding inspiration:

"I look to my children, I look inside myself, I look at the world and, when I can find an unpolluted sky, I look up at the heavens. As battered and corrupt as it is, planet Earth is still a miraculous, awe-inspiring place, floating in an unfathomable universe. "

I totally agree with you DF!
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan

Yeah - but you're so easy!!!!

He sure does have a way with words though, doesn't he!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Oh, drats ! In Atlantic City we stayed at the same hotel as they did and had I known their schedule then, I could have hopped on a treadmill next to one of them. Although I would probably hyperventilate and fall off and make a fool of myself.

More touring, yay !

Thanks for posting the article. Don Henley is a very intelligent, articlulate guy. But he is very outspoken about his politics and I hope it does not turn off people who disagree with him.

The Times & Transcript printed this in a column yesterday about the New Brunswick T&T email interview with Don above:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On the concert front, Sleuth can reveal that not only are the Eagles an all-time great band, but they've got class too! Any journalist can tell you how tough it is to get an interview with musicians of this stature (they've done so many through so many years, many of them just simply stop, having little more to be said and few questions left unanswered already). But journalists try anyway. So when T&T editor at large Alan Cochrane approached organizers about possibly interviewing one of the Eagles, he was not surprised by the "not likely" answer. But they did suggest that he send in questions by e-mail and maybe, just maybe, the band would reply. So he did, then went on vacation, not really expecting a whole lot to come of it.

His real surprise came upon returning from vacation to find an e-mail from the Eagles publicity company in Los Angeles. Attached to the e-mail were Don Henley's lengthy, thoughtful and detailed replies to each of his submitted questions. It was more than generous, must have taken Henley considerable time and effort to compose and made for a great "interview" (you may have seen it yesterday in this paper). Now that's class! It shows the Eagles to be a band that cares about and respects its fans. And should Mr. Henley be reading this, Ol' Sleuth passes on Mr. Cochrane's thanks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I am also a writer, I have often played this game myself--what questions would I ask Don if I were ever given the chance to interview him? I agree with "Sleuth" that the prospect is daunting, because they have been interviewed so many times over the years. The T&T interviewer came up with thoughtful and relevant questions, giving Don the chance to give excellent responses.

And yes, Dreamer, I am that easy!

Quote Originally Posted by siny
    Thanks for posting the article. Don Henley is a very intelligent, articlulate guy. But he is very outspoken about his politics and I hope it does not turn off people who disagree with him.
    I disagree with the majority of Don's politics in a major way.....but that being said.....he's still my fav.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    Quote Originally Posted by siny
    I disagree with the majority of Don's politics in a major way.....but that being said.....he's still my fav.

That's good to know. You must be very open-minded.

That was so nice of Don Henley to type up all those long, thoughtful answers while they are in the middle of the tour. So many other artists would give some standard answers just to get it over with.